TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cancel valet mode without pin

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Glitch, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Glitch

Glitch Member

I have found the following:

Tesla bug Report:

Severity: Major

Valet Mode can be disabled when rebooting the car using the 2 steeringwheel buttons.

How to reproduce: Enable Valet in your Tesla App.

Go to the car, Valet mode is enabled. Now Reboot the car using the steeringwheel buttons, car restarts: Result Valet Mode Disabled.

Thus meaning that although there is a pincode it has no use as reboot disables Valet mode.

Bug was found in software V8.1 V8.1 (17.11.10)

• Informative x 1
  2. luckyj

luckyj Member

While that's a disturbing find, if true, you should always give the vendor (Tesla) time to respond to/fix issues related to security of the product. Otherwise we're all at an increased risk of someone using that information to cause harm. Of course if you reported it a while ago and the vendor is not doing anything about it, that's another issue. Anyways...

I tested this on my Model S, 17.17.4, and rebooting did not disable Valet mode. I rebooted the main display, it was still enabled. Then I rebooted the instrument cluster, and it was still enabled.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I just checked on my X, running 17.17.4. Valet mode did NOT disable when rebooting the main display or the instrument cluster. Are you running the latest software, @Glitch ?

4. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Member

Clearly, then, it was just a (wince) @Glitch.

5. Glitch

Glitch Member

Im in europe and currently on the firmware that i have listed. I already Told tesla this.