Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian turn signals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I truly don't get the rational of red turn signals. Maybe it saves a couple of bucks for the manufacturer, but the end result is confusing. When I drive in a fast lane for example, with other lane going slow, if someone has an amber light I know they are trying to merge. Red light I just ignore since everyone in the slow lane is braking so I can't tell the difference at a glance.

• Helpful
Reactions: David.85D
Amber / Yellow rear blinkers / turn signals | Tesla

Euro-style Taillight Retrofit | Tesla

euspec1-png.229741

I hate the damn amber rear turn signals. I think the lights on my S look and work great. My new X comes in shortly and I really don't like how they've done the tail lights. Little red slits for brake and amber slits for turn signals set outside of the trademark Tesla ring light. Plus, for some obscure reason, Tesla turns off the red brake light on the one side where an amber turn signal is flashing.

Plus, for some obscure reason, Tesla turns off the red brake light on the one side where an amber turn signal is flashing.
Probably the same reason why they dim the DRL on the front when the turn signal is on. But they don't dim the headlight when the blinker is on - no rhyme or reason, so sounds like government regulation (which usually consists of a conglomeration of compromises).

My understanding is that the red turn blinkers are due to rules about percentage brake light versus turn light. You can’t include the portion of the lights that are on the trunk, because you have to meet the rules with the trunk open.

The rules are different in Europe.

Probably the same reason why they dim the DRL on the front when the turn signal is on.

Yes, it appears to be doing that for the same reason, but I've never heard of it being required on the back of the vehicle. Can anyone think of any other car on the market that turns the red brake light off when the yellow turn signal is flashing?

My understanding is that the red turn blinkers are due to rules about percentage brake light versus turn light. You can’t include the portion of the lights that are on the trunk, because you have to meet the rules with the trunk open.

The ring of running lights encompasses both the fixed body and movable hatch section, but the complete brake and complete turn signal lights are on the fixed body portion of the vehicle on the X.