Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Model S delivered in NY missing summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a test drive car and summon was not working from the key fob. I called Tesla and apparently it's a Canadian car and does not have the feature.

Has anyone else gone through this? Can it be enabled remotely via software update?

Thanks

Btw I too have a candian car in the US (I got it in by using a letter from Tesla stating that it met all US standards).

Out of curiosity, the safety label on the driver door sill for your car... is it the Canadian one stating it meets the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety standards or was yours replaced with a US one?

I ask because I wanted to get an appriasal from CarMax and they wouldn't do it because I didn't have the US label (even though my car is now titled and tagged here in Florida)

Btw I too have a candian car in the US (I got it in by using a letter from Tesla stating that it met all US standards).

Out of curiosity, the safety label on the driver door sill for your car... is it the Canadian one stating it meets the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety standards or was yours replaced with a US one?

I ask because I wanted to get an appriasal from CarMax and they wouldn't do it because I didn't have the US label (even though my car is now titled and tagged here in Florida)

Just a quick update. Tesla did an OTA update and resolved all my issues.

I'll check on the door tag and report back.

Reactions: KLee
Hold on, this is very very important info you mentioned!. :) so you're saying you can now Summon via your key fob on your Canadian car in the US since Tesla did the OTA update for you??? Please respond.

The issue is Canadian regulations, not the vehicle itself. It is the similar to the fact that you need to be standing next to the vehicle to summon with the app in Canada, vs the US where you can be at the other end of the street.

I called Transport Canada and they said they are not aware of any restrictions put on the Summon feature by the government, and the limitations are most likely a decision of the manufacture (Tesla). In other words, summon is allowed in Canada, BMW and others have the feature to remotely park the car. Even if the summon has to work in the presence of the key fob, there is no reason why summon need to be done only via phone. Meaning, the Canadian gov is Not stopping Tesla form allowing us (Canadian customers) the option to Summon via Key Fob, they did not put the restriction on Tesla to allow summon via mobile phone only in Canada.

With that being said, you did not answer my question. Can you please confirm if you can now Summon via your key fob on the Canadian Tesla after Tesla did an OTA update for you? Additionally, what kind of OTA update was it? and How did you get Tesla to push that update? :):):)

Just a quick update. Tesla did an OTA update and resolved all my issues.

I'll check on the door tag and report back.

Hello mk9027866, are you going to share with us on if you can actually use summon via key fob on your Canadian purchased Tesla? And what type of OTA update did Tesla do and what did you have to do to get them to push it to your car. it would be most helpful a many on this forum. Thanks man.