Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested how many Ontario owners, or even Canadian owners, have ever actually tried a Supercharger. I had the chance to get down to NYC last week and try the one in Darrien and it was amazing. Doug G.....even my wife said she was blown away by it! The experience is seamless, quick and just such an unbelievable contrast from even using a CS100 Sun Country charger (that we are lucky to have in Canada). It just reconfirms to me how the Superchargers themselves and/or the charge experience might almost be more revolutionary than the car itself. Once people start actually using these in Canada, Canadian sales will go way up guaranteed as it removes the excuses.

Yeah, I've never used one myself. I'm going to New York in a couple of weeks and hope to take the Tesla, but the Superchargers aren't anywhere near where I need them to be.

It would be really handy if they could get the Albany NY Supercharger working in the next two weeks!

My wife and I did a quick trip to Portland a couple of weeks ago and used the two superchargers flanking Seattle (Burlington and Centralia). The two stops down (and back) were a very nice break from the (sort of) monotony of travel. We had lunch each way in one of the breaks, and wandered around relaxing in the other. Get back on the highway refreshed and relaxed, and both times got to our destination not feeling like we'd spent a day on the road at all. Of course part of that the Model S should also get credit -- not sure what it is, but boy are long trips ever nice. My guess is the smooth "effortless" acceleration, regen braking easier on the leg and foot, the feeling of the car just sticking to the road, the supremely quiet ride.... what else??? Maybe all the thumbs ups from other drivers inundating us with good will, too, who knows! :)

Last edited:
I know but the car will not work on the supercharger if it is not enabled by Tesla.

Not sure I understand....these are two different things right? When you order the car, you have to pay for supercharging on the 60, and it's included in any 85. Dual-chargers is optional on any Model S and gives you L2 charging from 50-100amps (where available).

- - - Updated - - -

Got a timeframe nugget you can throw our way at least?

Maybe the Toronto one? Hopefully it's just going at the Lawrence Ave service centre. Great spot when going downtown for an event from outside the GTA. Or hit it after before getting back on the 401.

I'm actually not a Model S owner. I test drove in Toronto, but as a bigger guy (6'2", 280lbs), I wasn't very comfortable entering and exiting the S. Loved the car other than that tho. Hoping the X will blow me away next year.

I live about 20 min north of where the Kingston supercharger is planned.

Not sure I understand....these are two different things right? When you order the car, you have to pay for supercharging on the 60, and it's included in any 85. Dual-chargers is optional on any Model S and gives you L2 charging from 50-100amps (where available).

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the Toronto one? Hopefully it's just going at the Lawrence Ave service centre. Great spot when going downtown for an event from outside the GTA. Or hit it after before getting back on the 401.

I'm actually not a Model S owner. I test drove in Toronto, but as a bigger guy (6'2", 280lbs), I wasn't very comfortable entering and exiting the S. Loved the car other than that tho. Hoping the X will blow me away next year.

I live about 20 min north of where the Kingston supercharger is planned.

I was told by the Toronto East (Lawrence) store that they weren't going there, but somewhere else off the 401, but that could always change.

I'd love to see Tesla strike up a deal with a progressive gas station chain for a series of "MetroChargers" at their stations across the country. Charge me a somewhat outrageous amount to plug in if they want ($10 per 10 minutes maybe on a sliding scale upwards the longer I'm plugged in). That would go a long way towards adoption and killing range anxiety. Of course there is the whole chicken and egg problem - Tesla would probably have to subsidize this effort.

I don't need my power to be free, just fast, and readily available (sorry somewhat off topic).

I'm with you on that!

I was told by the Toronto East (Lawrence) store that they weren't going there, but somewhere else off the 401, but that could always change.

I'd love to see Tesla strike up a deal with a progressive gas station chain for a series of "MetroChargers" at their stations across the country. Charge me a somewhat outrageous amount to plug in if they want ($10 per 10 minutes maybe on a sliding scale upwards the longer I'm plugged in). That would go a long way towards adoption and killing range anxiety. Of course there is the whole chicken and egg problem - Tesla would probably have to subsidize this effort.

I don't need my power to be free, just fast, and readily available (sorry somewhat off topic).

I completely agree. Was hoping to be able use the superchargers for a few trips in May and onwards, but sounds like that won't be happening and the ICE will be getting basically another year's worth of road trips on the odometer.

I'm interested how many Ontario owners, or even Canadian owners, have ever actually tried a Supercharger. I had the chance to get down to NYC last week and try the one in Darrien and it was amazing. Doug G.....even my wife said she was blown away by it! The experience is seamless, quick and just such an unbelievable contrast from even using a CS100 Sun Country charger (that we are lucky to have in Canada). It just reconfirms to me how the Superchargers themselves and/or the charge experience might almost be more revolutionary than the car itself. Once people start actually using these in Canada, Canadian sales will go way up guaranteed as it removes the excuses.

I've never had a chance to use a Supercharger yet. Looking forward to the experience.
I was figuring that the Superchargers along the 401 corridor would be at the En Route stops...right off the highway, with different restaurants. Whenever I go to Montreal in my ICE, I normally stop at the En Route stops because they are so handy.

Probably impossible to do a deal with En Route, because of the way the Ontario government set it up. Canadian Tire runs all automotive services. An American company runs the restaurants. Canadian Tire has absolutely zero incentive to host the Superchargers - won't make them a penny. Tesla owners will arrive, spend money in American-owned restaurants, and leave.

Your government inaction.

Interestingly, Tesla confirmed that you do. I found this odd as well.

I could be totally wrong but I believe that dual chargers are not required for super charging. Cars purchased with dual chargers have super charging already enabled as part of the purchase price. Cars with single chargers must have super charging enabled by Tesla...
The on-board chargers are actually ac to dc converters. Power from the super chargers is dc already and super charging actually bypasses the on-board converter(s). It doesn't matter if you have one or two.

Had the pleasure of using the Maumee, Ohio supercharger on my way to Columbus. Unbelievable how much power it can pump into your car through that small connector. I charged initially at 120KW and got 100 km in 10 minutes! Because it tapers off, I ended up charging for an hour to get it almost full to 390 km.

Hey gang,

I'm not thrilled to hear about Kingston taking until September. I was really counting on the Toronto to Montreal corridor being supercharged for this summer. I'm ordering my Model S soon and wanted to take the road trip in it instead of my SUV to go visit family. How sure are we that Kingston will be the first, and that it's really going to take until September. That just doesn't seem to fit into the "coming soon" category that Tesla categorizes the site as on the map.

Also, regarding dual chargers, it is 100% confirmed that you do NOT need them for supercharging. Think of the physics here. On board chargers (single or dual) are for converting AC to DC. They are not involved in supercharging, where DC is shunted directly to the battery. When I was at the Tesla store I was even chatting to the sales guy about whether dual chargers are a good idea or not and he said he thought they were, in Ontario, but that eventually he sees how the superchargers would make dual chargers unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.