Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Model S and X Owner Thoughts...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking about this the other day. I have a 2016 S90D and I know there have been much longer Tesla owners than me and I'm curious to gauge Model S and X owners experiences and thoughts on the cars and the entire Tesla experience.

Do you still like/love/hate your car? Would you buy another Tesla? If so, why or why not? Any thoughts on Tesla the company and Elon?

I am VERY conflicted and I'm wondering if there are others out there like me and what they plan to do in the future.

For me... I will start by saying, after more than 5 years of ownership, I still love my car (you can see "fanboy" under my avatar...and yes, I'm still a fanboy of my car). My wife continues to drive an ICE Suv so when I need to be reminded about why I fell in love with the Model S, I just drive hers. Again... strictly for me, I have never enjoyed a car so much. That hasn't changed.

I do miss the days of only seeing S and X owners at superchargers and having the experience of seeing familiar faces and exchanging stories about our "novel" cars. However, that is not to say I wanted it to stay that way... I love the progress of seeing so many 3's and Y's on the road. It's awesome to see that advancement.

Here is where my conflict begins...I am former Lexus owner and simply put, my cars never broke. The flipside is that I've spent about $2,000 in repairs on my vehicle since January. Obvjectively speaking, from a reliability perspective, my car is a piece of junk. I have spent more on repairs for this Tesla than I did for my 10 year old IS350 (with double the mileage), my wife's last two RX's and our Honda CR-V (combined).

Additionally, Tesla customer service is almost non-existent in my experience. My last two service appointments were "changed" by Tesla the morning of the appointment with NO apologies and no real explanation other than "this service must be done at the service center". That's fine, but I couldnt' have been told that a day, two days or a week in advance?

On top of that, I've come to really dislike Tesla as a company (I just don't think they really value their customers) and I think Elon has become (or maybe always has been) a real jerk. The latter isn't a huge deal, but it's hard to support a company where you think the head honcho is a douche.

Having said all that... It's coming time to get a new car and frankly (other than maybe a Lucid and their abysmal charging network), I have NO desire to buy anything other than another Model S. My wife will also be in the market for a new SUV and we test drove the Y, but it wasn't for us, so she's most likely to get an X. This time around, I'll probably buy an extended warranty (for both) but is it crazy that I still LOVE this car???

I have similar feelings

Still love the car, and have fond memories of how the whole Tesla experience used to be - but those days were relatively short lived, and all goodwill seemed to vanish with the arrival of the 3

Service at the Vancouver centre is still quite outstanding though, there are some long term employees there who still know what customer service means

Elon - has become a bit of a loose cannon. I always wonder if these mega rich people have anyone around them to keep them grounded, or do you just end up surrounded by yes-men. He needs to stop it with the wanky tweets and utter lies regarding progress/timelines. I was taken in by the full self driving video, and told anyone that would listen about it

Fool me once - and with original FSD owners now selling on their cars never having seen what was promised ‘next year’ come to fruition, I’m sure there will be more disillusioned owners or ex-owners out there. I’m happy with my AP1 - which is enough autonomy for me

What Tesla has going for them right now though, is there is no alternative - I’d still buy another

Reactions: Struja
I was thinking about this the other day. I have a 2016 S90D and I know there have been much longer Tesla owners than me and I'm curious to gauge Model S and X owners experiences and thoughts on the cars and the entire Tesla experience.

Do you still like/love/hate your car? Would you buy another Tesla? If so, why or why not? Any thoughts on Tesla the company and Elon?

I am VERY conflicted and I'm wondering if there are others out there like me and what they plan to do in the future.

For me... I will start by saying, after more than 5 years of ownership, I still love my car (you can see "fanboy" under my avatar...and yes, I'm still a fanboy of my car). My wife continues to drive an ICE Suv so when I need to be reminded about why I fell in love with the Model S, I just drive hers. Again... strictly for me, I have never enjoyed a car so much. That hasn't changed.

I do miss the days of only seeing S and X owners at superchargers and having the experience of seeing familiar faces and exchanging stories about our "novel" cars. However, that is not to say I wanted it to stay that way... I love the progress of seeing so many 3's and Y's on the road. It's awesome to see that advancement.

Here is where my conflict begins...I am former Lexus owner and simply put, my cars never broke. The flipside is that I've spent about $2,000 in repairs on my vehicle since January. Obvjectively speaking, from a reliability perspective, my car is a piece of junk. I have spent more on repairs for this Tesla than I did for my 10 year old IS350 (with double the mileage), my wife's last two RX's and our Honda CR-V (combined).

Additionally, Tesla customer service is almost non-existent in my experience. My last two service appointments were "changed" by Tesla the morning of the appointment with NO apologies and no real explanation other than "this service must be done at the service center". That's fine, but I couldnt' have been told that a day, two days or a week in advance?

On top of that, I've come to really dislike Tesla as a company (I just don't think they really value their customers) and I think Elon has become (or maybe always has been) a real jerk. The latter isn't a huge deal, but it's hard to support a company where you think the head honcho is a douche.

Having said all that... It's coming time to get a new car and frankly (other than maybe a Lucid and their abysmal charging network), I have NO desire to buy anything other than another Model S. My wife will also be in the market for a new SUV and we test drove the Y, but it wasn't for us, so she's most likely to get an X. This time around, I'll probably buy an extended warranty (for both) but is it crazy that I still LOVE this car???
I have a 2016 S75D, uncorked and just upgraded to MCU2/V11

I bought mine used in 2019 and it only had 26.5k km. It now has 82k km and I couldn't be happier.

I am still madly in love with the car. I can never get enough of the buttery smooth, instant now on, relentless thrust/torque regardless of speed with zero drama/fuss.

I got my car from Tesla directly in June 2019 and came with a 4 year /80K km warranty. So essentially my car is covered till July 2023 and (26.5k + 80K km) 106.5k km (whichever comes first).

I've had the following repairs so far - all covered under warranty of course - so it's been zero cost to me so far.
  1. 1 door handle replaced and 2 handles serviced for being squeaky - Tech ranger visit
  2. Strange clicking noise from front suspension - had the Adaptive Air suspension modules replaced
  3. Coolant valves (big battery) replaced - one had a slight leak, but Tesla replaced all 3 at the front of the car
  4. Glovebox replaced - it stopped closing, that's why it had to be replaced. - Tech ranger visit
  5. Trunk staying closed - this just happened yesterday. It will be fixed under warranty - I have an appointment scheduled for next week.
I live near the Oakville Service Center and they have always been professional and prompt. I have not had a bad experience with them so far in 3 years.

I am definitely not conflicted in my opinion of my car. The car makes some strange, faint rattle sound behind the dash that annoys me and I will get Tesla to look at it next year before the warranty runs out. Other than that and the items mentioned above, the car has been flawless.

Will I get another Tesla when mine needs replacing - as far as I'm concerned - yes, that is my opinion today.

I honestly couldn't care less about Elon and his shenanigans on Twitter or him being labeled unhinged or whatever. That's my 2 cents. :)

I have an (same night as it was revealed) early reservation for a CyberTruck and I will probably end up getting one when it eventually comes out as my wife gets very stressed out driving the S as I'm anal about keeping the car in very good condition - she's always concerned about the car getting dinged in a parking lot because of my paranoia - even though I don't get stressed about the car in a parking lot. The CT will reduce her stress because of the advertised steel body....

My previous car was a Lexus GS400, so I'm familiar with the awesome build quality and reliability. I honestly don't miss the car. The pros on the S75D far outweigh the cons IMO.

My son has an IS250 AWD and the AC imploded on itself last year and unless he spends upwards of $2K, the AC can't be fixed. Lexus is not flawless either.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 S75D, uncorked and just upgraded to MCU2/V11

I bought mine used in 2019 and it only had 26.5k km. It now has 82k km and I couldn't be happier.

I am still madly in love with the car. I can never get enough of the buttery smooth, instant now on, relentless thrust/torque regardless of speed with zero drama/fuss.

I got my car from Tesla directly in June 2019 and came with a 4 year /80K km warranty. So essentially my car is covered till July 2023 and (26.5k + 80K km) 106.5k km (whichever comes first).

I've had the following repairs so far - all covered under warranty of course - so it's been zero cost to me so far.
  1. 1 door handle replaced and 2 handles serviced for being squeaky - Tech ranger visit
  2. Strange clicking noise from front suspension - had the Adaptive Air suspension modules replaced
  3. Coolant valves (big battery) replaced - one had a slight leak, but Tesla replaced all 3 at the front of the car
  4. Glovebox replaced - it stopped closing, that's why it had to be replaced. - Tech ranger visit
  5. Trunk staying closed - this just happened yesterday. It will be fixed under warranty - I have an appointment scheduled for next week.
I live near the Oakville Service Center and they have always been professional and prompt. I have not had a bad experience with them so far in 3 years.

I am definitely not conflicted in my opinion of my car. The car makes some strange, faint rattle sound behind the dash that annoys me and I will get Tesla to look at it next year before the warranty runs out. Other than that and the items mentioned above, the car has been flawless.

Will I get another Tesla when mine needs replacing - as far as I'm concerned - yes, that is my opinion today.

I honestly couldn't care less about Elon and his shenanigans on Twitter or him being labeled unhinged or whatever. That's my 2 cents. :)

I have an (same night as it was revealed) early reservation for a CyberTruck and I will probably end up getting one when it eventually comes out as my wife gets very stressed out driving the S as I'm anal about keeping the car in very good condition - she's always concerned about the car getting dinged in a parking lot because of my paranoia - even though I don't get stressed about the car in a parking lot. The CT will reduce her stress because of the advertised steel body....

My previous car was a Lexus GS400, so I'm familiar with the awesome build quality and reliability. I honestly don't miss the car. The pros on the S75D far outweigh the cons IMO.

My son has an IS250 AWD and the AC imploded on itself last year and unless he spends upwards of $2K, the AC can't be fixed. Lexus is not flawless either.
Statistically speaking, your Lexus is more of an anomaly than the norm. I think Elon himself has even admitted that they have to do better with the quality of their cars. I also bought my car directly from Tesla and I had 4 years or 80k tacked on to the 20k I bought it with (although the service center did once try to say I was out of warranty once I passed 80k).

The Oakville and Lawrence locations for service aren’t very convenient for me so I don’t have much choice but to stick with the Missy location.

BTW… I think I have been in for repairs 4 or 5 times in 2022 and I never get a loaner anymore. Is this standard now? I’m really not a fan of the crappy Uber voucher.

@Struja All I can say is you're perspective isn't dissimilar to mine in so many ways. I originally had a 2016 for 9 months before a crash wrote it off. During that time, I had a feeling that the pack was insufficient and suffers from premature degradation, there were telltale signs of suspension issues forthcoming, louvre creaking, and the AP1 setup amongst others. My experience with a 2017 S was, to say the least, exceptional. I think they did make significant changes between 2016 and 2017. With the 2017, it was a much better experience - it had very few problems, and better positioned for AP upgrades. Only had a front link replaced earlier this year (I'll consider the headlights that were replaced because of the DRLs a separate issue - but VERY expensive to replace). So far as service goes, it's been good. So far as sales goes, it's been terrible - especially for 2021/22, and that's exactly where you're right about whether Tesla gives a s#it about it's customers. Even compared to 2018 when we got the Y, it's gone downhill. Why the hell does Tesla think it's okay to give customers 3-5 day windows to pick up their cars after 18 months of waiting for Tesla to get their act together?! On top of that, they have to give up with the quarterly rushes because the compromises in quality are glaring at these times.

Model X - I'd highly suggest a test drive. Am I happy with it? Yes, overall. Better quality, yes - overall, but still needs work (some fit and finish needs work). Niggling things like the turn signals, gear selector and horn are annoying as hell at times, especially during safety issues such as warning others. Finding that damned horn doesn't make sense - they need to put it back in the centre, period. Quick maneuvering (e.g. parallel parking on a busy street) is next to impossible with the swipe function on the screen to change gears - annoyingly hit or miss along with slow engagement. Otherwise, it's a good car - with compromises. The biggest issue was the ridiculous wait time of 18 months, although I think any new orders will take significantly less barring supply chain issues.

Musk has proven himself equally to have niggling issues that have come to the forefront over the last few years. From calling the diver a pedo, toking, personal, politics and other twitter crap, I question whether he's seriously leading Tesla in anything other than name. I think whoever is currently truly leading Tesla should be the spokesperson, perhaps backed by Musk initially, then fully leading Tesla within a couple of years as a transition period. He can still have input, but clearly his dividing his time between various companies is degrading the overall perspective of these companies.

So far as going with another manufacturer, that's a tougher question to answer. I'm reticent to go with almost any legacy manufacturer, especially because of the dealership model that I think has to go. I won't go with BMW or Ford because of issues I had with their cars. I'm on the fence over VW because I think that while they were making progress in the past few years, dismissing Diess I think shows something wrong going forward. I'm liking Rivian and Lucid, but they've both got to survive getting over the mass production hurdle along with reaching profitability. I have an order with Rivian - for me the R1T looks good minus the goofy front but shows more perceived durability and quality without compromises I see with Teslas. At least I've got about a year to make a decision on that.

Lastly, it also comes down to charging network. Tesla wins hands down. Nobody else has the breadth or depth of chargers, the consistency of them. IF (and that's a big "if") Tesla opens the network, I'm unsure whether I'd stick around. I think that although Tesla does have the most expansive network, the issue is whether they'll grow the network sufficiently compared to the growth of EV vehicle production. Recent trips to Muskoka where superchargers are full means that Tesla is falling behind on the network. They seriously need to add robust queuing to handle this. That is, sequentially control the chargers so that someone who tries to break the queue won't be able to start charging. It didn't happen to me, but it's going to happen - as I've heard/read of this happening out in California predominantly.

We're going to be in for some interesting years ahead of us. Let's see whether Tesla will handle the mass production as well as is needed.

Last edited:
Statistically speaking, your Lexus is more of an anomaly than the norm. I think Elon himself has even admitted that they have to do better with the quality of their cars. I also bought my car directly from Tesla and I had 4 years or 80k tacked on to the 20k I bought it with (although the service center did once try to say I was out of warranty once I passed 80k).

The Oakville and Lawrence locations for service aren’t very convenient for me so I don’t have much choice but to stick with the Missy location.

BTW… I think I have been in for repairs 4 or 5 times in 2022 and I never get a loaner anymore. Is this standard now? I’m really not a fan of the crappy Uber voucher.
I'm not disagreeing that Tesla has quality issues with fit and finish. You asked for opinions and I gave you mine. :) My car has several misaligned panels that annoy the heck out of me when I look at them. However, when I press the throttle, all of that goes out the window. That's the point I was trying to get across in my first post. The drivetrain, one pedal driving (even though mine does not have the full 1 pedal driving experience) just makes up for everything else IMO.

Regarding the loaner situation - yes I've got a Nissan CUV twice so far. I think they don't have enough loaners anymore. I have not been subjected to uber credits yet.

I've owned two model S and one Model X. Like TrevTremaine, had a big accident with my 2015 Model S (which was repaired). I bought another one! Had an X, didnt love the doors, and bought a 2018 Model S. Great car.

Last year, was thinking of buying a new car to replace the repaired 2015.... I test drove the Porsche Taycan 4S and was underwhelmed UNTIL i got back into my Model S. The handling, handling, handling & quality was so amazing. The prices are way different, but I'd suggest checking one out before you commit one way or another.

Don't get me wrong, love the model S, we still have the 2018 which is our "family" car and plan to keep it for a long time!

@Struja

Lastly, it also comes down to charging network. Tesla wins hands down. Nobody else has the breadth or depth of chargers, the consistency of them. IF (and that's a big "if") Tesla opens the network, I'm unsure whether I'd stick around. I think that although Tesla does have the most expansive network, the issue is whether they'll grow the network sufficiently compared to the growth of EV vehicle production. Recent trips to Muskoka where superchargers are full means that Tesla is falling behind on the network. They seriously need to add robust queuing to handle this. That is, sequentially control the chargers so that someone who tries to break the queue won't be able to start charging. It didn't happen to me, but it's going to happen - as I've heard/read of this happening out in California predominantly.

We're going to be in for some interesting years ahead of us. Let's see whether Tesla will handle the mass production as well as is needed.
TT,

Thanks for the great response. I'm glad the second incarnation was better than the first. I've highlighted this last point which is a huge point. Right now, Tesla is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition with the SC network, however, I was unaware of the issues (here in Ontario) with full stations (as an aside, I'm driving to Muskoka on Sunday, so thanks for the heads up).

I've owned two model S and one Model X. Like TrevTremaine, had a big accident with my 2015 Model S (which was repaired). I bought another one! Had an X, didnt love the doors, and bought a 2018 Model S. Great car.

Last year, was thinking of buying a new car to replace the repaired 2015.... I test drove the Porsche Taycan 4S and was underwhelmed UNTIL i got back into my Model S. The handling, handling, handling & quality was so amazing. The prices are way different, but I'd suggest checking one out before you commit one way or another.

Don't get me wrong, love the model S, we still have the 2018 which is our "family" car and plan to keep it for a long time!
This is funny because when I first test drove a Model S, I was instantly mesmerized. I had a bad interaction with Tesla for my trade in and I "vowed" to NEVER, EVER, EVER (under any circumstances) give Tesla a penny of my money. I continued to test drive EVERY sedan in the class of the Model S and every other car was a HUGE disappointment. So, I put my tail between my legs and went snivelling back to my computer and ordered my current car. If I didn't love the darned thing so damn much, I'd be fuming at how often I'm getting it fixed. There is nothing rational about my behaviour!!! LOL

Reactions: mrElbe and SilverGS
TT,

Thanks for the great response. I'm glad the second incarnation was better than the first. I've highlighted this last point which is a huge point. Right now, Tesla is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition with the SC network, however, I was unaware of the issues (here in Ontario) with full stations (as an aside, I'm driving to Muskoka on Sunday, so thanks for the heads up).
I'm heading up and back on Saturday (picking up my daughter from camp), so we won't need to come to blows. 😂 If you're planning for charging around Barrie, watch the display and see whether you get a clock/timer on the charger pin on the map. I used the southern one (8 stalls) on the way up rather than the northern one (20 stalls) which might have been the mistake. All of Vaughan Mills was packed (20 stalls). Probably best to avoid the main flow of traffic. It's really slow these days. We need to see Bracebridge added soon too. I'll let you know how it goes on Saturday and see if there's any difference.

Made the round trip in just under 5 hours of driving today. Overall, Saturdays are better than Sunday drives (especially the returns). Best to start out in the mornings both ways if possible. Afternoons get far heavier in both directions. Part of the slow go around Barrie is due to ongoing construction. Minor slowdowns northbound. Sundays southbound tend to get busy from around Gravenhurst. Lots of rubbernecking for no clear reasons.

Superchargers weren't full, but were still busy at Barrie North (probably 5 in use when I arrived, about 10 when I left). I think Barrie South was showing 3 unused. I'm seeing tons more Teslas on the road than in previous times. If you get as far as Huntsville, that location doesn't tend to get as busy as Deerhurst has destination chargers as well. I'll be curious to see how 2022.24 changes the rerouting for Superchargers (I think that's the release for this functionality).

Having said all that... It's coming time to get a new car and frankly (other than maybe a Lucid and their abysmal charging network), I have NO desire to buy anything other than another Model S. My wife will also be in the market for a new SUV and we test drove the Y, but it wasn't for us, so she's most likely to get an X. This time around, I'll probably buy an extended warranty (for both) but is it crazy that I still LOVE this car?
It’s not crazy. See my sig below for all the Teslas I’ve owned since 2013 and currently own. While it is great to see how many EV choices there are now, and how almost all major car manufacturers are now committed to electrification (and that would not have happened without Elon’s drive and relentless determination) I still think Tesla has the edge. Except for a few Hyundai models, Teslas are more energy efficient. They are aerodynamically superior (though the new Mercedes EQS at 0.20CD just barely beats the S). Tesla still leads in overall hardware/software integration and battery management. And the Supercharger network is a huge advantage over every other EV. Plus, I still love Tesla styling.

Yes, Elon is getting quirkier. I try to separate his strange personal life, political views that often don’t align with mine, and Twitter obsessions from how Tesla continues to innovate and dominate the EV market.

I would not consider a Lucid Air because I have no idea if the company will be around in five years. Lucid is basically copying what Tesla did 10 years ago by starting with an expensive large sedan, OTA updates, and selling direct. It is extremely difficult to go from a very low volume high cost vehicle to high volume less costly cars, but if the company can’t do that, and soon, it will fail. Tesla almost failed, more than once. Now it’s future looks secure, but it was touch and go there for several years.

Technologically the Air is superior to the S in a number of areas but I don’t think they make any difference when it comes to getting from A to B and charging on long distance trips is far from the seamless experience provided by Tesla Superchargers.

My next EV will almost certainly be a Tesla.

My first Tesla was 2015 MS, followed by one of the earliest M3's delivered in Canada that I gave to my daughter when a M3P became available in late 2018.

Last week I sold that one, and took delivery of a '22 MSLR. My feelings are very similar to those of the other posters, and I would like to share my experience with the 4 cars and Tesla.

I did not have any major issues requiring service in more than seven years of ownership. I've had a few service visits at home to for minor issues and to upgrade components related to FSD, and the experience was always satisfactory.

My new MS has a few post delivery issues, I have a service appointment booked for next week to have them resolved. The car is a huge improvement compared to the previous ones I owned. It is quieter, the suspension handles our disastrous Montreal roads beautifully, and the build feels way more solid. Although it is not a performance model, the acceleration is phenomenal, especially in the middle speeds (40-80 kph).

Dealing with Tesla during the period between placing the order and delivery of the new car was quite difficult and at times stressful. They kept changing the trade-in value of my car, and giving me contradictory delivery estimates, so I finally decided to sell the car myself.

I bought FSD on the M3P when it was offered for 2000$, so I cannot complain. For me it was worth it at that price level to get enhanced autopilot and stop sign and traffic light control. I also think that FSD allowed me to sell my car at a higher premium than the trade-in offer from Tesla. However I believe that FSD is one of Elon Musk's follies, as it will never reach full autonomy, at least in places that get snow, slush and heavy rain.

The other folly is the yoke. As a pilot since 1975, there are fundamental differences between flying a plane and driving a car. In a plane the yoke is turned over a very small range rarely exceeding 30 degrees from the horizontal, while in a car, maneuvering in close quarters at slow speeds requires more than a full turn of the steering wheel, a difficult maneuver with a rectangular yoke. The absence of a turn signal stalk and a horn pad in the center of the yoke add to the complexity of driving the car.

I was disappointed when Tesla did not seize the moment when its market value skyrocketed, to acquire one of the 5 or 6 major car manufacturers that were valued at about 5% of its evaluation. Instead, they went after Twitter. That moment is now gone, and in a few years Tesla will have to face real competition. For the past 7 years, I always said that I will never drive any car other than a Tesla. Now, I am not that sure about my next car in 3 or 4 years.

I was disappointed when Tesla did not seize the moment when its market value skyrocketed, to acquire one of the 5 or 6 major car manufacturers that were valued at about 5% of its evaluation. Instead, they went after Twitter.
At the risk of going off topic, that misstatement needs to be corrected. Elon decided to buy Twitter using his personal assets. Tesla is not trying to buy Twitter. Although Elon is obviously the public face of Tesla, he is not even a majority shareholder. The Tesla shares he owns are his personal property to do with as he sees fit. I think his desire to own Twitter is folly, but it’s his money. I remain long TSLA and have owned shares for many years now.

I would not want Tesla to buy any other car company. That would be pointless. All Tesla needs is capital to continue expanding, and Tesla can easily raise more capital if needed.

Apparently, it's already in place. I'm unsure whether it's in effect everywhere. I didn't get rerouted even though the south Barrie chargers were full. It's unclear what the circumstances are for this to work. I'm on 2022.20.7

Tesla navigation can reroute you to less busy Superchargers
I charged at the South Barrie charger on Sunday driving back from Muskoka and *may* have encountered yet another problem with my car (or maybe it was the chargers). There are 8 stalls and I plugged in to the first stall (sorry didn’t get the number). Plugged in, walked away but something told me to check the app. Realized I wasn’t charging. Went back to the car to find an error message. Something like “can’t DC fast charge”. Tried it a few times and same thing. Moved to the next charger immediately beside mine and I got the same message. Now, I start to panic a bit. I’ve got 80km in range and about 90km to home. I figure I will move the car one more time and hit the second last charger and it works. Whew!!! Felt like I dodged a real bullet but I sent in another service request to figure out if it was the car or charger because I will be driving to NYC in a month and if I can’t DC charge, I will have to take the wife’s car.