Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Model S out-of-warranty costs, e.g. MCU replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
curious if any Canadian Model S owners here have had any major out-of-pocket repairs after their original warranty expired - particularly the C$ cost of MCU and/or touchscreen replacement from Tesla, or any other expensive items

My 2015 Model S warranty expires soon and so I'm considering whether to buy the ESA (extended warranty) or not. I notice the cost of the ESA has gone up a lot since I orginally bought my car (back then it was offered at C$4100 for +4yrs, but I see if purchased now it would be $3500 for 2yrs or $6350 for 4yrs)

Lots of discussion elsewhere on TMC about MCU1 failures recently, so that's at least one worrying potential/expensive future problem. I've seen a couple other threads on the general topic but by US members and with U$ costs - so just wondering if there's any local Canadian MS owners who can share their out-of-warranty experiences.

f-stop, check and see what the deductible is for the ESA repairs too in Canada.
good point.
I don't see mention of the deductible amount on Tesla Canada's webpage describing the Extended Service Agreement
I believe in the US, the deductible is $200 per visit.

hopefully someone in Canada who has recently purchased the ESA can additionally confirm the C$ deductible amount, or perhaps post a copy of their actual agreement

Reactions: Akikiki
good point.
I don't see mention of the deductible amount on Tesla Canada's webpage describing the Extended Service Agreement
I believe in the US, the deductible is $200 per visit.

hopefully someone in Canada who has recently purchased the ESA can additionally confirm the C$ deductible amount, or perhaps post a copy of their actual agreement
$270 plus HST.

I've had a door handle replaced, and heat pump repaired. Both at that price. I too was concerned about MCU replacement. I've still got 3-ish years and 30000 KM of warranty

• Informative
Reactions: f-stop
I decided against getting the extended warranty after talking to my service centre; according to them the door handles are under $200 to replace now if needed, and a new MCU runs around $2k. I have not had any door handle problems yet, so assuming I need to replace all 4 plus the MCU at some point, it would cost me far less than the extended warranty. Battery and motors are still covered for another 4 years, so no worries there.

Really the biggest items that concern me are the potential suspension failures (control arms) and I've seen one or two people that had HVAC replacements that were pretty expensive, but they seem to be low-frequency occurrences. I feel okay not having the extended warranty, but I suppose time will tell.

• Informative
Reactions: f-stop
Many of us are on MCU1 and wish we could get MCU2. Getting MCU2 and HW3 literally breaths fresh life in to a S or X built before Summer '18. This is not to be confused with HW3, the updated APE. I think I heard that Elon is calling HW3 now AP3. Confused? I understand.

There's many folks including myself that are convinced that the black screen of death (of our center console) is because the Emmc on the motherboard failed due to too many logged actions. Aka Failed MCU1. There's some claims by owners that when they went in for the MCU1 replacement, MCU2 was installed as a replacement. (We hear this is not a simple plug n play, but requires a special Tesla harness to make MCU2 compatible with MCU1 cars.

Now, don't quote me. This is part speculation and unproven comments from folks on TMC and TM's forum. There appears to have been sufficient whining at Elon on Twitter to get his attention. The rumor is that Elon has said that Tesla is working on a process and hardware that will upgrade a MCU1 car to MCU2. And maybe this would be performed at the same time they are going to perform the APE swap to HW3. We've heard that a few owner's cars have been upgraded to HW3. It was not clear if these cars were already MCU2 because there was no claim or mention if the MCU was replaced. The Elon's Twitter reply (as I understand it) also said, be patient they are working on this solution and after its perfected they still have to gather sufficient quantities to do all cars that want it.

I've watched a Youtube video about replacing the Emmc on a MCU1 board. And he showed a MCU2 board. They are not the same board. So, its not a simple chip swap from MCU1 to MCU2. It's a modular system/motherboard and probably includes other stuff. My point being its going to be hard if not impractical for Tesla to take in a MCU1 system board and install a MCU2 system board in its place and then reuse the MCU1 parts for the next upgrade. By my quick look at the two side by side, Tesla won't be able to use much if any of MCU1 elsewhere. (Maybe they would be useful for those owners requiring a MCU1 repair and not willing to pay for a MCU2 upgrade at the same time. )

Here's another part to add before you raise these questions.
Would this be voluntary - meaning we would be required to pay for it,? Would we have to pay for the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade and how much. No answer.
Would those cars that have a failed MCU1 that required replacing anyway (out of warranty) have to pay for the repair and upgrade to MCU2? No answer.
Who comes first? How do we get in line to request this? What's it called? When will SC's have it. When will SC's know about it so we can submit for it.
No answer. (Sounds like too early to worry or work on these parts).

My two cents. Considering the cost of a MCU1 repair/swap is $2,000+ (we've heard $2200, $2400 and someone said $3,000), I would still opt to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 and HW3.

Okay that's all I have. So beat me up or add some comments that corrects me (not offended) or helps explain what I missed.

Just - don't quote me. This is simply my understanding of what's going on and what might happen.
:)

• Informative
Reactions: Vawlkus and mrElbe
@Akikiki having looked at similar videos & pictures, I tend to agree with your assessment.

Only nitpick are that HW3 is just being called FSD hardware rather than APE3.

I get the feeling that it’s only partly the wiring harness changes between MCU 1 and 2. I think there’s a few separate modules that are external to the MCU that are the real PITA.

HW3 hardware includes "the latest cameras too". I've seen no article or someone report that "the latest cameras (and stuff)" are better or if they are the same as AP 2.5/HW2.5 equipment. But for a long time we've all referred to HW3 as the autopilot engine driving AP3. Elon ( a couple of months ago) said, that HW3 should simply be referred to as AP3 and its all inclusive.

My main screen seems ok, but for a couple months my binnacle screen is black sometimes when I get in the car. It works after a couple seconds, but I'm sure before it wasn't like that. Is this due to a firmware change? Or is this an mcu problem?

I have a super old school 2014 model s60, no tech pkg, no nav. Is there any path to get nav and/or trip planning software added? Even just trip planning software to make sure I'm gonna make it would help a lot on trips.

Nav on a non-tech package S? Short answer, No. That was the intent with warning back in 2013/4. No tech, no nav. No upgrade path.

binnacle? I had to google that, - could not even guess what you meant.

LOL.... I learned the word when the model 3 was debuted, with no binnacle.
I figured as much.... I don't even care about no turn by turn, would just love that estimated battery %.

binnacle in this context = instrument panel.

Back on topic. Out of Warranty - I had AP1 problems and had to pay for new camera. With labour, alignment, and tax was over CAD$ 900.-
Also earlier this year had to get the charge port replaced to the tune of CAD$ 1058.-
thanks for those examples, and for steerring the discussion back on topic :)

How much are ppl paying for mcu1 replacements?

My 2014 S with 180k is running great, but I've been without warranty for a while now and it's a concern...

yes this is also what I'd like to know - what has anyone had to pay Tesla Canada to replace a dead MCU?

(hypothetical discussions of possible hardware 1 -> 2 or 3 upgrades aside)

Yeah, I agree with you, If. If one had the skillset and nerve to disassemble the center console, remove the daughter board or send the entire unit to someone that could do it. How long would this take? How long would the center console be down? How much would the charge be? Who do we send it to? Is he the best? Has he done many already? What happens if something goes wrong?

During watching one of the videos on repairing the Emmc, I heard that the existing Emmc has to be accessed and capture configuration, data and "some other stuff" because its MUST be written to the new Emmc chip else the car will not come back up. Don't make me produce that video, I can't. Saw too many to find "the one". That video also stated that a Emmc chip holder won't work so later an Emmc could be swapped easier. Whom ever that was knew his stuff. This is no simple process.

Maybe someone near me with either no common sense or too much time/money will want to do this and I can buy a ticket to watch. Wait, that does not make sense. I have not heard of anyone that owns a Tesla that has no common sense. Guess I will never see then.

Yeah, I agree with you, If. If one had the skillset and nerve to disassemble the center console, remove the daughter board or send the entire unit to someone that could do it. How long would this take? How long would the center console be down? How much would the charge be? Who do we send it to? Is he the best? Has he done many already? What happens if something goes wrong?

During watching one of the videos on repairing the Emmc, I heard that the existing Emmc has to be accessed and capture configuration, data and "some other stuff" because its MUST be written to the new Emmc chip else the car will not come back up. Don't make me produce that video, I can't. Saw too many to find "the one". That video also stated that a Emmc chip holder won't work so later an Emmc could be swapped easier. Whom ever that was knew his stuff. This is no simple process.

Maybe someone near me with either no common sense or too much time/money will want to do this and I can buy a ticket to watch. Wait, that does not make sense. I have not heard of anyone that owns a Tesla that has no common sense. Guess I will never see then.

I suppose the worst that could happen is you have to pay Tesla for the replacement...

I had my MCU replaced late Oct on my Sig S. It’s cheaper now that they are using remanufactured product, but it was still around $2600 and tax I think. Can’t find my receipt; Tesla may have forgot to send it to me - I’ll keep looking.

Two kickers - I had to pay for the LTE upgrade on top of that for another $400ish, and I couldn’t keep the old MCU which had a new screen replaced under warranty a year ago unless I paid a $500 core charge. No thanks.

As I keep saying - nothing else can go wrong on the car now - let’s see how that plays out. At least the battery and DU are covered until Dec 2020....