Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Canadian Trip Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow - I love this forum!

But if rkm is 276, that only leave me with a buffer of about 40km (100% charge is 320km). Yes, I will be going in summer, but maybe I better charge at the Sicamous visitor centre as you suggest. (I don't have dual chargers though).

In terms of speed, you're telling me that going slightly above 100km/hr doesn't make much difference from 90km/hr? Then I would rather go at the higher speed.
Yeah, 40km buffer in the mountains when you haven't done the route yet isn't the most confidence-inspiring situation. You should go to evtripplanner.com yourself and do the route for your X, that may give you different (better? worse?) numbers. The first trip is always the "most interesting", then you'll get a hang of the car's travel capabilities.

We've taken multiple US trips on interstates and I don't see a significant difference between 65 and 73, but I don't record all the numbers to the 7th decimal place either. And there's the physics aspect of wind resistance that is truth no matter what my feelings are. So don't trust me!! But I agree I like the faster speed. At least you should be no-holds-barred for all the other legs.

My 70km/hr charging from the 90A at Sicamous was unfortunately based on dual 40A internal chargers but I guess you only have the 48A single in the X, I forgot about that. If you were planning on a straight shot to Calgary, yeah that will make things somewhat slower. We generally stop in Revelstoke overnight, but then we're calculating leaving from Tsawassen after the first ferry docks -- you have much better time options.

If you haven't charged to 100% yet, that last 10% (from 90%) takes like a half hour. On our 85 it's 30-40 minutes to 90, then nearly all that again to 100. Just sayin', just in case.

Yeah, 40km buffer in the mountains when you haven't done the route yet isn't the most confidence-inspiring situation. You should go to evtripplanner.com yourself and do the route for your X, that may give you different (better? worse?) numbers. The first trip is always the "most interesting", then you'll get a hang of the car's travel capabilities.

We've taken multiple US trips on interstates and I don't see a significant difference between 65 and 73, but I don't record all the numbers to the 7th decimal place either. And there's the physics aspect of wind resistance that is truth no matter what my feelings are. So don't trust me!! But I agree I like the faster speed. At least you should be no-holds-barred for all the other legs.

My 70km/hr charging from the 90A at Sicamous was unfortunately based on dual 40A internal chargers but I guess you only have the 48A single in the X, I forgot about that. If you were planning on a straight shot to Calgary, yeah that will make things somewhat slower. We generally stop in Revelstoke overnight, but then we're calculating leaving from Tsawassen after the first ferry docks -- you have much better time options.

If you haven't charged to 100% yet, that last 10% (from 90%) takes like a half hour. On our 85 it's 30-40 minutes to 90, then nearly all that again to 100. Just sayin', just in case.

Luckily, I've heard that my software limited 60 charges at full speed all the way to 100% because I'm not really charging the top of the pack.

How did you make out? I'll be looking at a round trip to Ottawa later this spring. Any sign of a SC being put somewhere in Ottawa or is it strictly going to be destination chargers?
I made it easily from Ottawa to Port Hope in the summer but I drove conservatively. Destination charging is the only option in Ottawa -Brookstreet hotel is in Kanata and I understand several L3 options are possible also around town. Ikea has both L2 and L3 chargers but you need a special adapter for the L3.

In terms of speed, you're telling me that going slightly above 100km/hr doesn't make much difference from 90km/hr? Then I would rather go at the higher speed.

No, it makes a significant difference. Going 100 instead of 90 reduces your range by about 50 km.

I would start out conservatively, and if the Energy App is showing that you will arrive with lots of spare energy, then I would speed up.

No, it makes a significant difference. Going 100 instead of 90 reduces your range by about 50 km.

I would start out conservatively, and if the Energy App is showing that you will arrive with lots of spare energy, then I would speed up.

However if you get behind a transport, you dont even have to tailgate like the hardcore folks do, you will get 90km performance at 100km the truck is doing. (2 car lengths back)

[QUOTE="Got it! But 90km/hr is pretty slow for a highway. Maybe it's a narrow highway."[/QUOTE]

I have driven from Kanata (West end of Ottawa) all the way to the Lawrence St. Service center in Toronto in the Summer (before Kingston and Port Hope opened). Driving to Port Hope is quite doable.

I certainly agree with taking Hwy 7. Traveling at about 95 km/hr is quite reasonable on Hwy 7. I usually use cruise control and it seems to be a little more efficient since my mind wanders and I find myself going slower or faster otherwise. However, 95 km/hr isn't so great on the 401! I typically speed up to about 105-110 km/hr on the 401.I have drafted trucks before but certainly more than 1 or 2 car lengths behind. I once had another truck driver get mad at me for drafting a truck so I haven't done it in a while.

I like to monitor my projected range on the consumption chart and compare with the distance to the supercharger per the navigation system. The navigation system will tell you to take Hwy 416 to the 401 but that is a much longer route and I wouldn't recommend it. You can tell the system to take you to Kaladar and change your destination to Port Hope after you are well on your way. My goal is to plan on having a 50 km buffer until I get close to my destination. With the cruise control (I only have speed cruise control), I can increase or decrease my speed until I get the consumption I am happy with.

Reactions: mrElbe
I supercharged for the first time today, and the speed was 350km/hr. Is this a normal speed, slow, or fast? I thought it would be faster.
If you weren't overly discharged, this is reasonable. I find, however, that it's more informative to watch the kW number rather than the km/hr speed. As far as I can see, the speed number is an average over the entire charge, whereas the kW number is an instantaneous value. I've seen 625 km/hr when I've pulled in almost discharged and don't have anyone charging next to me... but that was a peak number after the initial ramp-up of power was averaged out... and it dropped as the battery pack filled and the charge rate tapered down.