TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Canadian Tire + Schneider Electric

Discussion in 'Canada' started by djp, Apr 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

It appears Canadian Tire has chosen Schneider Electric as their vendor for EV charging stations.

Shaun Fernandes | Design Canadian Tire and Chevrolet EV Charging Stations

I assume these are the units going into the Canadian Tire OnRoute stations. Disappointing since the Schneider EVlink is only 30A. And I hope Schneider has fixed their ground current bug that prevents Roadsters from using the stations.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Wow, if they put them at the En Route stations I would only ever use them in an emergency. A full charge for a Model S would be something like 17 hours at 208V 24A delivered power. I expect they would gather cobwebs.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

There's new ONroute stations going in on the 401 just east of Cambridge. I pass them every day. Too bad they're only going to be 30 amps, but if our building can swing it, I'm going to put in a public CS-90 and we're just a couple of miles off the 401. Not the most convenient location, but for a CS-90, I'd take the detour!

4. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Yeah I'm not sure I see the point.... A 30A charging station at a rest stop is rather uesless!

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I recently went >20 km out of my way for a CS-90, and would go a fair bit further if it meant 2 hours waiting instead of 6...

- - - Updated - - -

I can't imagine what vehicles they expext to use them. Leaf? How many will drive their Leaf 500 km, and how long would that take? At best Volt owners would save a few cents during their stopover...

6. Zapped

Zapped Model S - PURE EV

Can the Volt or Leaf accept anything more than a 30 Amp charge ?
    Rather short sighted for Canadian Tire in any case. Must not aware of growing # of the Model S owners.
    Don't think that we'll see anything out west anyway.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

AFAIK they don't even do 30A. The Ford EV does, though.