Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Canadian Trip Planning

RedSafari

Mar 28, 2018
Toronto
All went better than expected. Winnipeg to Regina was 90km/h all the way. One 3 hour stop in Carberry, MB and a brief top up in Whitewood where we saw a local Model S :D

Lon12

Oct 12, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
I drove with a friend of mine from Calgary to Vancouver and back in his Bolt this fall. Here are some of the power usage numbers compared to my Model S. The S numbers are from a run I did in the summer and driving faster than in the Bolt. Total one way trip time in the S was 12 hours. I think we were well over 14 hours in the Bolt. There were a few legs where we had to be stingy with the cabin heat in the Bolt just because there is not much reserve unless you spend extra time charging to 100%.

Model S / Bolt
Calgary->Golden 54 / 51 kWh
Golden->Revelstoke 27.5 / 25
Revelstoke->Kamloops 40.7 / 35
Kamloops->Hope 42.5 / 35

Hope->Merritt 31.2 / 29.8
Merritt->Kamloops 18 / 17.1
Kamloops->Revelstoke 40.3 / 35.6
Revelstoke-> Golden 28.4 / 31.9
Golden->Calgary 48.3 / 45.8

The fast DC chargers worked well but with only one available at each stop we were lucky to be the only ones using them.

Phillip L

Gas Passer
Mar 31, 2015
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Was wondering about a trip from Southern Ontario to Calgary next June. Looks like no problem to Butte, Montana or even to the Tesla Chargers in Helena, Montana. But looks like there is only one J772 between there and Lethbridge, Alberta in Great Falls, Montana. Do any people have experience driving from Calgary south into the US?

rainforest

Aug 21, 2016
Canada
I'm thinking of driving my Model X to Vancouver Island for the first time. Does anybody know if the Falcon Wing Doors can open on the Nanaimo and Schwartz Bay ferries? I'm afraid the ferry ceiling will be too low, or that the doors will hit a pipe. Please post any experiences.

Ledge

Apr 3, 2018
Canada
I'm thinking of driving my Model X to Vancouver Island for the first time. Does anybody know if the Falcon Wing Doors can open on the Nanaimo and Schwartz Bay ferries? I'm afraid the ferry ceiling will be too low, or that the doors will hit a pipe. Please post any experiences.

IIRC, the lowest clearances on the car decks is ~7ft. If that is too low for you to open the doors, you can specify when you reserve a crossing in advance on the website that you need clearance >7ft and they will put you on one of the decks with the RV's and buses. It costs the same, you just need to select it when booking.

• Informative
Reactions: rainforest

SMSMD

Dec 2, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Have been on Schwartz bay ferry there was no problem in opening the FWD. I was on the regular
Deck and not with RV's.
Avoid parking if you see anything low ceiling. I was early to board and chose to park in a safe spot.

rainforest

Aug 21, 2016
Canada
@ rainforest I remember that the cars are parked pretty close and the FWD may not open fully anyways. I was early and parked in a spot where one of my FWD opened enough to get out.

But when you get on the ferry, you can’t pick and choose which spot you want to park at. So how were you able to select your parking spot?

SMSMD

Dec 2, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
But when you get on the ferry, you can’t pick and choose which spot you want to park at. So how were you able to select your parking spot?
You are right., can't pick and choose.
I requested the the person who guides you were to park, the spot I preferred, and they obliged. Could open up one door enough for the kids to get out.
Enjoy your trip don't worry about low ceiling of the ferry . You will figure it out. There have been many model X's on those ferries.

rainforest

Aug 21, 2016
Canada
You are right., can't pick and choose.
I requested the the person who guides you were to park, the spot I preferred, and they obliged. Could open up one door enough for the kids to get out.
Enjoy your trip don't worry about low ceiling of the ferry . You will figure it out. There have been many model X's on those ferries.

Just don’t want to hit the ceiling and regret it for the whole trip.

rainforest

Aug 21, 2016
Canada
IIRC, the lowest clearances on the car decks is ~7ft. If that is too low for you to open the doors, you can specify when you reserve a crossing in advance on the website that you need clearance >7ft and they will put you on one of the decks with the RV's and buses. It costs the same, you just need to select it when booking.

I just went on the site, and you are exactly correct. Thank you! I will book over 7ft just so I can relax.

Amandeep

Jun 29, 2018
Ontario, Canada
As this is a Canadian Trip planning site, has anyone have recommendations for Trip from Toronto to PEI in coming summer? This is going to be our first long distance trip in our new Model 3 LR AWD.
Planning to be travelling for max 2 weeks with two kids (8 & 2 year olds).
would luv to know from friends who has already undertaken this trip and would like to share their experience?
thanks in advance

VistaM3B

May 8, 2018
Ottawa
As this is a Canadian Trip planning site, has anyone have recommendations for Trip from Toronto to PEI in coming summer? This is going to be our first long distance trip in our new Model 3 LR AWD.
Planning to be travelling for max 2 weeks with two kids (8 & 2 year olds).
would luv to know from friends who has already undertaken this trip and would like to share their experience?
thanks in advance
I made a trip from Ottawa to PEI going thru US in last August. I had to charge at St.Stephen, 5 kings restaurant for free 1.5 hrs 48A. and 3 super charging at Magog, Bangor and Aulac 50 Min each. In PEI I used 110v plug at the cottage while we were out on the beach in Cavendish.Now the trip is doable thru Canada as well. Tesla just lately opened two more superchargers in New Brunswick.

MarcoRP

Sep 6, 2017
Montréal
It’s still doable without Woodstock, but you might have to limit your speed. It’s not guaranteed Woodstock will be ready by the summer.

duanra

Dec 14, 2018
Montreal
From Montreal : Quebec city, Rivière du Loup, Saint Leonard, Fredericton, Aulac and you have enough to go to PEI.
Make a stop in Shediac, beach is nice and water is warm !:)
Saint Leonard Fredericton is well within your range.
Levy SC is located near a big grocery store and a bunch of other stuff.
Rivière du loup isn't that exciting. No much around. If you want to stop in Drummondville, there is a big mall. Saint Leonard d'Aston, a Saint Hubert a Mc Donald. Fredericton is a big stop. That's all I know...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC