Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian range thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a range discussion on the general Model X and where people post their range. Haven't found a chart yet, but I think someone with good charting abilities can create a chart that shows average temp (of the day like -1), type of driving (highway/city), average speed, tesla model, wheels size, average range,

For myself I can say,
Model X
- temp: -1 / -3
- Highway
- speed: 110 ~ 80
- Model X 90D
- 20'
- 230 Km

Reactions: MarcoRP
My model X is a bit awful in the winter. For short trips, I'm getting like 350 wh/km. Once the batteries and cabin warm up it drops to ~ 230-250 - higher than the rated 200. I haven't done any longer trips since it has gotten cold yet.

I have a X 75D with 20" wheels.

Got about 147km on a 255km charge yesterday. Arrived at the Supercharger with 2km left (ended up having to drive 80 on the QEW just to make it lol.)

Outside of the last 10km that I drove at 80km/hr....a lot of the driving was between 130-140km/hr.

Charged up to 244km, and arrived home (94km later) with 67km left....so used up 177km for 94km of driving.

Averaged at around 350kw/km

I believe it was -1 or -2 yesterday

Range mode on....75D 20" regular tires, switching over to winters this Friday

I don't bother setting my battery meter in distance units. I realized every other car I've owned didn't have the gas gauge calibrated in miles or km, so why should an EV? I set it to percentage. When you set it to miles or km, it is just a static representation based on the car's efficiency rating.

Instead, I use the energy display to predict remaining distance and simply compare that with how far I have to go (i.e. from the Nav system if I'm not sure). The energy display predicts your range based on your actual driving pattern and conditions.

I don't bother setting my battery meter in distance units. I realized every other car I've owned didn't have the gas gauge calibrated in miles or km, so why should an EV? I set it to percentage. When you set it to miles or km, it is just a static representation based on the car's efficiency rating.

Instead, I use the energy display to predict remaining distance and simply compare that with how far I have to go (i.e. from the Nav system if I'm not sure). The energy display predicts your range based on your actual driving pattern and conditions.

Good points for sure, I’ve tried this a few times but for some reason still can’t wrap my head around what 10% left actually means distance wise. Knowing roughly how many km left is so much simpler, any other tricks you’ve picked up? I want to try using % again

Good points for sure, I’ve tried this a few times but for some reason still can’t wrap my head around what 10% left actually means distance wise. Knowing roughly how many km left is so much simpler, any other tricks you’ve picked up? I want to try using % again

I hear you, but did you ever worry about how far 1/4 or 1/8 of a tank of gas was going to get you? I just found myself fretting too much about how many miles I was getting at 90% or 100%. I am a lot calmer with the display in %. Also, as I've said, the number of miles/km just declines in a linear fashion as you drive with no concern for actual conditions. The car's energy display does a much better job of predicting how far you can really go.

I have driven the car mostly around highways and I have seen the range estimate around 230Wh/km ~ 270Wh/Km (when I am lucky and watching the speed).. yesterday I drove it around town.. and WOO what a difference I am seeing now 320 numbers... more rengen i guess.

Most trip planners either abetterrouteplaner, or the tesla on-board seem to calculate the trip arriving with a 10% left.. I somewhat feel uncomfortable with that number knowing that if I get there I would have to wait fora long time to charge at a L2 public charger...

I have certainly driven the car until I get some low numbers given that I am still trying to get used to it.. I think 17KM left on the car at times. and that to me is driving my anxiety for sure.

I would be interested to know how others use it.. It sounds like percentage and a guesstimate of km might be a good one to check out.

I would be interested to know how others use it.. It sounds like percentage and a guesstimate of km might be a good one to check out.

Going in to my 5th winter, I'm used to it now, but here's what I do if uncertain or on a long winter road trip (we often go from Toronto to Chicago at Christmas).

1. Use the Navigation System to track how many miles/km you have to go to your destination. It will count down as you get closer.

2. Pop open the Energy app and leave it at "Last 30 Miles / Last 50 km" and watch the Projected Range number. It will also count down as you use up the battery. (Side note: I wish the mini view of Energy on the center dash would show projected range, but it only shows the graph and average consumption number, so you have to use the app on the 17" screen).

3. Compare how many road miles/km to go (Nav) against how many Projected miles/km to go (Energy App) and ensure Projected > Actual.

I like there to be a 25% minimum buffer between Actual and Projected when I set out.

• Informative
Reactions: Eco Capitalist
I hear you, but did you ever worry about how far 1/4 or 1/8 of a tank of gas was going to get you? I just found myself fretting too much about how many miles I was getting at 90% or 100%. ...

Well the sad fact is that on 1/4 tank of gas my car can go as far as my model X can go on a full charge in the winter. The gas gauge isn't really linear, so when it reads 1/4 you often have way more than 1/4 left -- surely you've noticed that on your gas vehicles the tank stays close to "full" for quite a while, drops through the middle range almost instantly, and then seems to stick around 1/4 - 1/8th full forever? In any event my Accord can go 250+kms easily on 1/4 full. Heck it goes 75kms when the gas warning light is on! I've never had the nerve to drive our Model X below 2km (0.5%).

Going in to my 5th winter...
2. Pop open the Energy app and leave it at "Last 30 Miles / Last 50 km" and watch the Projected Range number. It will also count down as you use up the battery. (Side note: I wish the mini view of Energy on the center dash would show projected range, but it only shows the graph and average consumption number, so you have to use the app on the 17" screen).
I like there to be a 25% minimum buffer between Actual and Projected when I set out.

I'll put a vote in for the 'fake kms' way of calculating. We've been driving our model X 300kms regularly on a route with only a single supercharger stop roughly at the midpoint. In the roughly 1.5 years we've owned it, and the 'battery in km' seems easier for my wife to grok and works well enough for me. First off the easy rule of thumb for model X is put up the trip computer and watch your average wh/km for your entire trip (not limited to the last 50kms, if you don't want to be); subtract 200, divide by 2, and that's the %age extra mileage you need. E.g. you're driving 300km, and have gone 100 so far, average wh/km showing 260, you need 30% extra range. Since you have 200km to go, that means you need the battery to show you 260.

The math behind this is simple enough. The X is rated at 210 wh/km, but you're using 260 wh/km; so really you're using an extra 50 wh/km more than rated. That's 23.8% more. But by subtracting 200 instead of 210, you give yourself a bit of buffer (not to mention making the calculation simpler). So for the model X, battery showing KMs plus this simple rule of thumb makes it pretty quick to figure out if you need to charge ... a decision you'll be making as you approach the supercharger and while you're sitting there wondering if the notification that "you have enough energy to continue on your trip" is accurate.

For me the most stressful drive ever was going from Syracuse to Buffalo back when there was no charging between them - 200kms between these SCs and I panicked and stopped at a destination charger a mere 6 miles away from the destination with my battery showing less than 4km of range left. Cost me an extra hour on an already painful drive from New York to Muskoka with a trailer in tow...

Well the sad fact is that on 1/4 tank of gas my car can go as far as my model X can go on a full charge in the winter. The gas gauge isn't really linear, so when it reads 1/4 you often have way more than 1/4 left -- surely you've noticed that on your gas vehicles the tank stays close to "full" for quite a while, drops through the middle range almost instantly, and then seems to stick around 1/4 - 1/8th full forever?

Almost to a number, my gas cars have been very slow to reach 1/2 then they just rocket to Empty with no slowing down near the bottom. The exception was my old 2009 Cadillac CTS which had a very linear gas gauge.

I'll put a vote in for the 'fake kms' way of calculating.

Sure. I would say use what makes the most sense to you. I guess we're fortunate in that we have a number of ways to set up the displays, think about it and figure out your range.