Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Price Increase Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 new owner in Ottawa, glad I locked down the price last Friday, looking forward to my new 90D!
Contrats mikec8! My story is pretty much the same, but back in August (and a 85D instead of a 90D). I was originally going for a X (almost 1.5 year holding a reservation), but I had enough of swallowing multiple price increase. I am very happy with my S, hopefully you'll be too. Now we just want a SC in Ottawa...! ;-)

Contrats mikec8! My story is pretty much the same, but back in August (and a 85D instead of a 90D). I was originally going for a X (almost 1.5 year holding a reservation), but I had enough of swallowing multiple price increase. I am very happy with my S, hopefully you'll be too. Now we just want a SC in Ottawa...! ;-)

Thanks! I was thinking the X as well, but I think it's too new and the Model S does everything my current CUV does. Also for me range is important for northern travels. I've seen so many price increases in the past 12 months its probably better to lock now, even if that wasn't the only thing pushing a sale. I heard there's 150 owners in the Ottawa area, here's hoping for a SC!

Last edited:
I'm not sure that's true on every issue since this forum has lots of posts about incorrect information coming from Tesla sale's associates. I'm not disputing this information is true. It probably is. I just don't think people should take as a given everything said by the Tesla sales associates.

Tesla keeps pretty tight reins on a lot of information; people can't give out information they don't have. So I suspect there tends to be a lot of stuff passed around within the company by rumour and word of mouth. Not all of it is accurate.

But if they're willing to say something negative, e.g. price increase, then you can be pretty certain they've heard it from head office. They wouldn't say it otherwise.

I heard there's 150 owners in the Ottawa area, here's hoping for a SC!
I had an appointment at Montreal SC last Friday and I was told that it would become a reality in April 2016... I don't know why he would be lying to me, so with Tesla's record of being on time, I think we should get a SC in Ottawa somewhere in the fall of 2016.

And I must not be driving on the same roads than the other 149 owners since I have seen only a handful of Tesla in Ottawa...! ;-p

Looking at those rumours (yes, that is how it's spelled up north, suck it autocorrect) of a price increase, I highly recommend you lock in your price now. It has probably been said before, but you can put your deposit down now, and only take delivery months from now, when it is convenient for you. So no need to scramble for that delivery payment just now, or break your current lease. Lock in, and get it when it works for you.
But then again, the wait is terrible...

Go for it, I want you to be there when I come back to Canada in a few years (am from Montreal, left in January)!

I had an appointment at Montreal SC last Friday and I was told that it would become a reality in April 2016... I don't know why he would be lying to me, so with Tesla's record of being on time, I think we should get a SC in Ottawa somewhere in the fall of 2016.

And I must not be driving on the same roads than the other 149 owners since I have seen only a handful of Tesla in Ottawa...! ;-p

Wait... what??? If they were going to open in April, it would mean they're already in the middle of doing it.

Yeah we put a deposit down last week too. Not dissiapointed not seeing the increase yet I am confident its coming just based on USD pricing. At this point I am locked in and we all know they are not going down. I feel the base price of each model will go up significantly but the options will probably stay the same price. Just my opinion

[...] I feel the base price of each model will go up significantly but the options will probably stay the same price. Just my opinion
That's not the case, based on the actual prices I saw prior to the last Cdn price increase in late Aug - not only did the base price of each car go up but also the options did too. The overall prices went up about 7% but option prices went up some nominal amounts, it looks like they just chose some nice round numbers for those (e.g. increasing the pano from 1700 to 1800)

for example, in early Aug 2015 here was the pricing of a 70D and options I was considering (left #) / compared to the corresponding price in Oct

70D base C$87,200 / 93,300 (+7%)
deep blue metallic paint 1,150 / 1,200 (+4.3%)
pano roof 1,700 / 1,800 (+5.9%)
grey next gen seats 2,800 / 3,000 (+7.1%)
carbon fiber 1,150 / 1,200 (+4.3%)
prem interior & lighting 3,400 / 3,600 (+5.9%)

total 97,400 / 104,100 (= $6,700 increase or 6.9%)

anyhow if the rumour is true for another increase, it's good that you locked the price down with a deposit!

As of today Cdn prices have gone up by:

-70 and 85 $2000
-P85D $3000
-all wheel drive $200
-premium int and lighting, SAS, jumpseats, or UHFS $100 each
-Cyclones $100
-Turbines $200
-pano $100
-90kWh battery $100
-AP $100
-wood trim $50, CF trim $100
-metallic paint $50, MC red or Pearl white $100
-leather or Next Gen seats $100
-CF spoiler or subzero package $50
-ludicrous mode $200

Happy for those who locked in before the increase and also for taking advantage of the referral rebates and what's left of the BC CEV rebate. About $1.8M left in the CEV that I assume will be long gone by spring with roughly 360 clean energy vehicles remaining eligle to get up to $5000 rebate. With the new 30kWh Leaf out, the well is going to dry up fast...hoping some form of incentive comes back after it's depleted.

Yup. Base 70D was $93,300, now it's $95,300. I'm sure somebody had recorded all the other prices and can do the comparison, but it does look like it went up.

If this keeps up then the two year depreciation hit on the 85 I own won't seem quite so bad.

I was hoping that once the "Gigafactory" was operational and the 6.1% duty was gone, that the price of a new Model S would be lower than when I bought. It seems quaint now to worry about that 6.1%. Unless the price of fuel goes back up (and thus the value of the Canadian dollar increases), the cost of a Tesla in Canada is going to continue to be almost prohibitive. A similarly-equipped 85 nowadays (granted, with the new sensors) is about 20% more than it was in 2013. That's brutal.

If this keeps up then the two year depreciation hit on the 85 I own won't seem quite so bad.

I was hoping that once the "Gigafactory" was operational and the 6.1% duty was gone, that the price of a new Model S would be lower than when I bought. It seems quaint now to worry about that 6.1%. Unless the price of fuel goes back up (and thus the value of the Canadian dollar increases), the cost of a Tesla in Canada is going to continue to be almost prohibitive. A similarly-equipped 85 nowadays (granted, with the new sensors) is about 20% more than it was in 2013. That's brutal.
Brutal indeed, hopefully we can see a stronger dollar in the next 5 years.

The price of the Model S will only trend deeper for future pricing and out of reach for more people as the Model 3 rolls out in a few years. I remember when the 1991 Acura NSX first came to market in the $75k price point and when it exited production in 2004 the price was over $150k...same goes for the Nissan GTR in 2008 with an MSRP of $84k (with dealer markups to $100k). The lower price point for a 2016 Premium model GTR is $111K and a Black Edition is $121k. I think Tesla will probably keep the pricing the same even when the Gigafactory starts producing the batteries and dropping the 6.1% import duty fee. Look at the vehicle pricing in the last decade when the USD and CDN $ were on par and there was still a big discrepancy on pricing with cheaper cars down south.

Tesla has had several prices increases in the last year due to the ever dropping CAD $. Strange however that the price of the new Lincoln MKC I bought in April of this year hasn't changed at since then and it's made in Tennessee...

The exchange rate doesn't bode well for Model 3 when it arrives, I've had to increase my budget from a planned $50K to $60K now.

For those looking at latest Model-X price estimate (with the before and after 1-dec price increase):

Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 3.00.48 PM.png

PS: Keep in mind that:
- Air Suspension is mandatory on 90D and P90D
- Leather seats are included in P90D
- Leather seats are mandatory if the "Premium Package" is selected