TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Canadian speed limit signs

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Brucesown, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Brucesown

Brucesown New Member

I have a new MS. It seems to be looking at Canadian Km/h speed limits as if they are MPH and then converting to Km/h, so it shows things like 97 as the speed limit when it should be 60 Km/h. Anyone else have that problem?

2. ncitro

ncitro Member

Model X here, I crossed into Canada for the weekend and I'm seeing the same thing. Tried a "two thumb reset", no luck. Definitely not like this last time I was here in the spring.

3. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

This problem started in mid April this year. For Canadians crossing into US, miles signs are read as kilometers and for US vehicles crossing into Canada km signs are read as miles. Some junior programmer does not know that there is a border. I just got 17.24.28 yesterday but won't be able to test if this fixes it until next week when I shuffle off to Buffalo.

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

If you change your car to the units used in the country you're in, does that fix it. In other words, is it only a problem in Canada if your car is set for miles and a problem in the US if your car is set for km?

• Love x 1
  5. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

No, a Canadian car set to miles in the US will translate a 60 Mph sign to 42 Mph. The reverse is that a US car travelling in Canada set to metric units will translate a 100 km/h sign to 160 km/h.
    It used to work correctly until mid April when software update 17.14.23 introduced the error.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  6. geodj

geodj New Member

I've noticed this bug for a couple months now. I frequently cross the US-CA border, and I switch units as I do, so this is a particularly annoying problem.

• Informative x 2
  7. Rahtid

Rahtid Member

I just completed a Florida to Toronto and back road trip and noticed this bug as soon as I changed miles to kilometers and fahrenheit to celsius. Reported to Tesla help desk but no response for 3 weeks.

8. f-stop

f-stop Member

It used to work perfectly, but I haven't been on a trip to the US since last fall to notice.
    Maybe the software engineer who used to work on the USB media player with all its bugs got transfered earlier this year to the group in charge of unit conversions? :)

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Brand new s100d delivered near Toronto Canada today. 17.18.50.
    I have the problem, speed limit reads 160kmph in a 100kmph zone.

10. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

That sounds like you have US software installed. On my trip to Buffalo yesterday the problem was still there on my CDN AP1 car with 17.24.28 installed. At least it is correct in Canada.

11. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

That's terrible... I wonder if that at least let me use AP2 at a much higher speed since it is reading 1.6x due to extra mile to km conversion. My AP2 is still calibrating.

I am installing firmware update now, not sure what version though. Hopefully it will fix the issue if it is 17.24.30

• Love x 1
  12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

AP is unaffected. It only impacts the speed limit display and the speed warning chime.

• Informative x 1
  13. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Got updated to 17.24.30. Speed limit display issue remains, it still says 97kmph on a 60kmph. I wonder if this impact all Canadian cars or just me because I have some special US setting?

AP2 function significantly improved, on my limited test around the block (local driving only) it sometimes seems worse and other times seems better than AP1, will require more testing to be sure.

14. xspace

xspace Member

No, it is not just you. Tesla delivered my new Model X 100D to my home last Thursday (22-Jun-17). This bug is one of the first things I noticed. AP2, f/w 17.24.28. I live in Canada (Ontario).

15. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

I got a reply from general Tesla NA help and they said that they are aware of the issue but there are no firm resolution dates. Makes me a little sad as it is not an edge cross-country case for me, it happens everyday and is a embarrassing when I show the otherwise amazing car to others.

Oh, AP speed limit on local roads are not raised. So even though it says 97km/h, you are stilled limited to 60+10 kmph on auto steer. This is purely a display thing. If it at least had that I can be "OK" with it for a while.

• Informative x 1
  16. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

This is plain disgusting quality testing, if any. I guess that a country called Canada does exist escapes the feeble minds of the current Tesla programmers. Something that used to work correctly before mid April this year has been decimated by these rookies.
    I consider it a safety issue when the advertised speed warning function gives false readings.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Yes, same problem.

18. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

My model s was delivered with this problem on 17.18.50 and still present on 17.24.30. So this means it would be been there for at least 6 weeks (17-24)

For the others with this issue, where your tesla born with this or did it appear on a certain firmware version?

• Informative x 1
  19. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

All Canadian cars have this issue and i'm surprised that Tesla hasn't resolved it. It's all due to a recent update in April that really messed up the readings. As Mr. Elbe pointed out, it's no doubt junior programmers who have disturbed the pot not knowing that Canada is metric.
    In Europe, everyone is metric I believe so driving from one country to another doesn't change anything. However, going from Canada to the US is different. I wonder what it is like going to Mexico. I believe they are also metric if I'm not mistaken.
    It's going to take a serious crash I'm afraid before Tesla gets their act together! Sad!

• Informative x 1
  20. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

All Canadian cars have this issue? Seriously?
    I thought I was special and this only impacted US folks driving into Canada. Well, I am happy in a somewhat selfish way this impacts all Canadians so hopefully it will get fixed sooner.

• Like x 1