TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Canadian Superchargers

Discussion in 'Canada Supercharger locations' started by Doug_G, Jan 15, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

This picture is very interesting. The large gray cabinets in the rear are the Distribution Center (a really big circuit breaker cabinet). The squat, grey box to the left, and behind the white Supercharger Cabinets looks like a transformer. This is the first time that I have seen a transformer inside the equipment enclosure. In the U.S., the utility transformer is always outside the Tesla equipment enclosure.

Because Canada uses a 600/346 Volt, 3-Phase standard and the Supercharger Cabinets expect a 480/277 Volt, 3-Phase connection, is this transformer in place to step down the Voltage for the Supercharger Cabinets and in addition to the utility transformer?

Before the equipment enclosure is enclosed, it would be really interesting if someone could take some pictures of any labels, etc on that transformer to further understand its purpose.

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That could very well be the problem. In the grand scheme of things, Canada typically doesn't fit into the category of "large swath" compared to other markets.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that looks like a dry-type transformer to step the voltage down. BTW, this is not in the least uncommon in other typical electrical installations. Often commercial buildings are supplied at 347/600v 3-phase, 4-wire and dry-type transformers are utilized within the building to supply 120 volt outlets, lights etc. (although 347 volt lighting systems are common in large commercial buildings too).

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Indeed, our building has 3 phase supply, has 347V lighting, and a transformer near the electrical panel that creates 208/120V for everything else.

4. KenN

KenN Member

Can anyone get a good zoomed in photo of the nameplate on that transformer? Just curious, it'll tell me a thing or two. You should find a plate that lists the primary (HV), secondary (LV), and load ratings like this:

Xfmr.jpg

5. KenN

KenN Member

I see from the supercharge.info site, Tifton, Georgia went online yesterday, and the USA site count clicked over to 100. So Squish won't be NA site #100.

6. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

It's very similar to him saying in November of last year that the 6.0 firmware would start rolling out in "January"...

I repeat - I'm so sad he's not coming to TMC Connect... I really wanted to ask him to show us his calendar...

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

He didn't say which January. :tongue:

I'd give them a pass on software. That stuff is never on time. Even my stuff.

8. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Will be up there on Saturday. Hopefully the fencing won't be up yet & I can get hopefully the last construction update. It'll be opened while I'm enroute to TMC Connect. :(

9. HTK

HTK Member

BC Hydro installed what I was told was a new transformer about 50-60 feet to the left of the photo and wires were run under the pavement to where Tesla's boxes are.

10. ZsoZso

ZsoZso Active Member

And with that message you got the thread to page-100 too, so the SC lost both races... :-(

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yes, that will be required at every Supercharger site. Typically a 500 or 750 kVA utility-owned transformer to supply enough power. The issue with the dry-type transformer in Tesla's enclosure is likely to transform the utility voltage to a level that the Supercharger equipment needs.

12. VCanucks

VCanucks Member

I'll swing by the site today and ask them that, and see if they'll let me take a picture of the label as well for KenN. I honestly live less than 5 minutes away haha.

13. catnip

catnip Member

Even if it is up & running by July, 2014; I say, it is still one and a half year toooo late for the Canadian Tesla owners.

14. KenN

KenN Member

Mostly curiousity, I just want to confirm some of the service sizing.

My only beef with the SC location is that it's still almost a 1 km walk to the Shady Tree. Love that pub!

15. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Mostly curiosity for me, too. I am guessing that they will use a "Buck" type transformer because it only needs about 1/4 of the kVA of a full transformer (70/277). Buck-boost transformer - Wikipedia I am basing my guess on the relatively small size of that transformer, and Tesla wanting to save some money on iron and copper.

16. VCanucks

VCanucks Member

Ah it's less than than a 10 min walk, also nearby is sushi sen which has really good sushi.

17. VCanucks

VCanucks Member

So it is bringing it down to 480 from 600, but I couldn't get a picture as they're busy fencing it up with wood

18. SlyWombat

SlyWombat Member

19. TM Ownership

TM Ownership Member

We are pleased to announce the first Canadian Supercharger Station in Squamish, BC is now open. This is an important milestone and we could not have done it without the help of our owners and supporters. We encourage your continued support by writing, emailing, or calling utility companies and local government kindly letting them know how important Supercharging is for you and local communities.

We continue to push forward to ensure that the major Canadian routes on our 2014 map are enabled as quickly as possible.

- Eastern Canada:
    o Priority routes: Toronto – Montreal, Montreal – Quebec City, Toronto – North Bay (via Barrie)
    o Our first site in Toronto will break ground in July, and we’ll push this through construction as fast as possible.
    o Cornwall, ON is on schedule to break ground shortly thereafter. Other sites will open throughout the Summer depending on permit and utility company timing.

2014-07-11_1801.png

- Western Canada:
    o Priority routes: Vancouver – Whistler, Vancouver – Banff, Calgary – Edmonton
    o Squamish, BC, our first Canadian Supercharger site, is now open.
    o Hope, BC is poised to move quickly, pending utility company support. Other sites will open throughout the Summer depending on permit and utility company timing.
    o Target sites have been selected for the remaining 4 sites along the Western Canada routes and we are now into the utility and site design phase.

2014-07-11_1802.png

As we navigate through zoning, permitting, and utility company processes, we continue our policy to communicate firm timing and locations once we and our partners are sure a site will be open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.