Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceling my 2 reservations ! Why ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in New Hampshire. I've been a Tesla evangelist for quite some time. I own stock. I've been having money automatically put aside for a down payment on a Model 3. I've hung on to my Camry for a few extra years in order to get a Model 3. I have 2 reservations.

I'm VERY disappointed in today's announcements.

We were told the final interior would be "like a spaceship". Now it's one screen, no HUD. That's not a spaceship. That's a garden variety laptop.

We were told highly optioned models would come first. Now it's no dual motor / AWD until way later.

Elon said you don't need another screen when you do lots of autopilot. True. But that's another $8000 right now on the Model S!

I don't think NH was going to have access to the Model 3 much before AWD will be available, a couple months wait maximum.

Can't help you with the spaceship...literally no context around that remark.

I'm not concerned with the dual motors but I can understand why someone in a winter climate who was counting on the full fed tax rebate for their AWD M3 would be very upset right now.

The center screen is the bigger issue for me. I dislike large screens in cars, even in the MS. Somehow they made it even MORE in your face in the M3. I think it will be like someone in the passenger seat is constantly holding up a macbook in your peripheral vision saying "hey look at this!" That combined with no central instrument cluster might make me cancel my reserv. You spend all your time in the cockpit of the car. If that part isn't designed properly you're not going to like the car.

And I feel like they chickened-out by smoothing out the duck lip on the front. That was the coolest part. Why did they respond to negative feedback about that, but ignored all the negative feedback about the center screen?

Last edited:
Reactions: zenmaster
I'm not concerned with the dual motors but I can understand why someone in a winter climate who was counting on the full fed tax rebate for their AWD M3 would be very upset right now.

The center screen is the bigger issue for me. I dislike large screens in cars, even in the MS. Somehow they made it even MORE in your face in the M3. I think it will be like someone in the passenger seat is constantly holding up a macbook in your peripheral vision saying "hey look at this!" That combined with no central instrument cluster might make me cancel my reserv. You spend all your time in the cockpit of the car. If that part isn't designed properly you're not going to like the car.
Don't worry, you can kick back, relax and close your eyes, it will be driving it's self. :rolleyes:

Too early to judge but I feel a little disappointed also. I do not care about AWD coming lated as I am April 4 reservation holder from Europe :). By the time my turn comes, it will be sorted...

What I am more sad about is that the duck front is gone as it seems. Made the car unique, techy, bold statement of efficiency and I really fell in love with the looks. M3 on the video looks much more as an ordinary car to me... If the front is gone, SAD... I thought they would not compromise on that.

What I am really concerned about is one screen only/no HUD. I have Audi A7 now with active cruise control, lane assistst and HUD. It is so reassuring to know that the car "sees" the car in front, so you don't panic. Not having the info available SUCKS big time... And by the way, what happens to the spaceship like controls?

Am I gonna cancel my reservation? Of course not. Will I buy the car? Will see. It is hell a lot of money for a car. Needs to fit my needs. (In)patiently awaiting Reveal part 3 :)

1.I am very dissapointed about the lack of a 2nd screen or a HUD as it was rumored
I don't need a car like this ! This is a dumb decision from Elon, add a freakin 2nd display and rise the start price by 500$-1000$ or at least make it a freaking option !

2. No Dual motors at start, soonest would be 2018 summer which we know it would in fact be later !

Really dissapointed i'm canceling my 2 reservations right now !

P.S. Did you guys see the Lucid Motors AIR ??
Now that is a freaking awesome care, more awesome that the S itself ! Tesla should STEP UP the game now not lower it !

Oh God the lolz are so intense on this one. Once you get down to the mass market the type of person posting - changes. I love it so much. This post should go in the hall of fame.

So you cancel a reservation for a car you could have gotten this year, because of rumors you wanted to be true. You are disappointed that AWD wont be available until 2018. Then you mention a car that doesn't release until 2019, and doesn't have a factory. And you have only seen the version of that car that will be in excess of $100k.

For his own sake I'm glad the OP canceled his reservation since it didn't really serve any purpose other than to give Tesla a free interest loan. He wasn't going to get the Model 3 any time soon. He wasn't ahead of any of you including me. That's saying a lot since I don't have a reservation.

Why didn't I get a reservation since I knew that was likely going to be my next car?

It's pretty simple - There was no timeline of when I would get it or what the interior would look like.

I'm also pretty picky about cars.

Why did I almost skip on the Model S? Cause it had a stupid steering wheel mounted shifter.

I still hate it. I feel like some kind of grandpa every time look at it. I should have gotten the air suspension to have the cushy grandpa floaty suspension to go with it.

I imagine I'll hate a single screen as well. Sure it makes since for automated driving, but it's a little hard for me to see Tesla achieving that anytime soon when we don't even have a good navigation system in the S. Although the good thing about one screen is you can't have TWO different navigation systems showing you conflicting maps at the same time. That's a fun one in the S.

I'm not sure it really matters though since I anticipate third party HUDS that connect up to your CAN Bus, and phone will take off. Where they'll be really good and can show a lot of the information for normal driving.

Lack of AWD at start is really no big deal. I'm sure they will add it eventually.

Overall I think the Model 3 is looking pretty awesome, but I have to admit, the thing that I dislike the most (out of a very short list of dislikes) is the lack of instrument cluster. Speculation on a HUD was fun, but I'm not convinced it would really work as an instrument cluster anyway. Might be nice as an option later in production maybe, but might just feel more like a gimmick than something you would use regularly.

I'm also not a fan of the landscape display. Landscape is fine on a desk, but in a car, your windshield is the display and the console is basically just a sidebar menu. Sidebar menus need to be in portrait layout. I think landscape will be awkward. I'm sure I could get used to it though.

Everything else looks really solid, and I would definitely consider getting a 3 for my next car. I know I would feel much better about buying a $45K car than I would an $90K car.

There wasn't much *news* yesterday, mostly confirmations of rumours and guesstimates. The biggest *news* was that the Model 3 will be compatible with roof racks. Even so, I do feel a bit disappointed, and I can understand that others do too. As long as we were dealing with rumours and guesstimates, anything was possible. Reality can't always compete with one's imagination. I think it's for the best to get a reality check.

I didn't know that 400k was global reservations. That means many of those outside North America will get theirs even later than someone in North America who puts a deposit down today?

I still drive an 02 Civic manual transmission and friggin Honda Canada did not even equip it with a tachometer.

I think that one iPad Pro in the middle will suffice. Fewer tablets to breakdown. My only issue is whether checking the speed will as quick as when I'm looking at the information on the instrument cluster. Speed is most important on city roads so I don't go over the limits by too much. But then speed is slower so reaction time going from the center display to the road shouldn't matter much. On the highway, it's most follow the flow of traffic and with a Tesla, I would no longer be driving on the rightmost side of the road at 70.

I think even the BMW i3 has but two of those tablets (faintly recall when I test drove to avail of a $100 gc offer)

Last edited:
As a Model S owner I have to disagree with the anti-large screen crew here. At first I thought I might not like it but I have learned to love it! Everything you need, every control is in one place, with assistance from the wheel controls. Easypeazy. No HUD doesn't bother me but i can understand the disappointment. Though I think it will have a HUD eventually. Just an opinion.
Many people have asked me "isn't the screen distracting?" Not at all. Like any new car you just have to learn and get used to the different quirks. Say it again, I LOVE it!

But damn! One 5 second video and a couple of Elon tweets have given us weeks to complain, opine and kill time :)

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
As a Model S owner I have to disagree with the anti-large screen crew here. At first I thought I might not like it but I have learned to love it! Everything you need, every control is in one place, with assistance from the wheel controls. Easypeazy. No HUD doesn't bother me but i can understand the disappointment. Though I think it will have a HUD eventually. Just an opinion.
Many people have asked me "isn't the screen distracting?" Not at all. Like any new car you just have to learn and get used to the different quirks. Say it again, I LOVE it!

But damn! One 5 second video and a couple of Elon tweets have given us weeks to complain, opine and kill time :)
I believe most of the complaints are that it will be the only screen. Imagine all the info you have behind the steering wheel removed, and then added to a center screen that has ~52 less square inches.

Haven't canceled and hope I don't need to. The Big Problems I had with the Model S (cost, overall size, poor headroom and low interior quality) have been mostly addressed in the Model 3. It's more affordable. Check. It's not a barge. Check. By all accounts headroom is improved. Check.
The quality of the interior is still an open question, and the single screen is part of that equation. If it seems solid and ergonomic, then fine. If it looks like someone superglued a Samsung Galaxy tablet to a stick and called it "Job done," then no. Not fine.
Robin

• Funny
Reactions: anonim1979
I live in New Hampshire. I've been a Tesla evangelist for quite some time. I own stock. I've been having money automatically put aside for a down payment on a Model 3. I've hung on to my Camry for a few extra years in order to get a Model 3. I have 2 reservations.

I'm VERY disappointed in today's announcements.

We were told the final interior would be "like a spaceship". Now it's one screen, no HUD. That's not a spaceship. That's a garden variety laptop.

We were told highly optioned models would come first. Now it's no dual motor / AWD until way later.

Elon said you don't need another screen when you do lots of autopilot. True. But that's another $8000 right now on the Model S!

Being on the east coast I doubt the AWD delay will have much impact on New England states. I placed my reservation site unseen so had no expectations of HUD. Frankly I think once people see how they implement the single screen and its placement where your looking above the dash and towards the center it won' be as big a deal as people are making it out to be now.