Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceling Model 3 for inventory X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just feels wrong canceling my model 3 (first day reservation) just a month or two before delivery.

I found a model X inventory deal, but curious what others have done with their reservation. I know you can’t transfer the reservation but is there anyway that makes economical sense to buy the 3 and flip it?

Not looking to profit, but looking to get someone into a car earlier. Only way I can think of is to buy it myself (and pay tax) then sell it as a “used” car. Then that person pays sales tax. Doesn’t seem to make sense.

You're helping Tesla by buying a more expensive vehicle which they can deliver sooner and which is already at its 25% margin (vs. Model 3 which will only be hitting breakeven in a month or two). You're helping people in line for the Model 3 by letting them get their vehicles sooner. What's the downside? Scalping isn't being a help (if you can even turn a profit at all)

• Love
Reactions: Olds442 and tyking2
I found a model X inventory deal, .

That's good if it's a car you like because I just checked and there are ZERO cars on Tesla's new inventory site.

Also there's a chance the EV tax incentive will be gone after the first of the year. Hopefully you will be getting delivery before then.

I know you can’t transfer the reservation but is there anyway that makes economical sense to buy the 3 and flip it?

Personally I wouldn't bother with it. It will end up being a PITA for little or no gain.

Last edited:
The house version has the tax credit removed

"Now the bill is going to the House, which has its own version of the bill that removes the EV tax credit,"
The $7,500 electric vehicle tax credit is still in danger as Senate passes tax reform [Updated]

Whoops, I misread that (it's a bit confusing when they use the word "removal" rather than "repeal", because "removal" sounds like removing something from a bill). So it's in the House bill but not the Senate bill then.

It just feels wrong canceling my model 3 (first day reservation) just a month or two before delivery.

I found a model X inventory deal, but curious what others have done with their reservation. I know you can’t transfer the reservation but is there anyway that makes economical sense to buy the 3 and flip it?

Not looking to profit, but looking to get someone into a car earlier. Only way I can think of is to buy it myself (and pay tax) then sell it as a “used” car. Then that person pays sales tax. Doesn’t seem to make sense.
You should hold onto it until they ask you configure. In your case you can stay in line and defer until the AWD version comes out. I would do it that way. I own an S and have a 3 on order.