Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceled my Model X order . . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to mention, good luck with getting that Electric Hummer charged up on the road. People seem to forget about the moat that is the Supercharger network for Tesla. Charging outside of that network is clunky and hit or miss at best, and that is what GM will have to rely on. Let’s all hope that no one is able to nail down a deal with Tesla to share use (which I highly doubt), but that is really the only way that those vehicles become viable to a mass audience in the short term.
Wow, the arrogance is thick in here. Replace "Supercharger network" with "stables" and you would be quoting the horse industry in the early 1900's. How well did that work out for them? Just like gas stations in the early 1900s, charging stations are a chicken and egg problem that will be solved. At some point Tesla will have to compete with equivalent products. Based on my very long relationship w/ Tesla, I can tell you that customer service has been continuously declining over the last 9 years. That won't end well for them.

Wow, the arrogance is thick in here. Replace "Supercharger network" with "stables" and you would be quoting the horse industry in the early 1900's. How well did that work out for them? Just like gas stations in the early 1900s, charging stations are a chicken and egg problem that will be solved. At some point Tesla will have to compete with equivalent products. Based on my very long relationship w/ Tesla, I can tell you that customer service has been continuously declining over the last 9 years. That won't end well for them.

In the short term the other poster is right. There is no viable charging network other than Tesla's in the US right now. That may change, but it will be a few years.

Reactions: posity and Ryshaw
In the short term the other poster is right. There is no viable charging network other than Tesla's in the US right now. That may change, but it will be a few years.

Can someone explain this to me a bit better? I mean, in some detail? There are lots of public charging stations around - and, at least in California (where I am) - quite a few Level 3 (non-Tesla) chargers. I've seen quite a bit about people complaining of Tesla throttling the charging speed at SuperChargers - and am starting to wonder whether this is truly an accurate statement . . . or, if Tesla's network is just "better" than the other available chargers.

Can someone explain this to me a bit better? I mean, in some detail? There are lots of public charging stations around - and, at least in California (where I am) - quite a few Level 3 (non-Tesla) chargers. I've seen quite a bit about people complaining of Tesla throttling the charging speed at SuperChargers - and am starting to wonder whether this is truly an accurate statement . . . or, if Tesla's network is just "better" than the other available chargers.

The Tesla network is what it is. A known quantity that Teslas cars can receive information about as you drive. And you can just pull up and fast DC charge your Tesla. For the most part you plug in and they work. Plus your car will navigate to them and pre-heat the battery if necessary to give you maximum charging rate. Also, as you travel you get updates on consumption and projected battery percentage at arrival. Also, you get constant updates of number of stalls in use at the Supercharges. All of this is displayed on the in car moving map.

My experience with other networks has been hit or miss. There some fast DC chargers, but the only ones that work with a Tesla are the few Chademo and then only if you have (or they have one at the charger) the $500 adapter. CCS2 does not work with a US made Tesla plug. So you are back to A/C charging and hours to charge.

As for non-Tesla vehicles, they can use the CC2 and it seems to work well, but the density of CCS2 fast chargers is rather slim. And they seem to be in a chicken and egg problem. By me, in Livermore CA they have 12 CC2 chargers including a 350 KW unit at the outlet mall. And right next to it 20 Supercharges. On any day you will see the Superchargers being used, but there are often from 18 to 2 or 3 open. But at the same time, you almost never see the CCS2 chargers in use.

Reactions: Ryshaw
Depending on how you define viable. Tesla has just shy of 800 SC that are in operation. Electrify America has just hit 400 locations in the US. I think that's pretty viable if I were driving a non-Tesla EV that had level 3 charging capabilities. That's not even factoring in all the level 3 and 2 ones out there, networked or not.
I do think Tesla SCs give the best user experience. Most, if not all, of the other ones would require activating the charger via app or credit card, which isn't as seamless, but it does charge up the cars.

Depending on how you define viable. Tesla has just shy of 800 SC that are in operation. Electrify America has just hit 400 locations in the US. I think that's pretty viable if I were driving a non-Tesla EV that had level 3 charging capabilities. That's not even factoring in all the level 3 and 2 ones out there, networked or not.
I do think Tesla SCs give the best user experience. Most, if not all, of the other ones would require activating the charger via app or credit card, which isn't as seamless, but it does charge up the cars.

The faster EA catches up, the better.

Yeah, but how many DC Stalls does Electrify America have?
Looking on their site it looks like around 1600 DC Stalls.

Tesla hit 15,000 DC Stalls in December.

But Electrify America has no worries, they have 1/10th the stalls and I NEVER see them used.
They are also VERY expensive.

Reactions: posity
Yeah, but how many DC Stalls does Electrify America have?
Looking on their site it looks like around 1600 DC Stalls.

Tesla hit 15,000 DC Stalls in December.

But Electrify America has no worries, they have 1/10th the stalls and I NEVER see them used.
They are also VERY expensive.
I’m not saying EA is better or anything. I’m just saying that for a non-Tesla owner, there are charging options out there that would get them to place where they previously couldn’t, which I would consider to be somewhat viable.
DC stalls are empty cause there aren’t that many cars to begin with and they are expensive as well. When I run into the free DC chargers, guess what, there are cars waiting...

One issue I have concerns with at Electrify America (EA) is it was created as part of the VW settlement for DieselGate. VW is being forced to spend $2 B on getting EA going. Once that money is spent and EA has to run on customer fees alone, what happens to expansion into new areas, maintenance of existing sites, and charging rates?

Back to OPs topic. I've been driving Tesla since 2016 and even back then every Tesla issue was attributed to "growing company". You really can't/shouldn't use this anymore. I now feel that bad customer service, unresponsiveness, broken promises, uneducated/uninformed SA and CAs, inability to speak to a live person for customer service, no service loaners, warranty term changes after vehicle purchase, etc are all part of their long term strategy. I love Tesla cars when they work and hate what they did/are doing to the company. If you are okay with this, buy the car. If not, more on.