Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian premium connectivity coming to an end.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the email also (SR+). I really like the traffic and map view and made great use of Spotify when we took the car to Florida in March 3 days each way. Will likely pay for the service although I wish they would cut us a break and charge us in Cdn dollars versus US plus exchange rate :)

Knowing the telcos in Canada, Tesla is probably getting gouged for the LTE connectivity, even if it's just for allowing US SIMs in the cars to roam here. It and Spotify are ongoing per-user per-month costs they need to do some recovery on.

Agree. Telecommunication companies in Canada are getting away with providing the worst service and speed, while charging the most money. Our government is letting them get away with it, so they’ll laughing at it all.

True, it may not be Tesla’s fault for this price.
Knowing what we pay here for data, that’s actually pretty good.

I also received this e-mail ... I considering it... Even if we can still stream music via Bluetooth to the car, I think there is definitely a convenience factor to having in-car streaming access and not having to fiddle with connections to get the music playing.

Agree. Telecommunication companies in Canada are getting away with providing the worst service and speed, while charging the most money. Our government is letting them get away with it, so they’ll laughing at it all.

True, it may not be Tesla’s fault for this price.
Knowing what we pay here for data, that’s actually pretty good.

Value for service is different than price alone. I am biased, but you do get what you pay for Canada has highest wireless value among G7 nations: U.S. study | IT World Canada News If you want to pay less you can (there are options in Canada to pay less, but you do, you know, get less service area and overall performance). So in all reality YMMV truly applies in this situation as Tesla needed more coverage then lower tier providers could afford them

Value for service is different than price alone. I am biased, but you do get what you pay for Canada has highest wireless value among G7 nations: U.S. study | IT World Canada News If you want to pay less you can (there are options in Canada to pay less, but you do, you know, get less service area and overall performance). So in all reality YMMV truly applies in this situation as Tesla needed more coverage then lower tier providers could afford them

LOL.
This study was conducted by the cellular association. Not the people they are giving poor service to. And not the people paying more per month than anyone in the US.
Ridiculous study. Not true.
When the industry supporting and representing the telecommunications companies does their own study, well....

I can tell you I’ve been with Bell, Rogers, and Telus, my whole life, (The big three in Ontario.)

All are way more for less than the US.
Our government tried to fix it (too late), but failed. So they continue to rip us all off. :)

Im sure Tesla is charging us a fair price given the rates we pay here in Ontario.

Reactions: richyrich
Im sure Tesla is charging us a fair price given the rates we pay here in Ontario.

The price Tesla is offering is, in all regards, a fair price relative to the service being offered. As to the merits of the study, I would suggest you read it through; it uses pretty sound reasoning to come to its conclusions. For me, in Canada just yesterday, I subscribed to a plan with 20GB w/o any overages for the equivalent of $50 USD/month. That's not far off from what Verizon or other similar carriers charge in the USA. Plus, have you actually used the coverage in the USA? Coverage in the USA is not quite up to that of the equivalent carriers in Canada. But, since you seem to know better, I will leave it in your capable hands to surmise what works best for you.

The price Tesla is offering is, in all regards, a fair price relative to the service being offered. As to the merits of the study, I would suggest you read it through; it uses pretty sound reasoning to come to its conclusions. For me, in Canada just yesterday, I subscribed to a plan with 20GB w/o any overages for the equivalent of $50 USD/month. That's not far off from what Verizon or other similar carriers charge in the USA. Plus, have you actually used the coverage in the USA? Coverage in the USA is not quite up to that of the equivalent carriers in Canada. But, since you seem to know better, I will leave it in your capable hands to surmise what works best for you.

You’re defending an industry with essentially 3 major players taking advantage of the customers. Not sure what industry you work in, but there’s a reason the government has recently pushed more regulations on these guys. :)
You’re defending them based on coverage, and a $70 plan you found for 20gb.
The study was done by supporters of these guys. :)
Do you have some vested interest in this industry also ? :)

You’re defending an industry with essentially 3 major players taking advantage of the customers. Not sure what industry you work in, but there’s a reason the government has recently pushed more regulations on these guys. :)
You’re defending them based on coverage, and a $70 plan you found for 20gb.
The study was done by supporters of these guys. :)
Do you have some vested interest in this industry also ? :)

Yeah prices are high but so many people defend them. I was in Europe last summer and picked up a 20GB Europe-wide data SIM valid for 30 days for 20 GBP - $35 CAD. I went to the US in March and paid Bell $8 PER DAY on top of my plan to roam there.

Interesting to look at other UK cell prices as an example (and this is just looking at the provider I used). A plan with 20GB data and unlimited text and calls on a 12-month contract costs 15 GBP - $26 CAD per month, taxes in. Our best sim only deals - Compare sim only deals & contracts | O2

It's no different in the U.S.! Telcos and ISPs here are terrible! And only getting worse under the current FCC administrator!