TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Canadian Tire + Schneider Electric

Discussion in 'Canada' started by djp, Apr 6, 2013.

1. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

It appears Canadian Tire has chosen Schneider Electric as their vendor for EV charging stations.

Shaun Fernandes | Design Canadian Tire and Chevrolet EV Charging Stations

I assume these are the units going into the Canadian Tire OnRoute stations. Disappointing since the Schneider EVlink is only 30A. And I hope Schneider has fixed their ground current bug that prevents Roadsters from using the stations.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Wow, if they put them at the En Route stations I would only ever use them in an emergency. A full charge for a Model S would be something like 17 hours at 208V 24A delivered power. I expect they would gather cobwebs.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

There's new ONroute stations going in on the 401 just east of Cambridge. I pass them every day. Too bad they're only going to be 30 amps, but if our building can swing it, I'm going to put in a public CS-90 and we're just a couple of miles off the 401. Not the most convenient location, but for a CS-90, I'd take the detour!

4. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Yeah I'm not sure I see the point.... A 30A charging station at a rest stop is rather uesless!

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I recently went >20 km out of my way for a CS-90, and would go a fair bit further if it meant 2 hours waiting instead of 6...

- - - Updated - - -

I can't imagine what vehicles they expext to use them. Leaf? How many will drive their Leaf 500 km, and how long would that take? At best Volt owners would save a few cents during their stopover...

6. Zapped

Zapped Model S - PURE EV

Can the Volt or Leaf accept anything more than a 30 Amp charge ?
    Rather short sighted for Canadian Tire in any case. Must not aware of growing # of the Model S owners.
    Don't think that we'll see anything out west anyway.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

AFAIK they don't even do 30A. The Ford EV does, though.