Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Canadian Trip Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For us, buying gas in the states is anything but easy. Try to pay at the pump and the strictly numeric keypad wants you to enter your zip code to verify the credit or debit card is really yours. I asked two Canadian banks if they had a solution and got nowhere (one claimed entering zero five times would work. It didn't.)

So you have to go inside, wait on a long line, and leave a deposit. Then you either end up not completely filling up, or having to wait on line again to get a refund. All the while inhaling fumes and dodging oil spots.
You're not alone -- several Canadian gas pumps hated my American credit card when I went on a road trip last year. I had to go through the same drill you described. Why can't Visa get its act together on this? Sheesh!

You're not alone -- several Canadian gas pumps hated my American credit card when I went on a road trip last year. I had to go through the same drill you described. Why can't Visa get its act together on this? Sheesh!

If your postal Code is A1B 2C3 you just enter 12300 and it works. You basically take the numerals from your Postal Code and add two zeros to the end and punch that in. Works every time for me in the US.

As far as US credit cards in Canada goes, I'm surprised they won't work because we generally don't need to do anything other than swipe the card here.

That's the first I've heard about entering a postal code that way. Astounding! Too bad I don't need to try that any more :cool:

As for standardizing cables and connectors, that seems a problem more onerous than standardizing credit cards. If Tesla's SCh cables are capable of delivering up to 135 kW, are they capable of delivering down to 4 kW? (A Volt can't accept more than about 5.)

As for standardizing cables and connectors, that seems a problem more onerous than standardizing credit cards. If Tesla's SCh cables are capable of delivering up to 135 kW, are they capable of delivering down to 4 kW? (A Volt can't accept more than about 5.)

Sure. The car controls how much current flows, not the station. For instance, I can plug in to an 80 amp HPWC and dial my car down to 15 amps (the level that a Volt uses) and it will charge just fine at 15 amps. While it's the same connector, a SCh is a different protocol, so I would guess a Volt with a hypothetical Tesla connector would just ignore it, unless it was set up for Level 3 charging in which case it would have to be able to communicate it's needs.

If your postal Code is A1B 2C3 you just enter 12300 and it works. You basically take the numerals from your Postal Code and add two zeros to the end and punch that in. Works every time for me in the US.
I'm tempted to drive an ICE to Seattle just to try that... as Riverbrick noted, the method wasn't exactly secure. The last time I did it, they held onto my credit card, rather than charge and refund... or even pre-authorize to an amount. Given the security concern of leaving your card with some kid making minimum wage, I didn't feel too good about that.

Next time, if there is a next time... :cool:

As far as US credit cards in Canada goes, I'm surprised they won't work because we generally don't need to do anything other than swipe the card here.
I think the issue was that my cards only have magnetic stripes and no chips. Most of the pumps are fine -- it's only a few of them that seem to be fussy.

For us, buying gas in the states is anything but easy. Try to pay at the pump and the strictly numeric keypad wants you to enter your zip code to verify the credit or debit card is really yours. I asked two Canadian banks if they had a solution and got nowhere (one claimed entering zero five times would work. It didn't.)

So you have to go inside, wait on a long line, and leave a deposit. Then you either end up not completely filling up, or having to wait on line again to get a refund. All the while inhaling fumes and dodging oil spots.

For the U.S. Zip code issue, take the 3 digits from your postal code and add two 00's. That's never failed me. (Ie. L5K 2N8 becomes 52800).

Sorry, on Tapatalk and didn't see mknox's previous post to the same effect.

I think the issue was that my cards only have magnetic stripes and no chips. Most of the pumps are fine -- it's only a few of them that seem to be fussy.

I noticed that Chip Readers are showing up on Canadian pumps when I went to fill my wife's ICE. The one at my local station had the mag stripe reader and the PIN reader. I used the mag stripe reader to swipe my loyalty card and had just assumed it would work for non-chip credit cards. Canadian cards have the chip and the mag strip and if you swipe it, the machine will say that you have to insert into the chip reader.

I think some pumps have the NFC tap functionality as well which is even quicker but I must admit that I am becoming ignorant about how gas stations work - and that is a beautiful thing!

I am getting a bit OT, but driving a Tesla can screw you up when you drive a rental ICE. A few times I have forgotten to turn off the car.

.....but driving a Tesla can screw you up when you drive a rental ICE. A few times I have forgotten to turn off the car.
Did that a few times with my BMW. I had to remember that Push Button Start also requires Push Button Stop.

On the gas issue , not having gone to a gas station in some time, I was driving a company truck and had to fill up. All our trucks are diesel except the one I was driving I found out. Good thing I was told before I had to fill up but the confusion started anyways when the fill cap was yellow (diesel jerry cans are generally yellow). The yellow fill cap had markings E85 gasoline however, so when I got to the pump I had no idea if it required regular, extra(bronze) or premium(gold).

At least electrons are electrons..... right ?

I am getting a bit OT, but driving a Tesla can screw you up when you drive a rental ICE. A few times I have forgotten to turn off the car.

I've heard this a few times, but honestly it's never happened to me. In fact, even after 2.5 years of almost exclusive Model S driving, I still find myself reaching up to the steering column where an ignition key would be from time to time, then going "Oh yeah, I don't have to do that".

One thing I have done a number of times is activate the wipers in my wife's ICE trying to put it in gear!

I've heard this a few times, but honestly it's never happened to me. In fact, even after 2.5 years of almost exclusive Model S driving, I still find myself reaching up to the steering column where an ignition key would be from time to time, then going "Oh yeah, I don't have to do that".
For the five years previous to my Model S I drove a Lexus with a pushbutton ignition so I guess turning a key is something I haven't done very often in a while. I have had my licence for 34 years but it hasn't taken me too long to switch over to the new Tesla world order.

For the five years previous to my Model S I drove a Lexus with a pushbutton ignition so I guess turning a key is something I haven't done very often in a while.

For some reason, I've never gotten completely comfortable with "just walking away from the car" and trusting that all will be fine. I will even use the fob to lock it manually. My last car could be configured to flash lights and/or chirp the horn when it auto locked. I liked that. As I walked away, the little chirp gave me confidence that all was well. If I didn't hear it, I'd turn around and usually find a door ajar or not completely closed. With the Tesla, I'd have to walk away backwards to see the lights flash as it locks. If I didn't lock it manually, I'd worry that it didn't lock, that I hadn't completely closed a door etc. Maybe I'm just paranoid!

With the Tesla, I'd have to walk away backwards to see the lights flash as it locks. If I didn't lock it manually, I'd worry that it didn't lock, that I hadn't completely closed a door etc. Maybe I'm just paranoid!

That makes two of us then! We parked in a lot yesterday when visiting the Niagara Falls Water Park and I checked as I walked away and realized my wife had left her purse in the car (with her fob), so the auto-locking didn't engage. I had to manually lock it and checked the doors just to make sure.

I've had the same issue Wayne...we had 3 Lexus Hybrid SUV / cars before getting our Model S...

For the five years previous to my Model S I drove a Lexus with a pushbutton ignition so I guess turning a key is something I haven't done very often in a while. I have had my licence for 34 years but it hasn't taken me too long to switch over to the new Tesla world order.

I've had the same issue Wayne...we had 3 Lexus Hybrid SUV / cars before getting our Model S...
What's your nearest Lexus dealer? Do you have to go to Oakville?

I have a bit of a funny Lexus story. Several years ago my RX350h died approaching the Burlington Skyway bridge from Niagara side (other than this one time my Lexus hybrids have been very reliable). So I call Lexus roadside assistance - they send a tow truck but the tow truck refuses to take my daughter and I since she is in a child seat as she was about 1 or 2 at the time. So the tow truck takes my car to Oakville Lexus - this is on a Sunday. On Monday morning I call Lexus and they say that the problem is with the hybrid battery system but their only qualified hybrid mechanic is on LT disability and won't be back for months. I say no big deal, just tow it to a Toronto dealer, ideally Lexus on the Park and have them do it. They say sure but you have to pay for the towing. I say WTF? - Lexus pays since Roadside assistance decided to take my car to Oakville and it is their problem that a Lexus dealer can't fix one of their own vehicles. After a few days of this back and forth they finally do tow it to Lexus on the Park (which may have still been Scarborough Lexus at the time) at their cost.