Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceled my Model 3 Reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I knew the Model 3 would be a boring appliance and I was OK with that if I got mine early enough to get the ~$10k Federal+California state credits. But when I found it would not have ANY gauges in front of the driver that was not something I am OK with. I see from your join date that you are another Johnny come lately Tesla Fan boy. I'm sure you will enjoy the Model 3 coming from a Camry/Accord equivalent econobox as you just don't know any better. But it's your money (+tax payer subsidy money) and you can choose to spend it how you like. I choose not to spend my hard earned money on this taxi drone product.

The reason you're getting the reactions you see here, is because of your 'superior, know-it-all attitude'. Rather than simply getting your deposit back and leaving quietly, you insist on telling everyone else the huge 'mistake' we've all made. Frankly, I call that classless. The classy way to exit, if you insisted on posting, would have been to say, "I decided the 3 wasn't for me, good luck to the rest of you, hope you enjoy the 3".

Ba bye, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Luckily the OP found out about the absence of gauges. Because of that, he miraculously also discovered the M3 runs on electricity

The butt hurt is strong with this one. Model 3 runs on electricity? LoL thanks for that revelation Einstein. In your home country of Belgium: "Belgium is still among the most energy-dependent EU countries and ranked at eighth place in terms of energy dependency in 2012. Production by power source in 2009 was 53% nuclear, 40% fossil electricity and 7% renewable electricity."

Do you enjoy your Nuclear/fossil powered "GREEN S85"? Yes please tell me how your situation is different because your house gets its power from a windmill.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: mmd and cdub
...real performance driving...
I don't need "real performance driving" on metro freeways, 85 mph turnpikes or on mountain roads where speed limits prevent any overheating possibility. For me, Model S 90D and the P85 have the power and performance I prefer. I owned a Ludicrous Tesla and it was fun to drive. For me personally, less than 2.3 seconds 0 to 60 acceleration wasn't necessary:

2017 Tesla Model S P100D First Test: A New Record - 0-60 MPH in 2.28 Seconds! - Motor Trend

Thankfully we still have a choice of what to drive. What I wrote the other day on another forum says it best:

"I attend a Leaf EV group meeting that has met for 7 years. While some continue to drive the Leaf, several now own or lease a Tesla and a few are thrilled with their new Bolt EVs. Nine participants have reservations for Model 3. This is all very fluid and loyalty to one manufacturer does not appear to be an issue. Range is critical as everyone in the group have enjoyed lower range EVs and continue to seek the goal of charging at home for the majority of round trip travel.

We enjoy sharing the positives and negatives of each vehicle and don’t argue over what vehicle is best. The right EV is whatever each person enjoys driving and using on a daily basis. Best of all is the discussion of technical topics that help maximize our enjoyment of electric vehicles.
"

The butt hurt is strong with this one. Model 3 runs on electricity? LoL thanks for that revelation Einstein. In your home country of Belgium: "Belgium is still among the most energy-dependent EU countries and ranked at eighth place in terms of energy dependency in 2012. Production by power source in 2009 was 53% nuclear, 40% fossil electricity and 7% renewable electricity."

Do you enjoy your Nuclear/fossil powered "GREEN S85"? Yes please tell me how your situation is different because your house gets its power from a windmill.

Well actually I have enough solar panels on my roof to power house plus Tesla, but never mind. And as my signature says my first MS was indeed green. Dark green :).

Think we should let this one go, just another confused Joe on the street. I can have "Bently Continental GT" in my signature but doesn't mean I really own one. He'll be back in a few years time begging for a Tesla. Not worth losing our brain cycles arguing. Tesla is on the verge of introducing a game changing car to us and as enthusiasts, we have so much to look forward to. All this negativity is a waste.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: cdub and bonnie
The reasons for an EV drivetrain have nothing to do with GT4's or turbo diesels.

1) Quicker accelerator response.
2) Regen is nice. Your range goes up, not down in traffic congestion.
3) Wake with a full tank each morning.
4) Lower CG and the benefits that come with it.

I just drove an ICE for 5 hours after spending most of last 4 years driving EV powertrains.
While the interior luxury, comfort, and features are excellent, the turbo 404hp 8-sp powertrain is not as good as an EV. It gets irritating when trying to execute a quick pass when there is no boost yet. You shouldn't powerbrake a car at 65mph to build boost.

An EV is superior to ICE in these 4 areas. There are areas where ICE is better, but daily driving, they are few.

All this negativity is a waste.
Not entirely. I wouldn't have enjoyed the video presentation or discovered the Motor Trend article if this thread didn't exist.

As people complain, it can encourage the reader to research the facts and learn the truth. If car buyers want the best for their needs, wishes and desires, then they should take the time to read the manufacturer websites, check reviews, visit the showrooms, sit in the vehicles, take test drives and then buy or lease what makes them happiest at the price point they can afford.

And for those who can't afford to wait, there are previously owned Tesla vehicles that have a driver's console, a large touchscreen, great acceleration, more room and added range than a Model 3 at a similar cost.

Used Model S | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: Lem89
  • Informative
Reactions: SpiceWare
Too bad he cancelled. If you want more gauges, I'm sure in no time there will be many apps available for your smart phone just like there are currently for the Model S, X and Roadster! Get one of those suction cup thingys or something and stick it wherever you want.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark Z
Too bad he cancelled. If you want more gauges, I'm sure in no time there will be many apps available for your smart phone just like there are currently for the Model S, X and Roadster! Get one of those suction cup thingys or something and stick it wherever you want.

Nothing like adding a tach, oil pressure, and boost gauge to your EV. Adds 50HP.

• Funny
Reactions: MXWing
I'm sorry to say I had to cancel my reservation as well. :(

Canceled.jpg

I noticed the OP only briefly mentioned a lack of gauges for his cancellation. In most other posts he beats around the bush concerning his apparent pre-purchase range anxiety. Glad Tesla is continuing to expand on a SC network that current owners and reservation holders are comfortable with, also much appreciated!

You're such a troll this is actually fun, so:

Will you be getting a license plate "COALPWR" for your coal burning electric vehicle? The #1 source of electricity in the U.S. is coal. But please proceed to tell me how your SPECIFIC car will be powered by windmills built with locally sourced drift wood or by solar panels built without Chinese slave labor using only environmentally clean Chinese energy sources.

Marin Clean Energy 100% renewable energy Program. If I wanted to go for zero impact I guess it would have to be walking around barefoot and naked by your standards.

I also have hundreds of track hours, both flogging cars and instructing and I've crewed on an amateur race team. Still haven't gotten all the "grease out from under my fingernails" as it were. One of my favorite cars a student let me drive hard was a Cayman S. Good choice on the GT4. There have been threads about it and I'm hardly the exception on this board.

I've never owned a Camry, but I appreciate cars with low polar moment's of inertia and all the benefits that come with it, broad power bands and exciting acceleration; and while I haven't yet driven a Model 3 I have driven several Model S and was duly impressed with them, as is anyone not just trying to stir up controversy on an internet forum who I'm somewhat skeptical had a reservation in the first place. I'm almost suspicious you're a forum member who is stirring up the board under an alternate signup , we are kind of bored and impatient around here right now! ;)

I will admit that I am a Teslafanboy and stood in line for the Model 3 with all the other great folks. That was a wonderful day. I am even willing to ignore that the “S/3 comparison sheet and the “Model 3 test drive invitation" are just a ploy to get us to consider the S. Tesla needs to sell the S as it underwrites the entire vision of a profitable energy company.

However, I was standing in line for a sporty, smaller version of the S. Now I know Tesla had to build a different vehicle. It had to have rear passenger room and feel like a self driving taxi. I am OK with that and will keep my place in line. I think what it means is that another car company wanting to make a driver-oriented, sporty “BMW3” series electric car competitor has a wide open field. I love competition!

Well it must be nice living in a country not even half the size of Texas. Here in the U.S. we travel much greater distances than you. My diesel is truly unlimited range and I don't have to plan my life around my car's battery.

I don't plan around the battery either. I go where ever I want and the navigation tells me where I need to charge for a little bit, take a walk, grab a drink, etc.

2016 GT4's still selling for over MSRP. No used Model S or Model 3 would ever sell for over MSRP as Teslas are mass produced appliances. 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4

Yes this is exactly who will be buying the Model 3. People who are not driving enthusiasts and are upgrading from a Camry.

Yes because flogging my car 0-60 is what I do at every stop light. Electric cars are good for city puttering around. Diesels are king of the highways. Think you'll get anywhere close to your max range going a steady 75mph on the highway? Fat Chance.

I'm not OK with subsidies but it was already stolen from me and I was hoping to get some of it back by buying a Model 3. But when I saw the reveal I decided this Drone-Taxi appliance was too awful for me to stomach even for the tax incentives (if you are even lucky enough to be one of the early ones before they run out).

Thanks for the kind words. I wouldn't expect anything less from a trendy Tesla Fan boy who can't handle a contrarian viewpoint.

If I can find a GT4 under MSRP, you pay me $1 for every price I can haggle under MSRP. If the bottom offer is higher than MSRP, I pay you $2. You wanna take this bet? I'm sure I can drive my Model X up to a Porsche dealer and be taken seriously when it comes to noodling out a deal. Too bad I don't want a GT4 though - just have to fake my enthusiasm. Same as you faking legit interest in the Model 3. Don't spend your $1000 refundable deposit in one spot! Any Tesla owner could of purchased a GT4 if they wanted one, seems like they don't.

Jay Leno loves Tesla's. He has 170 cars and has to make a point to "root" for Tesla because idiot Americans are burning down their own sons and pride. Jay Leno is not a driving enthusiast - right.

Cramer: Jay Leno's shocking wake-up call on Tesla

My budget Tesla would smoke any of your VW econoboxes or Porsche Caymans (that Tesla owners don't want) so not sure why you want to argue about the grass being blue and the sky being green.

I don't need to burn every car at a stoplight. Just VW econoboxes and Porsche GT4's. And I have an option to, doesnt mean I need to exercise it. All the instant torque comes in handy for navigating out of danger or merging. I dictate my position on the streets - thats the power of Tesla.

You didn't have a "contrarian" viewpoint. You came in as a know it all and disparaged Tesla owners as a troll despite knowing nothing. You really are going to roll into a premier auto form for auto cars like Tesla and show off your VW econobox? Really??

There's having a contrarian viewpoint and having a respectful discourse on the merits of various vehicles and alternative choices.

And then there's bridge burning and mouthing off. Even as a TSLA shareholder I'd rather ban people like you from owning Tesla's than making an extra dollar.

You can just watch all these cars pass you by.

Reactions: Runt8
I had high hopes for it... but no gauges is ridiculous. Pass.
Joe, thank you for your insightful post. You've made me feel terrible about my reservation and now I may go out and cancel mine because after thinking about it, gauges are the number 1 aspect of a car that I NEED. I was number 7 in line at the Denver store on March 31st, 2016. After waiting this long, I think it's a well thought out and rational decision to cancel a month before the official reveal. Thank you SO MUCH for helping clear my head and see the diesel/smog-filled sunshine. You truly are an angel of God.