Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian speed limit signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This problem started in mid April this year. For Canadians crossing into US, miles signs are read as kilometers and for US vehicles crossing into Canada km signs are read as miles. Some junior programmer does not know that there is a border. I just got 17.24.28 yesterday but won't be able to test if this fixes it until next week when I shuffle off to Buffalo.

This problem started in mid April this year. For Canadians crossing into US, miles signs are read as kilometers and for US vehicles crossing into Canada km signs are read as miles. Some junior programmer does not know that there is a border. I just got 17.24.28 yesterday but won't be able to test if this fixes it until next week when I shuffle off to Buffalo.

If you change your car to the units used in the country you're in, does that fix it. In other words, is it only a problem in Canada if your car is set for miles and a problem in the US if your car is set for km?

• Love
Reactions: neroden
It used to work perfectly, but I haven't been on a trip to the US since last fall to notice.
Maybe the software engineer who used to work on the USB media player with all its bugs got transfered earlier this year to the group in charge of unit conversions? :)

That's terrible... I wonder if that at least let me use AP2 at a much higher speed since it is reading 1.6x due to extra mile to km conversion. My AP2 is still calibrating.

I am installing firmware update now, not sure what version though. Hopefully it will fix the issue if it is 17.24.30

• Love
Got updated to 17.24.30. Speed limit display issue remains, it still says 97kmph on a 60kmph. I wonder if this impact all Canadian cars or just me because I have some special US setting?

AP2 function significantly improved, on my limited test around the block (local driving only) it sometimes seems worse and other times seems better than AP1, will require more testing to be sure.

Got updated to 17.24.30. Speed limit display issue remains, it still says 97kmph on a 60kmph. I wonder if this impact all Canadian cars or just me because I have some special US setting?

AP2 function significantly improved, on my limited test around the block (local driving only) it sometimes seems worse and other times seems better than AP1, will require more testing to be sure.

No, it is not just you. Tesla delivered my new Model X 100D to my home last Thursday (22-Jun-17). This bug is one of the first things I noticed. AP2, f/w 17.24.28. I live in Canada (Ontario).

I got a reply from general Tesla NA help and they said that they are aware of the issue but there are no firm resolution dates. Makes me a little sad as it is not an edge cross-country case for me, it happens everyday and is a embarrassing when I show the otherwise amazing car to others.

Oh, AP speed limit on local roads are not raised. So even though it says 97km/h, you are stilled limited to 60+10 kmph on auto steer. This is purely a display thing. If it at least had that I can be "OK" with it for a while.

• Informative
All Canadian cars have this issue and i'm surprised that Tesla hasn't resolved it. It's all due to a recent update in April that really messed up the readings. As Mr. Elbe pointed out, it's no doubt junior programmers who have disturbed the pot not knowing that Canada is metric.
In Europe, everyone is metric I believe so driving from one country to another doesn't change anything. However, going from Canada to the US is different. I wonder what it is like going to Mexico. I believe they are also metric if I'm not mistaken.
It's going to take a serious crash I'm afraid before Tesla gets their act together! Sad!

• Informative