Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CANBUS adapter cable and OBD BT install question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alset2

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2020
Ocala. Fl
I have read and read but thought I would just ask. I have ordered adapter cables and OBDlink so I can get Scan MY Tesla app working.

Do you have to power down to hook up the adapter cable and OBD reader ?

I have read and seen videos of people plugging it in with and with out powering off.

I have an extensive automotive repair background and to be honest, I would not have even consider the need to power down to hook up a diagnostic reader... until I came across mention of it in all my reading.

I will not use it for real time telemetry, I will just used it to check on things once in while (and I like data!!)
I also ordered a cable for my wifes M3, is it ok to just leave the adapter cable hooked up with out the OBD reader ?

I feel a little silly asking these questions (if you knew my background you would laugh with me) but I simply dont want to mess something up becasue I THINK I am soooo smart about cars...lol
...and these are not JUST cars if you know hat I am saying

Thank in advanced

It is a good idea, but I did install it in my M3 and did not power down. I was just careful with the connectors and make sure not so short anything out and the install went fine. It works well with the app BTW. I leave my OBD reader connected all the time when I drive daily but now that I am only driving a few times a week, I have unplugged it as to not put unnecessary strain on the 12v battery. I believe it will charge it up even when parked, but I don't want to risk it.