Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian parts prices.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So while tesla is giving Canadians a reasonable price on the car (considering the exchange rate, and in relation to the American pricing) I just discovered the same is not true for accessories.
TPMS sensors, $75 in Canada, $50 in the US
Touch up paint, $30 in Canada, $20 in the US
In both cases the price is 50% higher in Canada than in the US. They're effectively giving us an exchange rate of 0.66, I haven't seen an exchange rate like that since the early 90s!
Unfortunately, despite their talk of price transparency in relation to the cars, I don't think there's any recourse on this one.

So while tesla is giving Canadians a reasonable price on the car (considering the exchange rate, and in relation to the American pricing) I just discovered the same is not true for accessories.
TPMS sensors, $75 in Canada, $50 in the US
Touch up paint, $30 in Canada, $20 in the US
In both cases the price is 50% higher in Canada than in the US. They're effectively giving us an exchange rate of 0.66, I haven't seen an exchange rate like that since the early 90s!
Unfortunately, despite their talk of price transparency in relation to the cars, I don't think there's any recourse on this one.
Not a good exchange rate!
However, you don't have to go very far back in time to find the same thing at a bank. I left for Florida in mid January, and before I left I "bought" $1000 US$ at the bank (I shopped around to 3 banks). Cost me $1500. That's the same as you are paying for parts. Maybe they will re-price the parts as our dollar continues to improve.

In mid-January our dollar went below 70 cents and was looking to head down even further given the lifting of the oil sanctions on Iran and the glut of oil on the markets that was expected to follow. A 65 cent, and even lower, dollar was predicted by many but instead, and surprising, both oil and our dollar went up. I think Tesla set prices based on market indicators. Hopefully, they will adjust them again, especially if our dollar stays stable or keeps going up.

Funny, sensors and touch up paint were the most recent accessory purchases I made from Tesla. Fortunately I got my sensors last summer when they were $50. But I paid $30 plus tax for paint that's the same volume as a small bingo dabber.

Buying parts at the online Tesla store is much cheaper than going to the Canadian service centers to purchase with the current exchange being $0.79US per $1CDN. The Vancouver SC wanted $1050 plus taxes on a 32A UMC and I ordered a 40A US UMC being shipped to Sumas for $780CDN with taxes and shipping included. It helps that the UMC price just dropped from $650US to $550. We are definitely getting gouged with prices at Canadian SC right now.

One thing to note though, I ordered TPMS sensors and touch up paint, Vancouver charged me $20 CAD shipping for the 4 sensors, and the paint, Online the sensors aren't even available, and the shipping on just the paint was $45 USD! talk about outrageous!
So it was cheaper to buy in CAD, despite the exchange, just due to the shipping difference.

That said, I noticed after I ordered through Tesla that Tire Rack has lowered their TPMS sensor price to $50USD each (from $75) at the same time that Tesla raised their prices from $50CAD to $75CAD, and as I was ordering rims anyway the shipping would have been free. If only I'd known before I ordered the rims that Tesla had done that!

Is there a market for 32A or 40A UMC? I ended up with 3 cables, one still unused in box. Not sure how much to sell them for.

As for sensors, I ordered from Tire Rack at their high price 3yrs ago ( I think it was $100US each), then Tesla at their low price ($50CAD) last year, and just recently from Tire Rack again at their new low price (50US). They have been fluctuating against each other over the past couple years.

I'm lucky I'm able to just pick up the paint at the service centre near me. I thought $30 was expensive, let alone a shipping price for more than it's worth.

Is there a market for 32A or 40A UMC? I ended up with 3 cables, one still unused in box. Not sure how much to sell them for.

As for sensors, I ordered from Tire Rack at their high price 3yrs ago ( I think it was $100US each), then Tesla at their low price ($50CAD) last year, and just recently from Tire Rack again at their new low price (50US). They have been fluctuating against each other over the past couple years.

I'm lucky I'm able to just pick up the paint at the service centre near me. I thought $30 was expensive, let alone a shipping price for more than it's worth.

Hi,
Have you decided on a price for your UMC cables? I returned mine, as Tesla requested, and then realized they had exchanged the lower (32A) for the 40A. I'd like a UMC cable for the cottage.

I have an extra rarely used 40A (almost new) and a brand new in box 32A. I'm willing to sell one of them and keep the other as a spare. Since I have my original 40A one already, I can live with the 32A one as my spare but I guess it depends on which one I can sell for a higher price. Right now I'll take offers for either since I really don't know what the market is for these. I prefer local pick up. Will also post this on Kijiji. I had a lot of luck selling my rims and tires on there locally.