Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Model Y Reveal Discussion

Will you be placing a reservation for the Model Y if applicable?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Just wanted to create a poll and start a thread to discuss thoughts, feelings, feedback, etc on the Model Y reveal later tonight. Specific to the Canadian users (before people get their knickers in a knot)

Personally I think I'm going to place a deposit as soon as the system opens, if they are indeed going ahead with a reservation system this time around.

What about all of you? Curious to hear your thoughts on the Model Y!

Tesla on Twitter

0qcbntwwm4m21.jpg

Although I personally won't be buying one (Not that into SUVs) however I think this is great for Tesla. Most of the market is converting to SUVs and pickup trucks which would be the next 2 releases for them. They're going to rake *sugar* ton of money in. I'm excited to see what new (if any) features they will announce for the Y compared to the 3. Perhaps they will come with Hardware 3 included? Who knows, see you guys at 11PM EST

Given we've experienced with the Model 3 roll out, I'm not too sure having a reservation would give you any kind of significant benefit. Unless there's something really cool like HUD, soft close doors, or auto tinting windows, I'll be sitting on the sidelines for now.

Hopefully the Y, unlike the 3, will be Chademo or CCS compatible. Without it, in this province it’s still just another commuter vehicle. We REALLY wanted a model 3 but being limited to a proprietary charging network with only 14 locations in our province won’t cut it for us. Chademo/CCS will have over 200 locations either completed or in progress by the end of 2019. Without access to these a Tesla is limited to a very narrow corridor thru the province. An S or X can but they are out of our budget. Sigh.

I don't think there will be a mad rush to put a deposit down on the Y.
The only reason I, and I assume many others, lined up was to make sure we received the rebate. For the most part, that's no longer the case.
In theory the Y should have way more demand than the 3. Time will tell. It's odd they haven't opened deposits yet like they did with the 3. Maybe they are confident in their ability to produce and won't even bother with reservations. Just one guess.

Not a vehicle I would personally be interested in purchasing but I am curious to see how they have done this. It's a hot vehicle class in the marketplace for sure and if Tesla solved enough of the pain points for this class then there is great potential. Tesla really needs to get with a JIT model if they really want to kill it in the less expensive vehicle market, and for EVs the timing has never been better in the marketplace. Have some stock and popular model configs pumping off the lines and keep a week or two ahead of the curve and offer a quick and smooth delivery process. Apple is the king of this model. The "every car is custom" model is a tough track to run.

Of course it's easier said than done, but if there's any hope to beat the car lot model for the masses then that's the way it will have to happen.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
In theory the Y should have way more demand than the 3. Time will tell. It's odd they haven't opened deposits yet like they did with the 3. Maybe they are confident in their ability to produce and won't even bother with reservations. Just one guess.

I hope they do exactly that. If they learned anything from the model 3 reservation system it's that it's a bad idea. If you're going to keep people waiting don't make them pay up front, you just have to make sure to keep their interest when the rubber does hit the pavement so to speak.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ