Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian speed limit signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
American cars have the problem if they come to Canada. Canadian cars have the (reverse) problem if they go to the USA. A few cars seem to be configured wrong and have the problem in their home county.

This is simply weak software design. Some functions do it right and some don't. They shouldn't have different parts of the software implementing it independently. There should be a master class providing all unit conversions.

Pretty sure Tesla would have to do it. Don't know what setting it is, but it's apparent there is one.

Question: do you have the ability to turn off your DRLs? If so your car thinks it is American.

No, I cannot turn off my DRL. And I must hold down the button on the app to summon. Both indicative of Canadian restrictions.

For now, I kind of the short end of the stick.

Well, my poor old 2013 doesn't have AP, but FWIW, I prefer to set my car to US units (in both Canada and the US), so that would probably just thoroughly confuse the systems!

Not sure why it matters what country the car is configured for. It should know where it is and just convert. Set it to km in the US and it should read the 60 MPH road sign and convert to +/- 100 km/h on the dash. If set to miles in Canada, read 100 km/h signs and convert to 63 MPH. And, of course, if set to the same units, just read and display.

Reactions: Boatguy
I picked up my car on June 28th, 2017 in Toronto and have the same problem (60 km/h shows up as 97). I reported it to the SC and they said "yes, it's a known technical glitch....it will get fixed in the next OTA". I got a software update just 2 days ago which did NOT fix this issue. Reading through this thread, it sounds like this is a new problem as of April. It seems like a "simple" fix....not sure why Tesla is not taking the initiative to fix it asap!! I guess we'll just have to wait and see.....

I picked up my car on June 28th, 2017 in Toronto and have the same problem (60 km/h shows up as 97). I reported it to the SC and they said "yes, it's a known technical glitch....it will get fixed in the next OTA". I got a software update just 2 days ago which did NOT fix this issue. Reading through this thread, it sounds like this is a new problem as of April. It seems like a "simple" fix....not sure why Tesla is not taking the initiative to fix it asap!! I guess we'll just have to wait and see.....
What firmware version do you have now? I also have this issue on my Model S picked up late June 2017. 17.26.xx

My MX was delivered in March, speedometer was in kilometres with no issues. I went from Vancouver to Seattle at the end of March. When I came back it continued to read the speed signs in Canada as if they were US and translated them (60 km translated to 97km - thinking it was a 60 mph sign) and has continued to do so ever since. I have taken it down to the Vancouver service centre 3 times and they reset everything (the units from US to Canadian and back, the whole computer system shut down and rebooted ) multiple times and eventually said just wait for a firmware update and that should fix it. There have been several since that date and the issue still exists. The service centre has no idea who will fix this or when, it's crazy... and to add to it the leaking falcon doors, inside door sills that came apart... not impressed with the build quality at all. But its fun to drive !
IMG_2485.JPG

My S100D was delivered in Ontario Canada near the end of June and had this issue since birth. I basically got used to it by now but it looks really bad for anyone that I demo the car to. I really wish they would just fix this so it doesn't look so embarrassing.

On a positive note the latest FW update 2017.28.cx was pretty good and I feel that driving wise we have reached parity with AP1. Just need to display more cars on the dash, vehicular type ID, and proper reading of speed limit signs. And fix that speed limit bug!

Looks like they messed this up even more on AP2 car software. At least my AP1 car shows correct km in Canada. It's in the US when things go bonkers. It's not a "technical glitch"! It is poor shoddy programming with no quality testing.

Nearly all of Tesla's programming is extremely shoddy with no quality testing.

I've been saying this for years; people didn't really want to listen (not suprising on this website). Tesla's programming competence is terrible, particularly for paid work. The only times I've seen worse were from Microsoft when they were programming to evade anti-trust lawsuits rather than for competence.

I could probably rewrite most of their system personally, in my spare time, in a month and fix most of the reported bugs.

But Tesla's software program *management* is clearly incompetent -- there seems to be no testsuite, no regression testing, poor change tracking, and there's definitely no license compliance.

This is sufficiently bad that they're probably unable to retain competent programmers. I wouldn't agree to work for Tesla unless they first agreed to become license-compliant -- which they currently are not. Of course, they probably can't afford my rates anyway.

Still seeing the problem on 2017.28.c528869

Same here, and as @Doug_G already mentioned, the error only appears for the speed limit sign. The TACC / AP display correctly shows the speed in either KMH or MPH based upon the posted limit. I've got the TACC set to +6 KMH and it hasn't missed a sign yet, but the speed limit display decides to multiply the same number that TACC correctly displays and convert it to the wrong number!!! Sloppy programming and I can't believe that they can't fix it promptly.