Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Canadian Trip Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do the new Superchargers in Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor change the recommended route from Woodstock to St. Louis? (Ann Arbor isn't actually open yet, but should be soon.)

Why wouldn't you just continue down the 401 and cross at Windsor/Detroit? It's no further, in fact, I think it's shorter, and you have access to the Comber Supercharger just outside Windsor. From there, it looks like Superchargers all the way.

Why wouldn't you just continue down the 401 and cross at Windsor/Detroit? ...

Just thought Sarnia might be a smoother border crossing. In March, they iced my car by leaving the windows and trunks open after a search. It wouldn't have been so bad, but there were so many people being questioned (some of whom didn't speak English) that they took a long time to get to me for their minimum processing.

Just thought Sarnia might be a smoother border crossing. In March, they iced my car by leaving the windows and trunks open after a search. It wouldn't have been so bad, but there were so many people being questioned (some of whom didn't speak English) that they took a long time to get to me for their minimum processing.

My daughter lives in Chicago, so have crossed at Sarnia in the old ICE many times. With the Tesla, I go through Detroit. I was very pleasantly surprised at the Detroit crossing. The lines were no worse than, and in fact, I think shorter than what I would see at Sarnia.

What caused the inspection? I've only had that one time and it was because I was transporting someone without a Canadian or US passport and they had to report in to the office. I think a car search is "standard" in those circumstances. It was, however, quick and efficient.

Aloha!
My dog and I are heading from Vancouver, B.C., to Hyder Alaska in a 70D this coming week, via Hope and Kamloops SCs, and then north through Prince George, Highway 16, then 37/37A to Stewart. I'm planning to do much of the recharging at RV parks. Any suggestions for charging locations or RV charging/campsites would be much appreciated.
The Electric Road Trip | One summer, 50 states in a Tesla with my dog. Join us! .

Last edited:

The secret for Detroit crossing is to use the tunnel. Hardly any wait.

For more than 50 years the tunnel crossing has been known to cause more problems than the bridge. Perhaps that info is out of date, but I still won't use the tunnel unless I have strong evidence that it's improved. I've had no problems at the bridge for many years.

Grand Rapids is unfortunately off the beaten path if all you're trying to do is pass through Michigan, which I usually am. That's why the Ann Arbor SChs are so important. Without them, it's the famous Indiana toll road (and Ohio Turnpike).

Aloha!
My dog and I are heading from Vancouver, B.C., to Hyder Alaska in a 70D this coming week, via Hope and Kamloops SCs, and then north through Prince George, Highway 16, then 37/37A to Stewart. I'm planning to do much of the recharging at RV parks. Any suggestions for charging locations or RV charging/campsites would be much appreciated.
The Electric Road Trip | One summer, 50 states in a Tesla with my dog. Join us! .

You might want to contact AudubonB. I understand he was planning to drive his Model S from Phoenix to Alaska, although I'm not sure what his route was or if he completed the trip. Could also post on the Western Canada Supercharger thread and get some response from owners in BC

The secret for Detroit crossing is to use the tunnel. Hardly any wait.

My last two trips I used the Ambassador Bridge. One time, heading in to the US, I drove straight up to the Customs booth. There was no one in front of me. My longest delay was talking to the guy about my Tesla and waiting while he called one of his co-workers over from an adjacent booth to look at the car. Seriously. The second time heading in to the US there was maybe 5 cars in front of me. Coming back in to Canada was a bit worse, but no more than 15 or 20 minutes in line. I've been much longer than that at Sarnia. It's been years since I've used the tunnel, so have no comparison for that.

RiverBricdrunkf9103 said:
They search the frunk?

They search the frunk?

When I crossed over at Detroit the first time and the customs guy was really interested in the car (see post above), at one point he asked me to "pop the trunk". I opened the rear trunk and he just looked inside at the suitcases. After I drove away, I thought wow, he never asked "which" trunk, and I had even forgotten about the frunk myself.

One thing I'd be leery of with the frunk is having them not close it properly and wind up with a dent or crease. They generally don't like you getting out of the car. If you do get pulled aside for an interview, you have to surrender your keys and go inside while an agent searches your car. Same concern with the frunk lid there too.

Aloha!
That trip will definitely be one for a blog! Not much to choose from up that way.

If you haven't already driven by, there is an HPWC in the Plugshare database in Cache Creek, next to a Sun Country - both are new and both are functional. Owners of the motel are Tesla-friendly, needless to say.

Plugshare shows a charger in Clinton, however it's not set up for Tesla (I checked) and unless you have an RV plug (TT if I'm not mistaken) and a day to charge, it's not worth counting on.

Thompson Rivers University has Add Energie on their Williams Lake campus. You need the card to get it to go, even though the power is free. Perhaps it can be unlocked with a phone call, I'm not sure. Your car will complain about a wiring issue and slow down to 20 amps at 195 volts, so bring a sandwich... The Coast Fraser Inn (also Williams Lake) was going to install a HPWC, but I don't know if that's happened yet.

I have no direct experience north of that... but don't think it gets any easier!

Sounds like I get to dive in to the complex trip planning part sooner than I expected. Haven't even got the car yet and my wife is talking about a road trip to Vancouver, great I think, superchargers all the way! No, she wants to go via her cousin's place in Kimberly BC...
Looking it up, should be able to get to Kimberly from the Canmore supercharger, though where to charge once there is not something I've figured out yet. From there though, is there any good way to travel west to Vancouver? Or am I best to head back north to Golden to hit the supercharger route?

Or am I best to head back north to Golden to hit the supercharger route?
That's what I'd do. The time spent searching down and charging at small Level 2 locations will likely exceed the double-back time to Golden. And if this is your first trip, it might be good to get used to how accurate the energy prediction is, etc, before getting frustrated with slow Level 2's. The southern route would be challenging and might not be the best first experience with the car.

Sounds like I get to dive in to the complex trip planning part sooner than I expected. Haven't even got the car yet and my wife is talking about a road trip to Vancouver, great I think, superchargers all the way! No, she wants to go via her cousin's place in Kimberly BC...
I've driven from Edmonton to Kimberley and back, never on to Vancouver from there. I stopped in Invermere after leaving Canmore, Invermere has 2 CS-90 charging stations while Kimberley has none. If you want to continue down Hwy 95 and over to Hwy 3 you should be able to make it, it'll just take you bloody forever as there are a couple of stops that only have 30A charging. I think your best bet is to head back up to Golden after Kimberley.

I've driven from Edmonton to Kimberley and back, never on to Vancouver from there. I stopped in Invermere after leaving Canmore, Invermere has 2 CS-90 charging stations while Kimberley has none. If you want to continue down Hwy 95 and over to Hwy 3 you should be able to make it, it'll just take you bloody forever as there are a couple of stops that only have 30A charging. I think your best bet is to head back up to Golden after Kimberley.
Still waiting for the car, and plans are evolving.
One thought was to go Canmore -> Invermere -> Kimberly -> Cranbrook -> Ceour D'alene (Supercharger) and then take the supercharger route west through Seattle (wife wants to go to Seattle anyway on the trip) But this is still awkward, the Invermere chargers are CS90s so charge pretty well, but it's still a multi-hour stop, this wouldn't be so bad in summer as we enjoy wandering a town, but in November I'm less certain about this plan. Worse yet is the lack of charging beyond 110 in Kimberly, and it might involve a few more hours in Cranbrook at their slower (30A?) charger. (I think I can reach Ceour D'alene from there)

I think I may push to stick to superchargers on our first trip, skip Kimberly and just go to Vancouver, dip south to Seattle, and back North.

Though if I get the car before the end of the month that "first trip" may not be first anyway, I actually have some road trips piling up, depends on when I get my car though, I'll be in Merritt in a couple weeks, and I may end up in Invermere at the end of the month, and if I have the Tesla by then I'll be driving it (but I'll likely have the destination HPWC at Copperpoint if I do that trip)

I would REALLY appreciate a supercharger in Invermere, and one in Cranbrook...

That's for sure. Highway 3 will have to be one of the next few routes for them to populate. I suspect it all depends on how many Tesla vehicles they see driving around that area to see if it's worthwhile for them or not.

Not having a SC in Fernie or Fort Macleod/somewhere south of Calgary will be a huge disappointment for me when I get to buying mode in a few years.

Right now my biggest supercharger location wishes are Kelowna and Invermere. I go to Invermere a couple times a year, luckily I should be able to destination charge there, but I'd like to be able to go further south, and that's currently awkward.
I also go up to Big White ski area (near Kelowna) annually.this one worries me right now, I don't believe there is any destination charging up there (I've had trouble arranging a block heater plug in that place in the past!) And slow charging in town before heading up adds a lot of time to what is usually already a late arrival in Big White.

Kelowna would help a lot, Ideally before December (not holding my breath)
Merrit I don't really care about, I do go there every year, but destination charging is fine while I'm there (last year my vehicle spent the whole weekend parked 2 stalls away from a destination charger) and the superchargers get you there just fine.
I'd rather they put that one in Invermere...