Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Canadian Trip Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got home from a three day trip to Jasper where we took the Model Y on it's first long road trip. It handled the drive with no issues, and range was never an issue ... I will say that I would not want to try to get to Edson in the winter without a Supercharger to top up the car, we arrived in Edson with just under 50% charge and that would be closer to zero with the heat on ...
I do lots of ski trips in the winter. Roof box on, loaded with skis and other gear. Trunk and frunk full. Family of four in the car (Model 3 LR RWD). Driven as above in some of Alberta’s worst blizzards. Done the trip in -27C. Haven’t ever seen 50% range loss on the trips. Running errands in the city, yes, but never on a long road trip with a pre-warmed battery. Loaded as above, worst I recall was a bit less than 40% loss. I tend to keep it 5km/h over the posted speed limit until I’m sure I’m going to make it when driving in those conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Planning a potential(Border restrictions lifted) Calgary to Chicago drive in Mid-August in a MYP with two dogs (Kyle Connor/Out of Spec style), sure hope the Grand Forks Supercharger is up and running. I do not want to stop in Nowhere-ville, North Dakota for a CHAdeMO session if I can help it. Seriously considering downsizing the Uberturbine's as they would be a nightmare on a long trip and to eek out some more range.

Just completed Vancouver to Niagara Falls and return road trip with the family. The rest of the country was slowly opening up and it was nice to explore al the places we just normally "fly over" when visiting eastern Canada. We just had one issue with the car, driver's side door handle broke the first day out, we endured with using an old credit card to pry open the handle each side.
Despite the COVID precautions, it was a good time to travel, we lucked out on the quieter traffic, fewer tourists in Niagara Falls, and an ease of booking rooms last minute.
We used our 2015 Model S 85D because it had free charging and has a smoother ride than my wife new MY (did not want it full of rock chips and bugs so early).
Here are some quick notes and observations:
1. Once you are east of Calgary, all the way to Barrie, we only ever saw ONE car at a supercharger. There are not a lot of Teslas on the road once you leave BC.
2. People travel 20km/h plus over the posted limit in Ontario making the auto pilot non-usable there. My AP1 only allows 10KM/h over the posted limit.
3. We left the day of the heat wave in BC and my tire pressure would go from a resting PSI of 46 at the coolest to 54 while the heat was 39C outside. I was a little concerned, but we had no tire issues.
4. We tried to use hotel destination chargers where we could find them, it allowed me to start with a few 420km range and skip the first charge normally planned that day. My 85kw pack has a slow charging speed, but the time estimate to depart was pretty accurate, maybe add 5 minutes for good measure.
5. Range estimates were pretty good to the next charge. We would generally do about 700km per day. Sometimes I could better my estimates. We did lose 6% east bound through the Prairies due to the winds on one segment. My car really is usable up to 60%, then the charge rate slows down painfully. This was okay as we planned meal stops during these longer charges.
We had an amazing time. We really like the character of the places we stopped. I wish we could have seen more, but that would be another trip. I did all the driving, the car is great for long trips.

My wife and I are hoping to head to PEI and NS from Maine in a few weeks and I am a little surprised by the limited charging options. I also noticed Tesla lists Charlottesville PEI as a Q3 2021 location but there's no talk about it here on this site or Supercharge.info. Has anyone seen any scratching around out there that look like a Supercharger build?
Nothing is showing at last check.

We recently took a trip from Niagara Falls to PEI in our model 3 SR+. there isn't a supercharger on PEI yet, but there are a few destination chargers. We plugged in at Anne of green gables and Charlottetown.
Next week are heading to Grand Manan Island and just booked a campsite so we can charge up overnight. I see plenty of potential SC coming to the east coast by next year.

Reactions: Vawlkus and Tz00
We recently took a trip from Niagara Falls to PEI in our model 3 SR+. there isn't a supercharger on PEI yet, but there are a few destination chargers. We plugged in at Anne of green gables and Charlottetown.
Next week are heading to Grand Manan Island and just booked a campsite so we can charge up overnight. I see plenty of potential SC coming to the east coast by next year.
PEI is under construction, but they’ve only just started, so it’ll be a few months before it will go online.

Just to be sure...

As of mid 2022, do I need any kind of non-US adaptor to travel to Canada from the US?

Potential charging locations include superchargers, of course, hotels, campgrounds, and anywhere else that might have charging.

I have the J 1772 adaptor that came with the car and two campground adaptors that I purchased: Nema 14-50 and TT-30.

I know I can't take bear spray, pepper spray, firearms or fresh fruit.

Anything else I should know? Thinking of driving up there for a quick spontaneous trip and I've only been there once years ago.

Just to be sure...

As of mid 2022, do I need any kind of non-US adaptor to travel to Canada from the US?

Potential charging locations include superchargers, of course, hotels, campgrounds, and anywhere else that might have charging.

I have the J 1772 adaptor that came with the car and two campground adaptors that I purchased: Nema 14-50 and TT-30.

Anything else I should know? Thinking of driving up there for a quick spontaneous trip and I've only been there once years ago.
The adaptors you mention should be adequate. It depends where you're going. There are enough superchargers along the Trans-Canada highway and south of it, but many fewer far north of it.

One more thing you must have: the ArriveCan app for reporting your Covid status as you cross the border. The download to your phone is straightforward, and you must complete the questionaire it produces within 3 days before crossing the border.

Just to be sure...

Worthwhile to get a chademo adapter. Also the
Milepost if you're doing BC, Yukon or Northwest Territories

Just to be sure...

Plugshare does a good job showing charging locations. As long as you stay on major routes then you should be pretty good with Superchargers. If you go to remote areas you will have to be careful.
Also don't bring beer - we have better stuff in Canada that isn't like making love in a canoe.

I mentioned purchasing Milepost. It's great to show you where most of the RV parks are, and their service. However, not all RV parks are listed. They pay a fee to be included. Nonetheless, i wouldn't make the trip without it.

By the way, what's your general route?

Guy Hall
First EV Driver to go from Vancouver to Fairbanks.

Thank you all for all the replies. The Chademo seems expensive. I wonder if it's essential? Also, I drive a model Y, and I saw this on the Tesla page:

The Model S and Model X CHAdeMO Adapter is not currently supported by Model 3 and Model Y.

I'm on the West Coast. I thought I'd just drive north via I-5 and cross the border. So British Columbia, mostly to do a bit of (easy) day hikes among old growth and waterfalls there. I've also thought for years of going to Banff. I thought I'd just make a quick trip up without a ton of planning. I'll have my camping gear. I don't know if I feel safe camping in Grizzly country, though.