Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceled my Model 3 Reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um yeah. I can go anywhere in the U.S. 24/7 and 365 days a year as there are diesel gas stations EVERYWHERE. No need to wait for my car to charge or be worried of running out of a charge and being SOL. I didn't think this was a discussion on Hondas. Thought this was a Model 3 forum-- you know- the car with a battery with a limited range?

So clearly you were never a serious buyer. Clearly. The reason you initially gave, gauges, was just a cover. Move on.

A vw diesel? Good to see you're still looking after the environment! ;)

Will you be getting a license plate "COALPWR" for your coal burning electric vehicle? The #1 source of electricity in the U.S. is coal. But please proceed to tell me how your SPECIFIC car will be powered by windmills built with locally sourced drift wood or by solar panels built without Chinese slave labor using only environmentally clean Chinese energy sources.

Well it must be nice living in a country not even half the size of Texas. Here in the U.S. we travel much greater distances than you. My diesel is truly unlimited range and I don't have to plan my life around my car's battery.
Then why did you ever put down a deposit in the first place? Were you unaware the Model 3 is electric?

Porsche GT4 you find so interesting.

2016 GT4's still selling for over MSRP. No used Model S or Model 3 would ever sell for over MSRP as Teslas are mass produced appliances. 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4

*Manual transmission -- How can I lean back, both feet flat on the ground on the long commutes, being able to crack open a can of beer and relax? I'm getting used to the robot taxi idea even though I like driving.

Yes this is exactly who will be buying the Model 3. People who are not driving enthusiasts and are upgrading from a Camry.

*Sportwagen - Model 3 can get to 0-60 TWICE in the time it takes your little econobox to get there once.
Yes because flogging my car 0-60 is what I do at every stop light. Electric cars are good for city puttering around. Diesels are king of the highways. Think you'll get anywhere close to your max range going a steady 75mph on the highway? Fat Chance.

*Fuel Economy - You win. Model 3 gets 0 miles per gallon of gasoline. Kind of unfair since it doesn't take gasoline.

My diesel doesn't "take gasoline" either. You do know the difference between diesel and gasoline don't you?

*Tax payer subsidies - I'm ok with paying the EV subsidy for your Model 3. If you don't want me to, you can pay for mine and everyone else here.
I'm not OK with subsidies but it was already stolen from me and I was hoping to get some of it back by buying a Model 3. But when I saw the reveal I decided this Drone-Taxi appliance was too awful for me to stomach even for the tax incentives (if you are even lucky enough to be one of the early ones before they run out).

I hope Elon permanently bans you from ever being able to buy a Tesla.

Thanks for the kind words. I wouldn't expect anything less from a trendy Tesla Fan boy who can't handle a contrarian viewpoint.

Why not skip the imagination and just take an Uber or Lyft. It's pretty much the same driving experience.
Tesla uses Uber for transport to and from the Service Center. It's a convenient way to return home and enjoy driving my other Tesla EVs during the annual service.

Having driven a Model S since November 2012, there is nothing to compare with the thrilling acceleration and extreme regenerative braking during each drive. Driving up the steep mountain roads and descending from the summit without shifting or pressing the brake pedal is the ultimate in driving perfection. RWD or AWD, both vehicles are amazing. No wonder Consumer Reports gave Model S their highest rating:

Tesla Model S P85D Earns Top Road Test Score

Reactions: MXWing
And when is ~45 mpg fantastic? Or 236 lb-ft of torque is massive? The Chevy Bolt has 266 lb-ft of torque and 119 MPGe. And the Model 3's base performance specs are better than the Bolt's. Add to it the commentary about tax payer subsidies, and I'm thinking the OP was never serious about getting a Model 3. Oh, and to get those performance numbers it requires the 2.0 liter turbo diesel (cough, cough) and that's extra cost, putting the price closer to starting at $25k. Add in some basic safety equipment and so forth, and the price difference after incentives with the Model 3 is pretty small.

The 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen has 271 lbs of torque after the fix (5% increase) and multiple users reporting 58 mpg. The MSRP for the base model is $25k minus the $5k incentive puts you at $20k. Plus they offer 72 months 0% financing which is worth a few thousand.

Plus driving a diesel with a manual transmission is incredibly fun. At $35k before options there's NOTHING the Model 3 offers that I couldn't get right now with a VW TDI for almost half the price. Yes some will argue with the federal and state credits it brings it down CLOSE to the TDI in price but there are WAY too many assumptions that the incentives will even be around depending on potential delays and your spot in line.

2015 VW GSW TDI
Unlimited Range, no stress on how much diesel is in the tank. Fill ups take 120 seconds.
Good acceleration.
Amazing Highway performance
Joy to drive with a manual transmission (good for resale value as manuals are being phased out)
Not a guinea pig. VW Mk7 + diesel platform has a long history.
High quality interior.

Model 3
$35k base
Interior looks like a taxi drone.
HEAVY (4000 lbs?)
Great acceleration
Constant stress about battery + You will plan your life around the battery
Highway driving not so good (drains battery FAST as energy requirements per mph gain goes up drastically)
Guinea pig for first gen (YOU WILL PAY FOR THE PRIVILEGE TO BE A BETA TESTER)

Conclusion:
Does that mean that I will never own a Tesla? No... if they start making a product a driving enthusiast would like I will consider them. I have been a member of this site a lot longer than most of these Johnny come lately Tesla Fan boys that are now attacking me. I drove the original Model S (60, P85, etc) and was quite pleased with it however at the price point of the P85 I did not see it's value and opted for the Porsche GT4 which will have much more long term value. I stood in line early that day they opened reservations for the Model 3 and was very hopeful it would be an affordable fun electric car. But when I saw the direction Tesla was going (no gauges in front of driver) I knew this taxi-drone like appliance would not be suitable for my driving enthusiasts needs. Happy to have everyone who really wants one move up a spot.

Will you be getting a license plate "COALPWR" for your coal burning electric vehicle? The #1 source of electricity in the U.S. is coal. But please proceed to tell me how your SPECIFIC car will be powered by windmills built with locally sourced drift wood or by solar panels built without Chinese slave labor using only environmentally clean Chinese energy sources.
Since this appears to be the troll-feeding thread du jour, I should contribute a note that a grid-powered (coal or otherwise) BEV will beat most gas/diesel cars on the road, in nearly every part of the country, in terms of overall emissions. Take a look at Nikki's review of the latest UCS report on emissions:

And, if you had done your research, you would have noted that natural gas has passed coal as the #1 source of electric power.

Enjoy your meal... :)

Having driven a Model S since November 2012, there is nothing to compare with the thrilling acceleration and extreme regenerative braking during each drive.

Oh yeah? what's the Nürburgring time for the Model S? Oh right there is no time because it can't complete the course without going into limp mode due to overheating. Model S is fun for puttering around town and amazing your Camry owning friends but leave the real performance driving to real sports car companies like Porsche.

Joe12pack, you must be one of the most uninformed buyers I've ever seen. All your rants are things you should have known when you put down your deposit.

If not, it absolutely should have been crystal clear long before this. All of a sudden the 3 does nothing right and everything wrong? Really? Your open hostility toward the 3 is either disingenuous or you are incredibly naive.

Congrats for starting the most useless thread I've seen on this forum.

Last edited:
Well it must be nice living in a country not even half the size of Texas. Here in the U.S. we travel much greater distances than you. My diesel is truly unlimited range and I don't have to plan my life around my car's battery.
I don't plan my life around my cars battery any more than I plan my life around my phones battery. I've had my Tesla for a week and I've driven 800 miles. That's 40k miles annualized. Haven't had any range anxiety and I've loved every mile.

My other car is a diesel with a manual transmission. Already it feels like driving a steam tractor. I can't even imagine how it must feel like in a year...

And, if you had done your research, you would have noted that natural gas has passed coal as the #1 source of electric power.

Yes you are right. Nat Gas just passed coal. Does that make Tesla owners feel better their cars are Nat Gas/Coal/Nuclear powered?

Major energy sources and percent shares of U.S. electricity generation at utility-scale facilities in 2016
  • Natural gas = 33.8%
  • Coal = 30.4%
  • Nuclear = 19.7%
  • Renewables (total) = 14.9%
    • Hydropower = 6.5%
    • Wind = 5.6%
    • Biomass = 1.5%
    • Solar = 0.9%
    • Geothermal = 0.4%

Joe12pack, you must be one of the most uninformed buyers I've ever seen. All your rants are things you should have known when you put down your deposit.

If not, it absolutely should have been crystal clear long before this. All of a sudden the 3 does nothing right and everything wrong? Really? Your open hostility toward the 3 is either disingenuous or you are incredibly naive.

I knew the Model 3 would be a boring appliance and I was OK with that if I got mine early enough to get the ~$10k Federal+California state credits. But when I found it would not have ANY gauges in front of the driver that was not something I am OK with. I see from your join date that you are another Johnny come lately Tesla Fan boy. I'm sure you will enjoy the Model 3 coming from a Camry/Accord equivalent econobox as you just don't know any better. But it's your money (+tax payer subsidy money) and you can choose to spend it how you like. I choose not to spend my hard earned money on this taxi drone product.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: KJD, mmd and Ken7
Luckily the OP found out about the absence of gauges. Because of that, he miraculously also discovered the M3 runs on electricity, has to charge, is getting subsidies in some places, and doesn't have a manual gearbox, things he didn't think of when he placed his reservation (early morning in line at a store, so we'll more or less all get our car one hour earlier now, so let's all be happy about that).

What I am wondering: do you get 18% off a new VW diesel if you show the dealer how you have done your best to pollute/intoxicate the Tesla forum :)?