Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Model 3 Design Studio now open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly, Tesla lists the provincial incentives as part of their pricing for AWD and P-AWD. I think this is an oversight, especially since there's a link to the list of eligible cars which only shows LR+RWD.

Perhaps it's an oversight but even if it's pointed out to them, I bet it doesn't change. Tesla just wants you to order, then they'll deal with eligibility for rebates, etc. when it comes time to take delivery.

I wonder how many extra orders this nets them and if they'll offer returns if anyone reneges due to the reverse not being offered on the P M3.

In early 2014, when the BC rebate last ran out, Tesla told me a few people took refunds rather then delivery of their vehicles and paying the extra $5k. Tesla didn't forfeit the deposits -- but whether they would do the same thing this time around I guess only time will tell. My guess is they will offer your money back then give your config to the next in line for the same options -- since most people just suck it up and only a few cancel -- hence the reason Tesla generously shows rebates, some of which don't even apply now.

As long as the MSRP is under $77k, it should qualify.

And provided there's rebate money left. At the rate it's being used up in BC, since it also applies to plug-in hybrids, it will be gone long before the 2020 budget can replenish it.

Last edited:
I wonder how many extra orders this nets them and if they'll offer returns if anyone reneges due to the reverse not being offered on the P M3.

Good question. We only get $5K in BC which I don't think is a deciding factor for that target market (i.e. at this pricing level you probably either have the finances or you don't). It's gets murkier for you guys in Ontario who get a whopping $14K which pushes the car price down several notches and makes it a lot more accessible if the rebate is given.

I would imagine you would have a strong case to get your full deposit and reservation amounts refunded if were to back out of the sale.

Good question. We only get $5K in BC which I don't think is a deciding factor for that target market (i.e. at this pricing level you probably either have the finances or you don't).

That's what I thought too so I was surprised to learn that anyone cancelled when the rebate funds were all used up last time, but Tesla told me some did -- and the S is even more expensive than the 3.

I would imagine you would have a strong case to get your full deposit and reservation amounts refunded if were to back out of the sale.

Yes, and that's likely why Tesla offered it back last time. But they could have tightened up the wording so people need to be careful agreeing to anything if they don't intend to buy without the rebate.