Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why it would be any more difficult working in Canada than it would be in northern US states like Wisconsin or Michigan. The ground isn't more frozen here. I don't even know if it is frozen in BC (where most of the Superchargers are going).

Two points: When I talked to the crew that put in Ellensburg, WA, they said they had to jack-hammer through 50 cm of frozen ground to lay their trenches. So clearly, it can be done! And as for BC, here on the coast it is quite balmy-- 5-10 C, but in the mountain interior, where most of the SC's are slated to go in-- different story!

The BC Tesla Owners Club held its inaugural meeting at the Vancouver Service Centre tonight, at which a company rep said that the first Canadian supercharger will be unveiled in Squamish during April. Permitting is complete but construction hasn't begun yet. The location wasn't specified because the landowner apparently doesn't want to be pestered by Models S owners. So maybe the superchargers spotted on a truck west of Toronto are headed to BC?

Two questions about superchargers.

Is there anyway to influence the location of future superchargers? I'm Sure there would be demand for superchargers between Toronto and Muskoka.

Is there any good indication of how many superchargers they will be between Toronto and Montreal? The map suggests that there will be two. If one is in Kingston, that will be halfway. Where would the second one go?

Two questions about superchargers.

Is there anyway to influence the location of future superchargers? I'm Sure there would be demand for superchargers between Toronto and Muskoka.

Is there any good indication of how many superchargers they will be between Toronto and Montreal? The map suggests that there will be two. If one is in Kingston, that will be halfway. Where would the second one go?

You can send an e-mail to [email protected], they take feedback from owners on potential locations.

The second red dot looks like Hwy 416 & 401 near Prescott, to cover both Ottawa and Montreal. Nothing's announced yet though, and dots have been moving around.

I'm Sure there would be demand for superchargers between Toronto and Muskoka.

^^I vote for this! Some would argue that you can get to Muskoka from the GTA on a full charge no problem, and yes you can. However, many people head to Muskoka on Friday evening and after driving around all day, do not have an absolutely full charge to get there. I have resorted to not driving the Model S in late afternoon so I can top up. A Supercharger, in say Barrie, would eliminate this inconvenient requirement. It would likely be a busy spot!

Tesla please consider a Supercharger in Barrie, Ontario.

^^I vote for this! Some would argue that you can get to Muskoka from the GTA on a full charge no problem, and yes you can. However, many people head to Muskoka on Friday evening and after driving around all day, do not have an absolutely full charge to get there. I have resorted to not driving the Model S in late afternoon so I can top up. A Supercharger, in say Barrie, would eliminate this inconvenient requirement. It would likely be a busy spot!

Tesla please consider a Supercharger in Barrie, Ontario.

Just south, or just north of Barrie? I think just south would make the most sense.

Yes I agree it might be better having it a little further north but at least it would work nicely for those outside the GTA to the east and West. Also, Barrie would be accessible from the London and Belleville superchargers, if that is indeed where they are going. And best of all it works for those that can't get in a full charge before a Friday evening trip.

3rd or 4th quarter now is it?
i was told that they would be installed originally by February, then early spring.
With Tesla's interests clearly setting up Norway, Europe and China, I don't believe we will EVER see a Supercharger in Canada, at least not for a long long time.
Canada appears irrelevant to Tesla.

Where did you see/hear "3rd or 4th quarter"??? :frown:

That would be extremely disappointing, though not surprising given the periodic moving of the goal posts. The Supercharger page originally indicated "Winter 2013" for the first 401 Superchargers. It appears the schedule is moving back at the rate of one month per month.

My wife is getting frustrated by the inconvenience of road tripping with the Model S. We have to carefully plan our schedule around the car's charging needs, spending extra hours waiting in restaurants while charging, and occasionally run into a major disruption when we get ICE'd. I keep telling her it will get better when the Superchargers are in. Pretty soon she's going to be insisting on getting an ICE, or at least renting one, for road trips.

Without the Superchargers in Ontario there is no way my wife will go for a Model X. I also keep telling her they are coming but she is skeptical as well.

In the Tesla Amsterdam meeting Elon and JP mention they are opening 5 Superchargers per week. At that rate they could have Canada done in a month. Also they are shooting for 135 KW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.