Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian X Refresh Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone in Canada heard from their SA about a possible delivery date of their X refresh? I know it was announced when X refresh started that the X deliveries would be North America wide but speaking to my service center the other week, they said they have not received any indication any deliveries are imminent. Wondering if anyone has received info that is more concrete about when deliveries will begin in Canada.

Unfortunately not - I'm waiting as well like many Canadians or we have a massive tax bill if we don't take delivery by Jan 1.

I ordered in May of this 2021 - delivery info still says 'TBD"

I remember in 2018, in the Model 3 ramp up, Tesla jumped Ontario orders to front of the line just before the election as it was expected (and correctly so that ) the $14K EV incentive would be dropped & they were worried of people cancelling orders. At that time, Tesla appreciated every customer and tried to do right by them - 3.75 years later and they have more orders than they can fulfill & now they act like it should be a privilege for us to be able to buy from them. Us long term Tesla customers who helped them get to where they are today are no longer valued. A $10K+ luxury tax increase for X refresh orders from May through remainder of 2021 is going to cost Tesla some sales (April 2021 and earlier orders are protected). It can't be that many orders they would need to fulfill - you would think they would push forward those orders like they did in 2018

Just checked - mine says February (no year, but I assume 2022) - I ordered the first day it was announced (publicly), plaid 6-seats, larger wheels.
Previously it was to be updated soon (the prior month or so).

Toronto location

Mine changed from Jan to Feb as well! Wonder If the timeline will hold true to Feb 2022.

Early May Order - Long Range/ Red/ Black Interior/ 5 Seater / FSD

Also If I change order now to 7 seater, would it push the timeline further away?
Any changes to your order basically makes it a new order which can impact delivery date. Once we start seeing Canadian VINs then we should have an idea of more accurate EDD since right now everyone has placeholders. They will batch build at the factory for Canada so order date sometimes is not as important for Canada depending on what they're building for Canada at the moment.

Any changes to your order basically makes it a new order which can impact delivery date. Once we start seeing Canadian VINs then we should have an idea of more accurate EDD since right now everyone has placeholders. They will batch build at the factory for Canada so order date sometimes is not as important for Canada depending on what they're building for Canada at the moment.
Thanks for the suggestion, would probably leave it as it ...

Unfortunately not - I'm waiting as well like many Canadians or we have a massive tax bill if we don't take delivery by Jan 1.

I ordered in May of this 2021 - delivery info still says 'TBD"
A colleague tipped me here - according to this the "luxury" tax could be delayed. Hence if Tesla does truly deliver in February maybe we don't have to pay this tax. Hopefully Tesla can move faster than the government : )

"Budget 2021 proposed to introduce a tax on the sales, for personal use, of luxury cars and personal aircraft with a retail sales price over $100,000, and boats, for personal use, over $250,000. The tax would be calculated at the lesser of 20 per cent of the value above the threshold ($100,000 for cars and personal aircraft, $250,000 for boats) or 10 per cent of the full value of the luxury car, boat, or personal aircraft. The Department of Finance has undertaken consultations with respect to the design of this measure and is working to incorporate the results of this consultation into the proposed tax framework. Draft legislation, including details on coming-into-force, will be released in early 2022."

I'm expecting that the first Canadian deliveries will be Plaid for a while. I'm seriously considering doing a second reservation for a Plaid just in case that happens and there remains a long delay for the LR in Canada but X Plaid is so expensive in Canada.

Even a new plaid would be May/June — I think things will get more fluid once Texas/Berlin are running with Y production. Would free up capacity at Fremont if it’s not a material specific backlog.

All the predictions are based on current slow ramp, whereas what happens if everything coming out of Fremont becomes 3\S\X.

Plaid X on order since March. 5 seater with 22’s. Expected delivery is showing Feb but I’m not holding my breath
I'm really unsure what to do - I think we will start seeing a lot of Plaid X coming soon & within a few months it will be like Plaid S where they are sitting in inventory in Canada given the high price. For me, I don't need track mode/faster speed so the $27K extra for the plaid is not worth it compared to the LR X. But if I can get the Plaid before the luxury tax whereas the LR probably won't happen before the tax that saves me $10K making the difference $17K. Currently I can sell my Model Y probably for $10K more now than I can sell it in 8-10 months from now which then makes the difference only $7K and for that difference the Plaid X seems more interesting.

Yes, the luxury tax piece is a big unknown here. With the current prices, giving up my old order, and moving from a LR to a plaid would be around $44,000. However, if it means no luxury tax by being delivered sooner then that delta shrinks. Also, it’s sounding like 5 seater LRs may not ship until 2023, and maybe not ever given that they’ve just scrapped the 5 and 7 sets Plaids. Not sure what to do…

Yes, the luxury tax piece is a big unknown here. With the current prices, giving up my old order, and moving from a LR to a plaid would be around $44,000. However, if it means no luxury tax by being delivered sooner then that delta shrinks. Also, it’s sounding like 5 seater LRs may not ship until 2023, and maybe not ever given that they’ve just scrapped the 5 and 7 sets Plaids. Not sure what to do…

I ended up placing an order today. I should be able to transfer the deposit from one order to the other & if I can't it's only a $250 loss on a $150K-$180K purchase . This way I am keeping my options open - I am locking in the current price in case the Plaid price goes up & possibly reducing the luxury tax threat. If the Plaid comes first but it seems my LR order could soon follow I can then make a final decision

Reactions: DPW666
I ended up placing an order today. I should be able to transfer the deposit from one order to the other & if I can't it's only a $250 loss on a $150K-$180K purchase . This way I am keeping my options open - I am locking in the current price in case the Plaid price goes up & possibly reducing the luxury tax threat. If the Plaid comes first but it seems my LR order could soon follow I can then make a final decision
I ended up doing the same thing today for the exact same reasons. Now, we wait and see...