Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Model 3 vs. US Model 3...should I be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just got the text that our Model 3 is ready for delivery, but here is the catch...they said that it was targeted for Canada, so they had to make a few modifications before it can be delivered on Thursday. Does anyone know what those modifications might be? A quick google search was less than stellar mentioning something about seat belts, visors, and stickers? Do the Canadian drivers know how theirs is different? (very excited..but wondering if I should wait)?

Units default to km instead of miles.

Fuel injector tuned slightly differently to meet Canadian environmental rules. ;)

Enjoy the new car!!

FYI,
It's wintertime and the temperatures are cold. The battery will have less capacity when it is cold (<50F) especially when it is much colder, expect a 30% drop in capacity and be happy when you get less.

The windows automatically drop when you open the door. If the car sits out in the weather and the windows and seals get frozen, break the window seal before trying to open the door. Just slide something like a credit card between the windows and door.

If for some reason, when charging, the charger just won't release, there is an emergency charger release in the trunk, close to the charge port. Don't pull really hard.

You can charge with the included mobile cord off of 120V. You won't get but a few miles per hour increase, but it depends on how far you drive. If the car sits outside, a good portion of the 120V may be used to just maintain the car, not charge it.

My rep just called and said they have a 2019 (canadian was 2018) same configuration except it has the 19" wheels. He first asked if I was OK paying another $1500 for the wheels, to which I asked...just swap out the wheels....he said he is going to look into it. May not be able to do that..but that would be awesome if they could.

We just got the text that our Model 3 is ready for delivery, but here is the catch...they said that it was targeted for Canada, so they had to make a few modifications before it can be delivered on Thursday. Does anyone know what those modifications might be? A quick google search was less than stellar mentioning something about seat belts, visors, and stickers? Do the Canadian drivers know how theirs is different? (very excited..but wondering if I should wait)?

There might be something with the headlights (day-time running) I am not sure. It would not be anything major though.

US and Canadian cars are largely harmonized, but Canada has stricter immobilizer requirements and in Canada, DRLs cannot be overridden. Probably just a software flash is all that's needed.

I know with S and X that used Canadian cars can be exported to the US, but not the other way around.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
One of the obvious hardware differences with the S & X was the color of the seatbelt buttons. The Canadian buttons would work fine in the US but the US buttons wouldn't be allowed in Canada. With the Model 3, they are the same, so that shouldn't be an issue.