Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Winter Improvement Feedback for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's make a list of simple improvements that are not documented (ice window open issue), and share with Tesla. These could be done with a software upgrade

Not sure if these are Model3 specific, but here are mine:
1) Automatic Intermittent Wiper - Can we have an adjustment for sensitivity? Wipers are not sensitive enough, end up using manual mode most of the time
2) Heated Seats - Can we have a setting that automatically enables seat heaters based on seat occupancy? Allow me to have a default setting for each seat only enabled when occupant is present
3) Winter Range Mode - Have a single button available when temps are below 0 that will maximize range and reduce various forms of drain to enhance range on extended trips
4) Cabin pre-heat: Include heated seats

Feedback? More ideas

Passenger profile would be great. I play volleyball and would love the passenger side seat in certain positions at the push of a button depending on what I have in my hands!

Passenger profile would be great. In our cars, if there is a passenger its usually the spouse who isn't driving at the time. It would be much more convenient if there could be a passenger seat profile to accommodate the known passenger without manual readjustment each time.

I would like a way to warm the battery more then it is letting us right now. On a supercharging road trip I want to minimize my time at each stop. The range mode on the S let us do that. As long as your not range limited it would be nice to use the extra power so that we could get the full 120 kW from the superchargers. I'm tempted to try insulating the bottom of the pack.

Let's make a list of simple improvements that are not documented (ice window open issue), and share with Tesla. These could be done with a software upgrade

1) Automatic Intermittent Wiper - Can we have an adjustment for sensitivity? Wipers are not sensitive enough, end up using manual mode most of the time
2) Heated Seats - Can we have a setting that automatically enables seat heaters based on seat occupancy? Allow me to have a default setting for each seat only enabled when occupant is present
3) Winter Range Mode - Have a single button available when temps are below 0 that will maximize range and reduce various forms of drain to enhance range on extended trips

Feedback? More ideas
I agree with all points. Would also love to have an ability to create a type of daily scheduler to turn on pre-heat functions at a set time. For example if you typically leave for work at 6:30am, have the preheat functions turn on 30 minutes or an hour before. Would be useful in the cold winter months.

Reactions: PJFW8 and RAM_Eh
Auto wipers are trash in the model 3. Strange that they spent the money to put in a light sensor.. but cheaped out the the light/ moisture sensor combo.

Tesla's vision software is great and all.. but why mess with something that works???

I was at the Oakville service centre a little while ago and the service attendant said that one of the software engineers was there and spent 3 month programming different types of code for inclimate weather...

Come on Tesla... spending a few extra bucks to include the moisture sensor is worth it!

1. Heated steering wheel, 100% (I know it would require hardware, but I'd be willing to pay for a swap out of it was reasonable...or I'll just add a heating element on my own and sell them to other cold weather owners :cool:)
2. Departure based charging (so you can leave with a fully charged battery and not have to do calculus when you get home and plug in)
3. Range estimate (guess-o-meter) use the average efficiency from the last couple weeks to adjust the range estimate (like every other EV), it still baffles me why they would choose to show 450 km range on a 90% charge when I'm actually getting a 30-40% range hit by use of heat and outside temps....doesn't bother me because I expect it, I'm thinking more for new EV owners and it being easier to estimate how much range you actually have on any given day
4. Ability to run 'fan only' mode and/or enable the heater just like you can enable/disable the A/C
5. (not really winter related) enable all cameras to record from dashcam...or at least use the widefield front cameras. My aftermarket dashcam died a few weeks back and it would capture someone side swiping me its FOV was so wide. The teslacam only sees far down the road. I'm trying to resist buying a dual front/back camera setup because I know the minute I do they will update the firmware to record from all :rolleyes:

Feedback? More ideas

Make the range estimator more accurate to temperature. ie. when it gets -5C, range goes to hell, but if you enter a destination it'll say you'll arrive with 27% battery, but in truth it'll be more like 14%.

Reactions: FatLam and McFlurri
Make the range estimator more accurate to temperature. ie. when it gets -5C, range goes to hell, but if you enter a destination it'll say you'll arrive with 27% battery, but in truth it'll be more like 14%.

Winter 20°C cabin temp heating adds another ~40% consumption (in kms) to my daily 50km commute.

Started the day with 448km and arrived to work with 382. In the summer, it would be way less / on point at 398.

It would be nice to know exactly how much range is left with the current cabin temperature settings as doing math on the fly does require some focus and mental agility.

On a plus side, vampire drain is minimal with the near 0°C temperatures.

Ability to set the select between the different wiper settings (1, 2, 3, 4, Auto) without having to use the touchscreen. This could be accomplished by double tapping the wiper control button. If you double tap, the wiper control pops up and then each subsequent press moves between the settings. Then you don't have to take your eyes off the road or hands off the wheel.

Or alternately a voice command to set windshield wiper setting.

The car actually maintains an estimated km left. And you can access it from the web API or teslafi but not on the touchscreen. Would be one line of code to display it in the car.

Estimated/rated

Instead of just rated km.

Someone should tweet the request...

Mine is in driveway at 288/405

The car actually maintains an estimated km left. And you can access it from the web API or teslafi but not on the touchscreen. Would be one line of code to display it in the car.

Estimated/rated

I just divide the estimated range by 2 and get a worst-case.

Estimated/rated

I just divide the estimated range by 2 and get a worst-case.

Why can't they do something like what is on the bolt? Not only does the middle number estimate based off of recent driving, the max and min show you what to expect if you gun it and crank the heat, or hyper mile the snot out of things.

IMG_20181118_224412.jpg

In the summer the middle number typically reads about 400km, recently we have mainly been doing short trips while using heat so the estimated range dropped big time.

This is basically my point #3 above.

Isn't that range based on your lat 'last 50km driven' range that you can access in the car via energy consumption screen?

Yes, displaying this in the HUD under the battery bar would be great like in parenthesis 448km (250km).

With the heat on at 20°C and pre-heating the cabin, my ~120km daily commute actually brings the battery down to 250ish km at the end of the night. 1.5 times summer temp consumption.

Reactions: McFlurri