Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Canadian Trip Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just heading out in the morning - Peterborough to Calgary. Just saw the note about the Whistler supercharger (which will come later in our trip). Anything of note between Ontario and Alberta?

Nothing between Ontario to Alberta to note, from my trip through that stretch recently.

I would double check the status of your next planned supercharger location stop prior to leaving your current location though.
Some were temporarily out of order. While they seemed to quickly go back on line, you wouldn’t want to arrive with little charge only to find out it’s still temporarily out of Order.
Have fun. I would also plan to drive through all of northern Ontario during the day.
The scenery is amazing. You’ll miss it, if you drive it at night.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Nothing between Ontario to Alberta to note, from my trip through that stretch recently.

I would double check the status of your next planned supercharger location stop prior to leaving your current location though.
Some were temporarily out of order. While they seemed to quickly go back on line, you wouldn’t want to arrive with little charge only to find out it’s still temporarily out of Order.
Have fun. I would also plan to drive through all of northern Ontario during the day.
The scenery is amazing. You’ll miss it, if you drive it at night.
Avoid the night driving in northern Ontario. Moose collisions cause the drivers death and injure the moose. If you must drive at night, slow it down. moose can step out of the ditch at the last second and you have no time to stop.

I have a model Y on order and am planning on picking it up at the Calgary service center and taking my wife to Jasper for a couple days. My question is can it make the trip from Jasper to Edmonton without having to stop for charging?

I have a model Y on order and am planning on picking it up at the Calgary service center and taking my wife to Jasper for a couple days. My question is can it make the trip from Jasper to Edmonton without having to stop for charging?

Best bet is to use abetterrouteplanner.com, and make sure you hit the "Detailed" button and enter things like expected average temperature, road conditions, relative speed (if you tend to drive over the limit), etc.

Model Y is still relatively new so the data may not be as accurate for it, but it suggests that trip is a bit tight (but possible). You'd need to charge to as close to 100% as you can before departing Jasper (at least 95% would be nice), and take it easy if you want to arrive with minimal added stress.

Reactions: marcham
Best bet is to use abetterrouteplanner.com, and make sure you hit the "Detailed" button and enter things like expected average temperature, road conditions, relative speed (if you tend to drive over the limit), etc.

Model Y is still relatively new so the data may not be as accurate for it, but it suggests that trip is a bit tight (but possible). You'd need to charge to as close to 100% as you can before departing Jasper (at least 95% would be nice), and take it easy if you want to arrive with minimal added stress.

I have been looking at a better route planer and it is tight, leaving Jasper with 100% and driving the speed limit gets me home with an estimated 7% range left, that seems a bit tight to me so I thought that I would ask. I can't wait to have a super charger in Edson to make it a lot less nerve wracking. I guess the other option is to stop for food at Ricky's and charge there for a bit just to reduce the range anxiety. Thanks for your suggestions, I will report back once I have the car and can see what it can actually do.

I have been looking at a better route planer and it is tight, leaving Jasper with 100% and driving the speed limit gets me home with an estimated 7% range left, that seems a bit tight to me so I thought that I would ask. I can't wait to have a super charger in Edson to make it a lot less nerve wracking. I guess the other option is to stop for food at Ricky's and charge there for a bit just to reduce the range anxiety. Thanks for your suggestions, I will report back once I have the car and can see what it can actually do.

I have a model 3 AWD with boost.
I recently drove from Canmore (that’s where you would stop before heading to Jasper), to Jasper.
I also plugged things into ABRP, and it also showed the run as tight.
However, I arrived with way more range than expected. I don’t see why your new Model Y would have any difficulty at all.
Charge to 100% in Canmore, and do the speed limit the entire way, and It will not be tight when you arrive. :)

I believe he was asking about Jasper to Edmonton, which would not go through Canmore at all. There is a significant descent from Jasper to Edmonton, and there is likely to be a tail wind in that direction, which may help slightly, but still tight if it's cold (Edmonton to Jasper is probably not doable at all because of the climb). Apparently Ricky's in Edson has a 16kW destination charger (as well as two 10 kW ones). If it looks like it's going to be tight by the time you get there, 30-45 minutes on that 16kW unit should give you enough of a buffer to make it home.

Reactions: mrElbe
Just got back yesterday. Peterborough to Vancouver and back - 10,000 km added to the odometer. No problems with superchargers.
20200906_175010835_iOS.jpg

And to reply to the previous post - going to Jasper from Edmonton (or Calgary) is a challenge. It can't be done using superchargers. And relying on destination chargers is risky. Just another part of Canada that will "be coming soon". Also the southern route from B.C. to Alberta (using Hwy #3) is also not quite ready for 'prime time'. Lovely part of the country but the superchargers are still spread a little thin. But not complaining. Last years trip to the west coast was 90% via USA. Thanks, Elon for the big improvements. Cross Canada is now 'worry free'.

I did a local trip (out and back) in Manitoba - about 105kph, but there was about a 30k or more headwind. (Aero hubcaps on) Outbound, I would say I used 4k for every 3k travelled. Return, with the wind at my back, was almost exactly 1:1k used. So I don't know about some of your trips here, but planning on using indicated or nominal range and cutting it close isn't necessarily a good idea. Also, if you are in the mountains, you also have to figure in the energy to climb hills.

heading east from Calgary to Toronto in 2 weeks, any superchargers down to note?

Planning on Calgary -16h-> Winnipeg overnight -14k-> Wawa'ish overnight -13h->Toronto

also can anyone think of a destination charging spot near Wawa?

heading east from Calgary to Toronto in 2 weeks, any superchargers down to note?

Planning on Calgary -16h-> Winnipeg overnight -14k-> Wawa'ish overnight -13h->Toronto

also can anyone think of a destination charging spot near Wawa?
Well, there's a 250KW supercharger "IN" Wawa. But really, why are you asking? Surely you can find a supercharger map using google. Plugshare.com has maps of chargers, Tesla ones and others.

Trying to figure out if a road trip from Saskatoon to Dallas is reasonable in November, but the Supercharger network gaps between the TransCanada and the northern US is causing me angst. Anyone have experience breaking through that dead zone in early Winter? I'm sure there are L2 chargers that I could limp through with, but I'm trying to understand how painful that's likely to be.

ABetterRoutePlanner basically says "can't get there from here" or "stop at a Nissan dealer in Grand Forks for a 4 hour charge" depending on what parameters I put into it.

Trying to figure out if a road trip from Saskatoon to Dallas is reasonable in November, but the Supercharger network gaps between the TransCanada and the northern US is causing me angst. Anyone have experience breaking through that dead zone in early Winter? I'm sure there are L2 chargers that I could limp through with, but I'm trying to understand how painful that's likely to be.

ABetterRoutePlanner basically says "can't get there from here" or "stop at a Nissan dealer in Grand Forks for a 4 hour charge" depending on what parameters I put into it.
If you look at supercharge.info you'll see going to Winnipeg then down into US to Texas, will be very doable soon, long before your November trip. :) . Even if Pembina ND isn't ready, the SC in Grand Forks is under construction and you should make it from Winnipeg to Grand Forks if you leave Winnipeg on a full charge and take it easy on the speed and heat 😉 .

Last edited:
If you look at supercharge.info you'll see going to Winnipeg then down into US to Texas, will be very doable soon, long before your November trip. :) . Even if Pembina ND isn't ready, the SC in Grand Forks is under construction and you should make it from Winnipeg to Grand Forks if you leave Winnipeg on a full charge and take it easy on the speed and heat 😉 .
Thanks, I'd seen that it was "coming Q3" but didn't realize it was actually under construction already. I tend to not put a lot of stock in things that are "coming soon." At one point there was supposed to be a SC in Saskatoon before the end of 2020 after all :)

Thanks, I'd seen that it was "coming Q3" but didn't realize it was actually under construction already. I tend to not put a lot of stock in things that are "coming soon." At one point there was supposed to be a SC in Saskatoon before the end of 2020 after all :)
Agreed, the Tesla web site “coming soon” is rarely right in the end…. Measured in “Elon time” 😜. I use supercharge.info , it’s crowd sourced but really reliable.

Construction in Grand Forks appears to have started in the last week or so. Once they start, progress is usually pretty fast.

If you have or can borrow the ChaDEMO charger adapter, even better. But it looks like the route will work shortly from Winnipeg.
I've considered that there's A J1772 at the Tim Hortons in Morris, MB - so stop for breakfast and in half an hour add a 30km cushion.

If things are very tight, Grafton is a few km west of the interstate and has a CCS/ChaDEMO charger. It's 80km from the border to Grafton, 125km from the border to Grand Forks. Grafton is 15 km west of the Interstate. So if you're halfway from the border to GF and don't think you'll make it, Grafton is an option. They also have J1772 chargers.

There's also a CCS/ChaDEMO charger in Milk River, 200km from Great Falls MT and a25km from Ft. McLeod,AB. Theoretically south from Calgary to the interstates is do-able.

Plugshare.com is your friend. (It also has check-in notes from previous users to give you an idea what you may find)

I must emphasize I have not tried these routes in real life, so who knows? But people regularly post here who have done some fairly amazing trips, and I have yet to hear of someone stranded and needing a tow. (I wonder how often it happens?) Worst case have your 110V adapter for the portable charger and assorted 240V adapters - worth the peace of mind for now...

Just got home from a three day trip to Jasper where we took the Model Y on it's first long road trip. It handled the drive with no issues, and range was never an issue. We probably could have the drive from Edmonton to Jasper with out having to stop for a quick charge at Ricky's if we hand not had some unexpected city driving before we left Edmonton. I will say that I would not want to try to get to Edson in the winter without a Supercharger to top up the car, we arrived in Edson with just under 50% charge and that would be closer to zero with the heat on, maybe we should ask Tesla to look at installing a supercharger at Evensburg/Entwistle to allow for more margin of error in the winter.

For the return trip we decided to take the long way home through Banff and Calgary. The car handled Hwy 93 (Jasper Banff park way) without issue, however, the lack of a spare tire had me a bit concerned. I will be looking into getting one before the next road trip into non cell served areas.

On our way though Edson I had a quick look at the proposed site for the Supercharger, and did not see any work happening yet.

In Jasper it looked like there was utility work happening along Conaught drive from the North end of town to just South of the parking lot that the superchargers are to be installed in, not sure if this is related to the Supercharges but it looks promising.

• Informative