Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Model S out-of-warranty costs, e.g. MCU replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My main screen seems ok, but for a couple months my binnacle screen is black sometimes when I get in the car. It works after a couple seconds, but I'm sure before it wasn't like that. Is this due to a firmware change? Or is this an mcu problem?

I have a super old school 2014 model s60, no tech pkg, no nav. Is there any path to get nav and/or trip planning software added? Even just trip planning software to make sure I'm gonna make it would help a lot on trips.

This could be MCU related for sure, but the S has always done this from time to time, esp If you haven’t driven it for a while.

I just had mine replaced and it was almost $4k....also was without a drivable car for almost four weeks. Love Tesla but the service has really gone down hill in my four years of ownership.

upload_2019-12-4_19-12-23.png

That was the non-remanufactured price I believe - Marko, was that in the summer? They only had new then at that price, and when I had mine done they had remanufactured ones.

I’ve been happy with Mississauga service - Mitch and Dempsey in particular. The car however has been like a box of pink popcorn - a surprise every time. :). Still love it though. Hopefully it’s stable for a couple of years to get to the CyberTruck.

Yeah, I agree with you, If. If one had the skillset and nerve to disassemble the center console, remove the daughter board or send the entire unit to someone that could do it. How long would this take? How long would the center console be down? How much would the charge be? Who do we send it to? Is he the best? Has he done many already? What happens if something goes wrong?

During watching one of the videos on repairing the Emmc, I heard that the existing Emmc has to be accessed and capture configuration, data and "some other stuff" because its MUST be written to the new Emmc chip else the car will not come back up. Don't make me produce that video, I can't. Saw too many to find "the one". That video also stated that a Emmc chip holder won't work so later an Emmc could be swapped easier. Whom ever that was knew his stuff. This is no simple process.

Maybe someone near me with either no common sense or too much time/money will want to do this and I can buy a ticket to watch. Wait, that does not make sense. I have not heard of anyone that owns a Tesla that has no common sense. Guess I will never see then.
Sounds like one of Rich Rebuilds videos. I do remember him talking about the read/write cycles eventually burning out.

Just had my battery fail on my 2013 Model S. The replacement price from Tesla is frankly shocking - over 30,000 CAD with taxes. Has anyone had any experience with this. I see shops that will repair them in the USA but haven’t found anyone in Canada. Not sure if I should repair or junk it - at 9 years with such a high cost. It is right around the resale value of the vehicle - or maybe even above what I could sell it for. Still waiting to hear what the warranty is on a battery replacement and if that warranty would be transferable if I sell it.