Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Stores and Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re-torquing is also critical. Though interestingly on the Tesla re-torquing has never found any nut in need, whereas on my wife's VW re-torquing always finds at least 1-2 per wheel that have worked loose. Maybe it's the insanely high torque rating on the Tesla, maybe it's just that everything is still clean and new, I'm not sure.

Most shops recommend 100km, but the actual distance isn't critical, just that it's after things have a chance to shift around a bit, but before you've driven so far that a lug nut could have come loose enough to cause an issue. Almost all shops that remove your wheels will offer a free re-torque, and many leave a note in your car, and/or on the sales slip. Keep in mind it's not just for when you change over from summer to winters or whatnot, any time a wheel comes off for anything this should be done (eg brake work)

A good torque wrench isn't horribly expensive though, so I do it myself as it's far more convenient.

To add another voice with the same advice... Once, years ago, I forgot to re-tighten the bolts after changing the wheels and all the nuts on one wheel worked loose. I heard a repetitive clunking sound at low speed that went away as I sped up. When I slowed down, it happened again so I pulled over and checked. One of the nuts was actually loose enough to turn with my fingers. I tightened all the nuts on all wheels and then checked them again when I got home. I was lucky - it could have been much worse. Now I have a proper torque wrench. Whenever I change wheels, I drive around the block, retorque, and then retorque again a couple of weeks later.

Reactions: Falkirk
To add another voice with the same advice... Once, years ago, I forgot to re-tighten the bolts after changing the wheels and all the nuts on one wheel worked loose. ... Whenever I change wheels, I drive around the block, retorque, and then retorque again a couple of weeks later.

Same thing happened to my wife's car. I do exactly the same thing... re-torque after a few hours, then a few days or weeks afterwards.

True story... many years ago when I was living in Ottawa a friend of mine had his winter tires put on by a certain store (common nickname starts with "Crappy" ___ ). On his way home later that day one of his wheels came off! I guess they forgot to tighten the lug nuts on that one. Moral of the story: a) go to a shop that knows what they're doing, and b) regardless of who changes the wheels, check and re-torque all the lug nuts

I stopped by the new Oakville Service centre today. Had to make my way through a large assemby of Halton's finest, complete with SWAT team and dogs - no idea what was up with that!

It looks like considerable progress is being made. the exterior looks pretty well done, and a large crew was working on the interior. Although the width of the building doesn't seem great, it is a deep building, so it looks like they'll have a pretty good capacity. No sign yet of superchargers, but there's still time for that, I suppose.

IMG_2510.JPG
IMG_2511.JPG
IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG
IMG_2514.JPG

They should not put a public supercharger there, let alone a 12 stall IMHO. The traffic at the Lawrence service centre supercharger is unnecessarily distractive to service personnel and reduces their service efficiency. Owners have been occupying service tech's time with unscheduled service questions and concerns while they are charging. The Oakville lot is not that big and they will need all the space for Model 3 deliveries, although, they may ultimately need to do deliveries out of another location. I say put the superchargers a short distance away right beside food amenities such as across the street at Tim Horton's. Apparently the rumour has it that the superchargers may indeed go a short distance away but the location has not been confirmed.

I never considered the small lot size at Oakville... thinking back to Lawrence at least they have a small parking lot in the back to store all their cars, and even then it was often crammed and there were no visitor parking spots available. With Oakville, there is a smaller parking lot at the front and a few spots in the back, but its smaller than Lawrence.

It's possible they could remove your wheel without lifting the entire car, but if you're still curious, no, Canadian Tire are unable to lift Model S's. I tried.

This is most curious. There is absolutely nothing special with the Model S when it comes to lifting the car and dealing with wheels/tires/brakes. Most, if not all modern cars have lift points just like the Tesla. Maybe they just didn't want to.

This is most curious. There is absolutely nothing special with the Model S when it comes to lifting the car and dealing with wheels/tires/brakes. Most, if not all modern cars have lift points just like the Tesla. Maybe they just didn't want to.
Model S's are low and wide. It's the combination that means the diagonal supports on their lifting arms collide with the rocker panels of the car.

I had the same experience at a trusted mechanic shop on PEI, and I was there to see the issue first hand.

• Informative
Reactions: derekasch
Model S's are low and wide. It's the combination that means the diagonal supports on their lifting arms collide with the rocker panels of the car.

I had the same experience at a trusted mechanic shop on PEI, and I was there to see the issue first hand.

Odd indeed. My local Canadian Tire lifts everything from Smart Cars to Cadillac Escalades, although I've never seen a Tesla there. My local Kal Tire had no problem at all with my car, and their lifts look very similar to my local Can Tire. I guess there are some oddball lifts out at certain shops.