Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Canadian Trip Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a trip planner that lets me factor in the public chargers (with the J-1772 ports) + destination charging?
Not that I'm aware of. Each day is like a discrete trip as far as charging goes and I'm not aware of any tools that organize multi day trips. Thankfully it's entirely unnecessary for this region since destination charging is so readily available. Just bite off your trip into 2 parts and test your destination charging choices for the sensitivity of the overall trip duration. There's not that much left to optimize, IMHO.

When I am driving through NB I see how far I have gone, then about 7 or 8 o’clock at night when I feel that I know about how far I want to go, I phone one of the hotels with overnight chargers to check if they have a room and if anyone is using the charger, if they only have one. It is no sweat because there are several hotels on your route all long the TransCanada with chargers, some with more than one charger. I use PlugShare for that. And whenever I stay at a hotel and charge, when I check in or out I make it a point to tell them that the reason I stayed was because of their charger, to encourage them to maintain or expand their charging infrastructure. There are small chains like Amsterdam Suites that have installed chargers at multiple motels. It wouldn’t take very many stays by clients in a room that otherwise would have been empty to recoup the cost of putting in a Level 2 charger. But they have to know that that is why we stayed there, or they may not realize it is a cash generator for them.

Last edited:
With the hope that my Model 3 will arrive in the next few months - and as a way to distract myself from the waiting - I'm contemplating a (max) 10 day road trip with the kids (aged 10 & 14) this summer from Victoria, BC to either:
  • Red Deer (to visit family) with a stop in Banff, or
  • Saskatchewan (probably not the most feasible for charging as family & friends live in Saskatoon & Birch Hills), or
  • Oregon? California? (No family there, sightseeing only and not interested in theme parks)
Would appreciate suggestions/advice on any/all of these potential route ideas. :)

With the hope that my Model 3 will arrive in the next few months - and as a way to distract myself from the waiting - I'm contemplating a (max) 10 day road trip with the kids (aged 10 & 14) this summer from Victoria, BC to either:
  • Saskatchewan (probably not the most feasible for charging as family & friends live in Saskatoon & Birch Hills), or
  • Oregon? California? (No family there, sightseeing only and not interested in theme parks)
Would appreciate suggestions/advice on any/all of these potential route ideas. :)
- Red Deer is an absolute no brainer with Tesla superchargers all the way, including in Red Deer itself. I say that with an S that has 400km range. What's the Model 3 range? I can't remember.
- Oregon and California are very simple, superchargers all the way down I5 and a lot of 101 on the west coast. Once you get near the SF/LA area my understanding from reading is, the problem shifts to possible crowding at superchargers. But they're there! We go to Reno once or twice a year in two days of driving each way; California would cut 6-7 days off your 10-day calendar just for driving (there and back). Unless you're one of those 1,000 miles per day warriors.
- Saskatchewan is still doable, your eastern-most supercharger is Fort MacLeod I believe. In 2018 it's possible that superchargers will open in Swift Current and Regina, but of course that's on Tesla Time(™) so you can't count on it being ready on your dates. So you can get to Swift Current easily, for example, but then you're relegated to a 4-5 hour Level 2 charging wait in the middle of the day once you've driven for 3-4 hours. Superchargers: 30-45 minutes depending on where you go next.

If you have any questions that are better answered verbally, or want to go for coffee give me a call or PM (Jeremey).

• Helpful
Reactions: Kira
- Red Deer is an absolute no brainer with Tesla superchargers all the way, including in Red Deer itself. I say that with an S that has 400km range. What's the Model 3 range? I can't remember.
- Oregon and California are very simple, superchargers all the way down I5 and a lot of 101 on the west coast. Once you get near the SF/LA area my understanding from reading is, the problem shifts to possible crowding at superchargers. But they're there! We go to Reno once or twice a year in two days of driving each way; California would cut 6-7 days off your 10-day calendar just for driving (there and back). Unless you're one of those 1,000 miles per day warriors.
- Saskatchewan is still doable, your eastern-most supercharger is Fort MacLeod I believe. In 2018 it's possible that superchargers will open in Swift Current and Regina, but of course that's on Tesla Time(™) so you can't count on it being ready on your dates. So you can get to Swift Current easily, for example, but then you're relegated to a 4-5 hour Level 2 charging wait in the middle of the day once you've driven for 3-4 hours. Superchargers: 30-45 minutes depending on where you go next.

If you have any questions that are better answered verbally, or want to go for coffee give me a call or PM (Jeremey).

Thanks so much - yes, coffee would be nice! I believe the Model 3 LR has a range of 499km. It’d be great to go to SK, as I’ve not been back since I was a teen. Will have to investigate what we could do to kill 5 hours in Swift Current :)

I drive to Saskatoon from Calgary a few times each year in Model S with 400km of range. The route I take is much more direct than Swift Current, charging at Drumheller for brunch and a walk along the river and stop in Kindersley for dinner and a top-op. That would also be the best route between Red Deer and Saskatoon. Drumheller is quite scenic, in the middle of the badlands, and there is a spectacular dinosaur museum.

PlugShare is an excellent resource for EV trip planning. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

When I was in your shoes, I used Google’s MyMaps to save routes and places to give something tangible to my road-trip dreams. Sign in - Google Accounts

• Informative
Reactions: Kira and RedSafari
Is there a trip planner that lets me factor in the public chargers (with the J-1772 ports) + destination charging?

I use PlugShare PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You to find chargers and plan daily driving routes, and then go to Google’s MyMaps to save routes and locations. We used MyMaps for our drive to St John’s from Calgary, and it was a fun way to think about the trip. Canada 150 Vestrum route - Google My Maps We didn’t see everything we saved, but it was a great reference when we needed a coffee.

I drive to Saskatoon from Calgary a few times each year in Model S with 400km of range. The route I take is much more direct than Swift Current, charging at Drumheller for brunch and a walk along the river and stop in Kindersley for dinner and a top-op. That would also be the best route between Red Deer and Saskatoon. Drumheller is quite scenic, in the middle of the badlands, and there is a spectacular dinosaur museum.

This is a great idea, thank you! I was looking at Red Deer to Saskatoon with a stop in Stettler, but Drumheller would be more fun for the kids, I imagine. I remember going there as a child to see the museum. Where is your favourite place for brunch?

This is a great idea, thank you! I was looking at Red Deer to Saskatoon with a stop in Stettler, but Drumheller would be more fun for the kids, I imagine. I remember going there as a child to see the museum. Where is your favourite place for brunch?

We like the Yavis, which is just a few blocks from either charger. Yavis Restaurant – Drumheller Family Restaurant

Interestingly, Drumheller has a "downtown" charger and a charger in the rec-centre parking lot along the river. The river is quite scenic.

Stetler would be a good way to go if the weather is perfect—mild temperatures, tail wind—and you charge to 100% to make the 460-km straight shot to Saskatoon. The detour south gets you Drumheller and Kindersley is along the way for a top up. Kindersley is not the most charming town in the world, but you won't need much of a charge. We walk to the opposite side of town to have a wrap at the Tim Horton's, and, by the time we get back, we have enough charge to make it to Saskatoon.

We are going this Thursday for the weekend. We plan to stay overnight in Drumheller on the way back to break up the drive.

Anyway, happy road-trip dreaming!

• Love
Reactions: Kira
Remember Model 3 does not support Chademo , and no one knows that it will be supported with current hardware. So you need rely on Tesla infrastructure to quick charge. With Model 3 shipment bumps up , I will see supercharge get crowded for those 6-8 stalls location.

I plan drive from Toronto to Ottawa, but only a 8 stall supercharge station in Kingston . It will definitely get crowed, and I will wait that trip until more station opens by end of 2018.

We like the Yavis, which is just a few blocks from either charger. Yavis Restaurant – Drumheller Family Restaurant

Interestingly, Drumheller has a "downtown" charger and a charger in the rec-centre parking lot along the river. The river is quite scenic.

Stetler would be a good way to go if the weather is perfect—mild temperatures, tail wind—and you charge to 100% to make the 460-km straight shot to Saskatoon. The detour south gets you Drumheller and Kindersley is along the way for a top up. Kindersley is not the most charming town in the world, but you won't need much of a charge. We walk to the opposite side of town to have a wrap at the Tim Horton's, and, by the time we get back, we have enough charge to make it to Saskatoon.

We are going this Thursday for the weekend. We plan to stay overnight in Drumheller on the way back to break up the drive.

Anyway, happy road-trip dreaming!
Alberta Prairie Railway - Alberta Steam Train Tourist Attraction

• Helpful
Reactions: Nappe and Kira
I am planning to go from Vancouver to Regina, SK this summer. The stretch from Alberta to Regina seems daunting. What are folks recommendations/experience there? I have a Model X 100D.

Thanks,
Wade
In my case, my plans are to wait for Tesla superchargers. We travelled from Victoria to California to Yellowstone to New York/DC to Winnipeg and back home in 2014. Travel with superchargers was sublime. Travel between Winnipeg and home (without superchargers) is something my wife will not do again, because of the 4-5 hour Level 2 charging wait using 90A or 100A Sun Country stations during the middle of the day.

However, it's still possible and not the end of the world. You'll destination charge at night, have a good 3-4 hours drive in the morning, a 4-5 hour wait during lunch, and another 3-4 hours of driving in the afternoon. If you want to fit in another 4 hour wait, you could even drive late into the night to get to your next 90% or 100% destination charge. Make sure you're heading for a Sun Country L2 charger that is 90A or 100A -- if you end up at a 30A charger at noon you'll be there the rest of the day and into the night.

I am planning to go from Vancouver to Regina, SK this summer. The stretch from Alberta to Regina seems daunting. What are folks recommendations/experience there? I have a Model X 100D.

Thanks,
Wade

CrossIron Mills SuperCharger in Calgary - supper and top up to 100%.
Overnight at Hampton Inns and Suites in Medicine Hat, AB. 80A Tesla charger.
Drive slowly to conserve charge from Medicine Hat to Regina. Grab a lunch and a few electrons at a 70/80A charger in Moose Jaw and/or Swift Current. 465km stretch so pretty much the full range of your X100D. You probably won't need too long of a charge on the way for an insurance bump up in your battery range.

Reactions: Nappe and mrElbe
F08AF7B3-9D1B-40BA-BB31-518D3ED8E764.jpeg
1A636B27-54E4-499F-96A0-22AC6D969321.jpeg
D2A8B59B-15E1-4415-A2BF-ECA66C2E9F48.jpeg
90A5843C-492D-4AEA-8858-0D5FB75F8EFF.jpeg
3EFFFB23-8044-486E-A4B3-7A1AF5DF4003.jpeg
Before I forget, I’d better post my notes about going from Halifax NS to just outside Montreal PQ.

First stop was a DCFC in Dieppe NB
Second was another DCFC near Kings Landing
Third was an overnight stay at the Best Westin in Edmunston
Fourth was the supercharger in Levi’s PQ
Now I’m at the Lion D’Or in Orford, just outside of Montreal, where they have a coin operated J1772 charger. -.-

This trip takes roughly 16 hours to do assuming you’re not in a hurry. You CAN do it in one day, but I don’t recommend that.
I spaced my charging at about 250 - 300 km intervals, and I still had 35 - 40% of my 100 kWh battery left at each stop. I had to push my speed to 110km/h to keep with the flow of traffic, and I had my A/C on the whole trip. Using these numbers, a 100 kWh Tesla can easily make 400 - 500 km per charge, but I suggest keeping to 400 km per stage to give adaquite wiggle room should something go wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Is there a way I can go from Toronto to Halifax without CHAdeMO charging? The Model X/S adaptor does not work with the Model 3.
Supercharge to Quality Inn Grand Falls, charge overnight. Add an overnight between Montreal and Quebec City to make it a three day trip. Charge for a few hours in Moncton in the middle of the last day (Moncton Supercharger will probably open soon according to the FinUs map).
Use EVTO so try it out:
You will need the ID [iuc9earmadqdvmw8k5ajdh] and the PIN [1111] in order to Import the trip on the EVTO Trips menu.

Is there a way I can go from Toronto to Halifax without CHAdeMO charging? The Model X/S adaptor does not work with the Model 3.
Did it several times when the last Supercharger was in Drummondville, Quebec. If you Supercharge to maximum in Riviére du Loup (the farthest eastern Supercharger) you can get to Fredericton easily and stay overnight to charge at the Amsterdam Inn or the Crown Plaza downtown (I have stayed in both as well as the Quality Inn Grand Falls, as Gwgan suggested) and leave with a full charge in the morning. The farther you go east to sleep over, the less you need to stop and charge the next day, so I would always push it and drive until 11 or 12 pm to do that. But then I was driving alone, so it made it easier. From Fredericton you only need a stop over for lunch, which you would need to do anyway, at a Level 2 charger along the way to make it to Halifax. Look them up on PlugShare, there are lots of them along the way from Moncton to Truro (but after Truro the only one is at the Halifax Airport in the paid parking lot, so don’t wait that long to charge.