Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Price Increase Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made the jump after I saw the price adjustment in May! It still hurt since I bought my original S85 back when the dollar was par (oh, how I miss those days as a consumer....)! Regardless, the new car adds a number of features I didn't have, so I'm happily broke.

Based on recent dollar movements, I'd be surprised if there are further drops for a while. With this in mind, along with the new facelift and the referral credit, I made the jump and got my car a couple weeks ago.

I've also read on other parts of this forum that the Resale Value Guarantee was gone as of July 1st (or similar). On the Canadian site, at least (snapshot taken July 6, 2016, 9:44 pm PST) under the financing option, I still see the RVG. It might still be available for Canadians, but if it's being cancelled in the US site, we might lose it too. I financed through Scotiabank via Tesla and got my RVG confirmed.

View attachment 184284

In celebration of Canada Day, we took a pic with my new red 90D!

View attachment 184282

If another percentage point off helps, there's just over a week to use referral codes.
Here's mine: Referral | Tesla Motors
Great looking family

Reactions: SteveW25561
FYI, Tesla sales are telling me that on Monday (November 28th, 2016), there will be another across the board currency adjustment that will increase prices by roughly 3%. If you're interested you might want to submit your order today.

This is incredible.. since Feb when they cut the rebate and adjust for currency.. I think the same car is now trending 15k to 20k difference in price.

Provided the old one don't have the new hardware.. but base for base is an appreciating asset; almost

3 things have happened here:
1) prices have been increased worldwide for identical vehicles/options
2) our exchange rate has sunk recently
3) higher end vehicles have been added above the old "top of the line" without lowering the costs of the lower vehicles.

End result is that the most expensive Tesla you could buy 2 years ago was about $140,000, now it's about $220,000
Even if you tried to match that 2 year old car as close as possible (debatable how close you can get), it's now in the $160,000 range.

Tesla should find a way to hedge exchange rates like the other car makers do instead of a straight USD to whatever exchange rate. It's not good for business no matter how good the car is.
Considering the large premium many manufacturers charge Canadians over the US price (even counting exchange rates) I don't think Tesla really has much of an issue in that department.
Tesla's bigger issue is that everything they do adds dollars to the price tag worldwide. I'm ok paying the same price (after exchange) for the car, that's much better than most other manufacturers, but the constant price increases are a problem.

Though when you have zero competition....

I'd estimate that with the current CAD vs USD exchange, Tesla's Canadian prices are only about 7% off where they should be, or right on par if you don't count the import tariff or additional profit margin they originally factored in. This is the lowest spread I can remember there being in recent years.

Looks like hikes across the board for Canada.....Base 60 is now $90,400 plus freight....maxed out P100D is $224,650....Yikes!

i think it's an error...but on the 90D and above you can't pick seats other than the new premium seats, no textile option.

AP up to $6800. FSD up to $4100. Pano roof $2700.

Price increase no longer imminent. The good news is import duties should go down 6% when Gigafactory starts producing batteries for the Model S.

I asked a Tesla employee point blank that exact question after a presentation on how the Gigafactory was going to help reduce costs for the Model 3. After a lot of squirming, the answer I got was that it was not likely going to be passed along in Model S/X savings.

3 things have happened here:
1) prices have been increased worldwide for identical vehicles/options
2) our exchange rate has sunk recently
3) higher end vehicles have been added above the old "top of the line" without lowering the costs of the lower vehicles.

End result is that the most expensive Tesla you could buy 2 years ago was about $140,000, now it's about $220,000
Even if you tried to match that 2 year old car as close as possible (debatable how close you can get), it's now in the $160,000 range.
I got pretty close to matching my 85D from March 2015 (ordered December 2014) - Paid $118,500 - fairly loaded. 90D is now $153,350. The positive to this story, is for those who did buy at the lower level, - that the resale value keeps getting higher.

I got pretty close to matching my 85D from March 2015 (ordered December 2014) - Paid $118,500 - fairly loaded. 90D is now $153,350. The positive to this story, is for those who did buy at the lower level, - that the resale value keeps getting higher.
Tried to resale my 85D at higher than 100k. Got hit by a brick wall. Decided to keep it instead of trading for a Model X.