Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancel and re-order next year – or go for it this year (you only live once!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR Version:
Ordered an X90D in red, 7 seats, UW interior, no PUP, 22” onyx.
  1. Want to get car this year for tax credit – will it be built in time? Willing to buy inventory car, but doubt inventory car would exist in Q4 push with our exact config.
  2. Can’t have perforated seats because of kids – how likely is it that Tesla breaks out the PUP (we would want all PUP features except for ventilated seats)? Have they done this in the past with the S?
  3. Willing to wait 6-10 months for 100D, but only willing to pay 10 to 15K for it. If it’s 20K, it would be cost prohibitive, and we would rather buy a 90D now and enjoy the car sooner rather than later.
TLBRIA (Too Long But Read It Anyway) Version:
We placed an order this weekend for an X90D in red, UW interior, 7 seat, 22 inch onyx wheels, and most of the options except for tow package and high amp charger. This is going to be my wife’s daily driver. My wife loves the car (we had a store test drive and an overnight test drive). Our primary motivation to order now was because of the AP2.0 announcement (to have the newest tech for the longest possible time before something else new comes out) and to try to capitalize on the federal tax credit this year if we can get our car built in time.

A few concerns have us thinking if we should hold off until next year and reorder then (we are still in our 7 day cancellation window). I will say that we plan on buying the X either now OR sometime in 2017 no matter what, so it’s really a matter of now vs. wait 6-10 months.

We had PUP in there initially, but decided against it since we have an infant and plan on having another child. The perforated seats would be too difficult to keep clean, so we’re nonPUP now. We do wish that that we could get all the other PUP features, just without the perforated seats. Any possibility that Tesla would break out or segment the PUP further? Have they done this in the past on the S? My feeling is no -- the take rate is very high on PUP, so variations on PUP would introduce too many inefficiencies in their assembly line.

Elon said that the 100kWh battery is still ramping up and as such, is reserved for their highest margin P100DL. What’s the likelihood we see a 100D next year? I think if the difference to go from 90D to 100D is 10K to 15K, we’d wait for it. A 20K increase though would be cost prohibitive for us.

We are due to get confirmed this weekend, and are hoping to go into production and have our car before the end of the year. How realistic is this? The people in the store said it would be very tight. I figure it would be in the Q4 push, so it’s likely either we get our car OR we get offered an inventory car at the end of December. We are not averse to an inventory car, but I just don’t think our particular configuration is very common (red multi coat, 7 seats, UW interior, no PUP, 22 inch onyx wheels).

My gut feeling is to go ahead and cancel and re-order next year, and let AP2.0 mature and see what else Elon has in store for us. But I suppose I’m looking for some enablers here to tell me that my concerns are unwarranted and to go for it and enjoy the car now rather than later.

Thanks all! We look forward to joining the club soon!

Reactions: vrykolas
As I always state - if you can wait, then wait. Look at the 5 seater thread which is a perfect example of what waiting will get you - good things come to those who wait. For example, discounted upgrades, AP2, P100DL, etc. and possibly more to come.

But do consider:
Wait costs cash, serious cash, with the ongoing raises. Order directly following a major change makes sense, too.
N perspective: My MS costs now 18% more (18.000 Euro) than in Feb 15 when I ordered it.
More importantly, for me at least: waiting would have 'cost' me many months having to drive old age tech.
Ice, you know what I mean.
My thoughts: enjoy asap!

Ps the longer you wait, the more danger you run that your delivery is close to another major update and you miss out on that. Just check the forum to know what psychological damage might occur then.

Good luck!!

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Hi,
Elon talked about this 2 days ago on Oct 26th conference call. You can listen to it here:

31:50 Elon: Right now there are 3 top priorities for me. Obviously Model 3, then Autopilot self-driving software and then trying to ramp up the 100 kWh production rate. I receive daily updates on the 100 kWh production. After this call, I'm going to be on the 100 kWh production line because the demand is high and we just need to satisfy that demand.
32:45 Analyst: It seems this is more important than profitability in the near term.
32:50 Elon: Definitely in the near term.

Because Elon is working on this issue, I would say 100D is likely in December, maybe around December 5th. This would give them enough time to deliver 100Ds in California. Outside California looks difficult in Q4. Tesla needs 25K deliveries in Q4 to achieve their 80K delivery target for 2016. Therefore it makes sense to release the 100D in Q4.

Last edited:
I recall stories of customers ordering PUP (and paying full amount) and asking for down-graded seats (e.g. cloth). They have done it early in the delivery process, but you should be contacting your DS about this to see if it's still possible. Your DS should be the first place you go for these types of answers.

yes you can get PUP without leather seats , call on the orders helpline and ask them to update it in the system . My X is ordered the same way, good folks at the forum here helped me learn it was a possibility.

However you will not see it in the MVPA till the tesla enters production , so do make sure to remain on top of it and have a confirmation from your DS after the order is locked in that it is indeed the case. Also get to save $2,500 since you are sticking to cloth seats.

• Informative
Reactions: matblk
So I can call and ask for non-perforated leather seats in ultra white for PUP?

AFAIK with PUP it's either multipattern black seats or perforated leather seats.

Without PUP its either multipattern black or non perforated leather.

However now that I think about it, I do not see why they can't give you non perforated seats, they are different seats than leather ones. Definitely call and ask.

Btw, you will end up paying same price for leather seats perforated or not, why do you not want perforated ones?

Why wait, if you buy next year something will come along and you will be in the same position as you are now. You cannot out wait technology. Also if you are worried about keeping the seats clean why did you order white, our tan leather perforated seat are very easy to keep clean. Plus you will be missing out on driving the X which is a most amazing car.

Thanks all for the responses.

Reasoning for non-perforated seats is because of kids. We don't want spills seeping through the holes. We are willing to pay for PUP for all other features but don't want the perforated seats. We'll call the orders helpline to see if this is possible. Our OA said that PUP implies cloth seats OR perforated, but we'll ask again! It would be great if they could accommodate this change.

We like the ultra white interior the most -- seems the most futuristic and highlights all the clean lines. The material, although not real leather, feels very supple. It's supposedly the most stain resistant as well?

Ideally we wanted the 100D for the most range, but I think my wife is coming around to my suggestion that we should just go for broke (haha) and get the P100D.

Will keep you all updated!

AFAIK with PUP it's either multipattern black seats or perforated leather seats.

Without PUP its either multipattern black or non perforated leather.

However now that I think about it, I do not see why they can't give you non perforated seats, they are different seats than leather ones. Definitely call and ask.

Btw, you will end up paying same price for leather seats perforated or not, why do you not want perforated ones?

I got two toddlers and another baby on the way. Those food crumbs will be a doozy to try to get out. I currently have perforated seats in my suv and some of those crumbs cannot be vacuumed out.

Reactions: krazineurons
Just had my order confirmed this weekend and went through several of the same debates. I personally went for the PUP even though I have kids - I don't have any infants but I get the concern about spills and crumbs. I didn't want to lose the ventilated seats in the front row - the auto presenting doors were also too cool to pass up.

I also struggled with waiting for a 100D versus getting a 90D and just went for the 90D. When you factor in the free superchargers it makes the decision much easier. If you wait for technology it also goes on forever sometimes - eventually you need to buy and accept something better will always come along.

Totally agreed on the ultra white interior though - super soft and looks great.

What did you end up deciding over the weekend?

I am in the same dilemma though. Will soon have a kid, but do not want to pay for something I do not get ( cooling seats).
Solution to perforated seats - Do not let your kids eat or drink in car

I also have a Model X on order, it gets locked in 5 days. And I keep wondering if I should cancel due to Tesla will stop producing 90kwt batteries and there is a chance to get a Software limited 100 KWT battery instead.
This battery could always be charged to a 100% so it would technically increase range in everyday use with less wear and tear on the battery.

You think there is a change to get a 100kwt battery on a car ordered now?

@Kim Kim,

There is pretty much zero chance you will ever see a software limited 90 kWh or any other software limited version of the largest battery. It never happened in the past and won't happen in the future. If you want a 100D you could wait until it's available. If you want both the 100D and free supercharging, you could wait until the end of December to place an order. If the 100D isn't available by that time, you need to decide which one you want more.

By the way, a few days ago Tesla has stopped shipping cars outside North America. They will continue again in early January. Whether you order now or on 31st Dec won't make a difference on your delivery time. In either case, the car will be manufactured in early January and put on a ship in mid-January. It will arrive in late Feb or early March.

Also notice that, while waiting for the 100D might seem like a good idea, be aware that the current 90D could be discontinued and the 100D will be more expensive. If both cars were available now and the price difference was €10,000, would you have picked the 100D? If yes then it makes sense to wait. If no, then it doesn't.

Last edited:
@Kim Kim,

There is pretty much zero chance you will ever see a software limited 90 kWh or any other software limited version of the largest battery. It never happened in the past and won't happen in the future. If you want a 100D you could wait until it's available. If you want both the 100D and free supercharging, you could wait until the end of December to place an order. If the 100D isn't available by that time, you need to decide which one you want more.

By the way, a few days ago Tesla has stopped shipping cars outside North America. They will continue again in early January. Whether you order now or on 31st Dec won't make a difference on your delivery time. In either case, the car will be manufactured in early January and put on a ship in mid-January. It will arrive late Feb or early March.

Also notice that, while waiting for the 100D might seem like a good idea, be aware that the current 90D could be discontinued and the 100D will be more expensive. If both cars were available now and the price difference was €10,000, would you have picked the 100D? If yes then it makes sense to wait. If no, then it doesn't.

Thank you Troy, you made all my ghosts disappear in 30 seconds. This also means that if there is any other upgrades before January I might get an offer to pay for the upgrade, or maybe get em for free if it is standard changes.

T. ex:
New Ventilated seats for all cars.
-Upgraded-faster main console units
-Improved the hands off detection

I will keep my reservation, now. Estimated delivery is March, as you said :)

Thank you again, really helpful

@Kim Kim,

By the way, a few days ago Tesla has stopped shipping cars outside North America. They will continue again in early January. Whether you order now or on 31st Dec won't make a difference on your delivery time. In either case, the car will be manufactured in early January and put on a ship in mid-January. It will arrive in late Feb or early March.

We just ordered X90D on 22-November. Although I like dreaming of the idea of a software-limited 90 battery, or a 'free' upgrade to 100D if 90D is discontinued (I doubt either will happen before we take delivery).