Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadians Considering Model S? (Especially interested in those NOT in ON, QB or BC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was wondering if there are any Canadians around here who might wish to discuss some of the somewhat unique issues we have.

I say not ON, QB or BC because while I would value their input as well I'm most interested in those in other areas for these reasons:

• We (I'm in NS for the record) have no rebates. To my knowledge those aforementioned provinces are the only provinces offering rebates right now. There is (correct me if I'm wrong) nothing federal. FWIW I contacted the minister of energy in NS and he says nothing is planned for us (big surprise). Every review one reads includes the US rebate (which is about the same as those provinces) but I have to tack on $8,000 or so. I realize life isn't fair but psychologically this is a bit of a block -- not to mention we don't actually know CAD pricing yet. They could throw an extra $5k on top for CAD pricing which increases the feeling (logical or not) that I'm getting gouged. In fact I'm probably out (for now) if that's the case but moving on ...

• We will have no infrastructure. I have seen talk of ON and QB having fast chargers installed in various locations. I hold out no hope for much movement in this regard.

• Servicing. There is the ranger program but there is something relatively unsettling about the idea of being one of the only people with this car in the area (the map of deposits shows nobody in NS but that's voluntary and doesn't include everyone so there might be a few -- anyone out there?).

I'm mostly over all the other issues (cold weather, early adoption) but the above issues stand out for me and I'd be interested in other people's input. Thanks!

NS really should want to foster EVs; the province is a very good size for them, and it has an aggressive renewable energy plan. A "southern ring" of Halifax, Lunenberg, Shelburne, Yarmouth, Annapolis Royal, Grand Pre around the 103/101 is a natural. Add Truro, Amherst, Antigonish, and the couple of locations up on Cape Breton, and you've got a solid network.

I'm in ON, but can still talk to the infrastructure issue.

Rumours of infrastructure in Ontario are greatly exaggerated. At this time there is essentially nothing. That has not stopped me from driving my Roadster, because a Tesla driver's infrastructure needs are rather different from those of Leaf drivers. We have a lot more range than they do.

There is absolutely no infrastructure in Ottawa. Zero. Zip. Nada. But I don't need any, because I can charge in my garage and drive all over town, not to mention to places an hour out of town, without having to charge to get home. And I've never experienced "range anxiety" because I always arrive home with plenty of range to spare. The Roadster's range (and the Model S') is enough that you can simply forget about it for daily driving.

There's a Sheraton hotel in Toronto that has J1772. Haven't tried it yet. So far I've only been able to wrangle 110V charging at hotels, with staff jumping through a few hoops for me (I've yet to find a hotel that actually has a conveniently placed outlet!). It's only useful if you're staying a couple of days... but if you are staying a couple of days then you can fully charge up.

Right now there's no way to travel inter-city, unless the KOAs are open (May - September). With the campgrounds you can travel long distances as long as you're patient.

Ontario is talking about installing some chargers, but they're targeting GO Train stations in Toronto. This is obviously for Leaf drivers who drive to the train station to go downtown. Not the most convenient location for Tesla charging. If you're going to have to sit and wait, it would be far better to be near restaurants and hotels.

There is also talk of installing chargers at the On Route stations along the 401. That will be very useful, but it hasn't happened yet and who knows when it will?

But none of this has stopped me from thoroughly enjoying driving electric. Around town there is no issue whatsoever. I only ever encounter limitations when I go on road trips that are long enough to require charging. I can easily get to Montreal without charging, but would need juice to get home. I can just barely manage Ottawa-Kingston-Ottawa on a single charge. Toronto requires a charge en route. The 85 kWh Model S, taking on the slower highways to maximize range, could manage the trip on a single charge.

Your driving patterns are the crucial question.

I'm in a very-low-infrastructure area. There does seem to be some infrastructure being built -- mostly Nissan dealers, and who knows if they'll let me charge. Anyway, I've been assuming that I won't have access to charging.

If you can figure things out so that you don't need access to charging for your everyday activities, and the times you'd have to go further are only one or two times a year and can be planned for, then you're OK as far as that goes.

I'll be dependent on Rangers too. They have developed a very good reputation and I wouldn't worry about that; you can figure the cost by figuring distance to the closest Tesla service center. I hope the price is determined as the crow flies. :)

The price of the car -- well, that is the sticking point, isn't it? You may decide it's not worth it at this time for you. Electric cars will, after all, get cheaper.

I'll be dependent on Rangers too. They have developed a very good reputation and I wouldn't worry about that; you can figure the cost by figuring distance to the closest Tesla service center. I hope the price is determined as the crow flies. :)

When they charged me, they used the exact number that popped up in Google Maps when you put in the two addresses.

In MB we currently have no incentives other than really cheap electricity. I'm not at all concerned about lack of infrastructure - we won't get any fast chargers in the near futures, but the 85 kW pack will cover 99% of my driving. I'll swap with a family member if I need to do a road trip. The ' emergency' infrastructure certainly exists all over - everyone has a 110V plug and people are friendly here. While I am slightly concerned about service, I think that most of the parts that might break down could be serviced anywhere - tires would be the #1 problem by far, in my estimation.

Really, I am willing to pay the price because I consider it an investment not only for me but for others' benefits as well. But this altruism is colored by the fact that it will be by far the best-performing car IV ever driven, and I plan on impressing all of my acquaintances. Hopefully enough of them will then buy a Tesla and we can try to convince TM to put up a store here... one can always dream.

-- not to mention we don't actually know CAD pricing yet. They could throw an extra $5k on top for CAD pricing which increases the feeling (logical or not) that I'm getting gouged. In fact I'm probably out (for now) if that's the case but moving on ...

Unfortunately there's a pretty good chance of that happening I would think. I'm in Ontario FWIW, and can't wait for Model S. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Welcome any additional feedback from anyone else ...

NS really should want to foster EVs; the province is a very good size for them, and it has an aggressive renewable energy plan.

They did mention we have ten Leafs to share ... so that's ... "something." :)

Your driving patterns are the crucial question.

Aside from a once in a blue moon trip around the Cabot Trail there really isn't anywhere I ever go which is outside of the range but under the distance where I'd fly. So I have no range concerns whatsoever.

tires would be the #1 problem by far, in my estimation .

I may be behind the eight ball here (and I know the Roadster has pricey tires) but I thought the S wasn't as bad. What the issue?

Unfortunately there's a pretty good chance of that happening ($5k+ onto price for CAD) I would think. I'm in Ontario FWIW, and can't wait for Model S. :)

It's NAFTA eligible is it not? I realize they may want to build in some exchange rate protection although we've been around par for so long now it seems like less of an issue. So I don't see a huge reason to add a massive premium on for CAD although almost every US company under the sun seems to still do so. I realize there is some extra expense but I work for a Canadian company which sells into the US and we always manage to make those issues work without passing on the cost to the customer -- it's a shame (and I'm well aware of why it happens it's just frustrating) that US companies don't make the same effort when selling into Canada.

It's NAFTA eligible is it not? I realize they may want to build in some exchange rate protection although we've been around par for so long now it seems like less of an issue. So I don't see a huge reason to add a massive premium on for CAD although almost every US company under the sun seems to still do so. I realize there is some extra expense but I work for a Canadian company which sells into the US and we always manage to make those issues work without passing on the cost to the customer -- it's a shame (and I'm well aware of why it happens it's just frustrating) that US companies don't make the same effort when selling into Canada.

Yes, unlike the Roadster the Model S will definitely qualify under NAFTA. That will remove the single biggest cause of the price differential.

I've heard from more than one Tesla representative that the Model S will be the same price in Canada. I am holding my breath on that one.

Historically, when our dollar was lower than the greenback, major automakers would actually sell here at a price after exchange rate that was effectively lower than in the USA. That's because they simply wouldn't be able to sell the cars otherwise. They made a big deal about not honoring warranties if you bought the car cross-border.

I should clarify my "tire problem" comment. What I meant was that the most frequent maintenance/repair will be tire rotation and replacing the tires. This isn't actually a "problem" - it speaks more to the fact that an electric car simply won't have a lot of maintenance. There is a thread discussing maintenance somewhere here...