Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe, this is the main reason with most of the complainers.

This is likely the cause. I think the OP really wants to buy the car, but can't convince himself, probably has wisely not spent abovep price point on a car, and the logical part of him says "no".... but deep down, he wonders... and he wants the rest of us to convince him to buy it. Little did he know that his logical and investor brain was so eloquent and greatly appealing and dare I say, sexy? that buttershrimp realized he really just wants to be more like the OP and less like that Elon McFailerson Musk....

So buttershrimp listened to the OP.... and determined there is only one solution....

Cancel...

my...

Order!

The Marketers make a valid point -- so many car purchases are impulse purchases.
The Model 3 delays have let doubts rise to the surface.

Not for me though.
I am not a car person, and I was never swayed by car passions.
I just want to support Tesla and drive EV. So it is Model 3 or what I already have.
Delays do not affect my choice.

Reactions: Lem89 and nvx1977
The model 3 has pretty much exceeded my expectations. There really is nothing that compares. It's half the price of a model S and 80% of the vehicle. Tesla won't be making a Carolla class vehicle. They will leave that to the Chinese and Japanese. Tesla is the Apple of the auto industry. Higher end, higher quality higher performance and higher price. This is by choice and part of the master plan. Tesla cannot make and sell every EV needed to solve the mission of the master plan. They must force the competition to respond in kind by attacking their highest margin models. They have. The model 3 is the next progression in this force. In the military it's called a force multiplier. It's a soldier or weapon system that allows for more with less. Green barats are a good example. They go into hostile territory and work with locals. They train them and supply them with Intel and targeting. Every green barats is worth 100 or even 1000 enemy soldiers. The model 3 is worth 100 competing models. Model Y and the pickup will be similar. You think traditional autos where freaked out when the S consumed market share in the double digits, wait till they see what model 3 will do in the millions. Model Y and the picked will dwarf the impact of the model 3. Force multipliers.

This is likely the cause. I think the OP really wants to buy the car, but can't convince himself, probably has wisely not spent abovep price point on a car, and the logical part of him says "no".... but deep down, he wonders... and he wants the rest of us to convince him to buy it. Little did he know that his logical and investor brain was so eloquent and greatly appealing and dare I say, sexy? that buttershrimp realized he really just wants to be more like the OP and less like that Elon McFailerson Musk....

So buttershrimp listened to the OP.... and determined there is only one solution....

Cancel...

my...

Order!

I think you nailed it!

For me. for the second time I've let heart win over head (first time was for my wife!).

• Funny
Reactions: buttershrimp
Perhaps the OP would consider a CPO RWD AP1 S85 just in off-lease with 60K miles to go before the 100K mark. SCing included and a price point of $45K mas o menos.

Better value than a M3 even after credit/rebate, lower TCO several different ways, nice stable AP features, and, as importantly, it buys 3 years of time until FSD exists and matures.

Just a thought. Your mileage may vary :).

Reactions: buttershrimp
Yes, OTA updates are cool, but jamming most of the functions into the software interface is a serious safety hazard. I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road while hunting through menus. Sure, once the interface stabilizes and I'm up on the learning curve, that isn't a problem, but until then it's flat out dangerous.

It’s really not. Go try it.

I’m not going to elaborate again, but here:
It's a good thing TMC does not design cars

Reactions: bhzmark
Maybe if I was younger and used to texting while driving instead of watching the road, this wouldn't bother me so much.
Yes, maybe if you were much younger and texted while driving like virtually all younger people do this would be the car for you. I must admit I have wondered if old guys like you and me should be driving Teslas. In fact I think I may sell both my S and 3 and get something more age appropriate.

Maybe if I was younger and used to texting while driving instead of watching the road, this wouldn't bother me so much.

Nobody is used to texting while driving. It’s dangerous when anybody does it.

The Model 3 and it’s “take your eyes off the road” interface are built for a future that isn’t here yet: when the car is doing the driving. Until then, it’s unsafe.

The model 3 has pretty much exceeded my expectations. There really is nothing that compares. It's half the price of a model S and 80% of the vehicle. Tesla won't be making a Carolla class vehicle. They will leave that to the Chinese and Japanese. Tesla is the Apple of the auto industry. Higher end, higher quality higher performance and higher price. This is by choice and part of the master plan. Tesla cannot make and sell every EV needed to solve the mission of the master plan. They must force the competition to respond in kind by attacking their highest margin models. They have. The model 3 is the next progression in this force. In the military it's called a force multiplier. It's a soldier or weapon system that allows for more with less. Green barats are a good example. They go into hostile territory and work with locals. They train them and supply them with Intel and targeting. Every green barats is worth 100 or even 1000 enemy soldiers. The model 3 is worth 100 competing models. Model Y and the pickup will be similar. You think traditional autos where freaked out when the S consumed market share in the double digits, wait till they see what model 3 will do in the millions. Model Y and the picked will dwarf the impact of the model 3. Force multipliers.

It is called Corolla and green Berets.

As of this point, I will wait to hear more details regard pricing of Dual motor and if it will offer for short range version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddyroe
Issue is that many people got caught up in the $35,000 Tesla that would be perfect in every way.

My slightly different perspective is that people got caught up in the "$35,000 Tesla - $7500 federal credit - $ state incentives = TESLA FOR TOYOTA $. It was theoretically possible for a Model 3 to cost about 25k, not too far off the base price of a Toyota Camry.

The options pricing mostly demolished this. Want a color other than black? + $1000. Want range that gets closer to an ICE? + $9000. That autopilot everyone is talking about? + $5000.

If it's too good to be true, it usually isn't true. Model 3 was always going to be BMW 3 money, not Toyota Camry money.

I think Reciprocity has nailed the key difference. When many of us heard $35k we equated that to "simpler" and "less complex". I do think Tesla nailed that on many fronts. The overall design is simpler (and maybe more reliable) than the Model S and X. They just couldn't resist adding in complexity where its not warranted though. Why wouldn't mechanical door handles work? Why can't it just have a normal lock on the trunk/frunk? Why does it have an iPad on a stick? The answer to all these questions is "because it's a Tesla!" They don't do simple and they don't do normal. It's honestly why I fell in love with the Model S initially. It's just so different.

However, when it comes to my $$, I just couldn't make myself buy the headaches that come along with being that different and innovative in a less mature platform. I'll admit to being frugal (cheap), but that's also why my family can live so comfortably on two professional salaries. Once the Elon Distortion Fog cleared a little, I realized that I was about to plunk down about $55k on a car I wasn't really excited about anymore and that would probably upset me because I'd be obsessing over every little paint swirl and misalignment. I'd also be frustrated every time I had to make the 1.5 hour drive to the SC to get things tweaked. I'd also be a little disappointed every time I had to explain to the backseat passengers how to use the glass hammer to escape the vehicle in the event of an accident.

For my money, I was really hoping for something simpler in the Model 3. I don't even care about the screen and would gladly take the type of display the roadsters have in them in exchange for a Dual DIN slot for an aftermarket stereo. I don't want electronic door handles. I don't want an electronic glovebox. I don't want a "sporty" ride. I do want a glass roof (giving that up was a heartbreaker). So, given all those, apparently I don't want a Tesla. At least not this Tesla. I was hoping for a Tesla Civic that could go 300 miles. But Tesla don't make Civics, my mistake.

I think that they've gotten the "different" down to a science on the Model S. The car is mature and things have improved greatly (doorhandles, drive units, etc) and I'm hoping that the same happens with the 3. I still hope Tesla does well and my next car may still be a Model S. If I'm paying that much, I may as well go all the way and get a luxury car and enjoy that luxury ride. At least there are mechanical override handles for the back doors in the S so I can skip the hammer part of the safety briefing for backseat passengers :).

Yes, maybe if you were much younger and texted while driving like virtually all younger people do this would be the car for you. I must admit I have wondered if old guys like you and me should be driving Teslas. In fact I think I may sell both my S and 3 and get something more age appropriate.
I hear there is a new Buick so you might want to check into that.

• Funny
Reactions: T34ME
I doubt the OP's primary concern was cost. More a collection of issues - some small, some not- that tipped the balance. Some of those issues will get ironed out as the design matures, too.
Robin

Cost ("too expensive") was the second reason on their list, which I take at face value.

For me, the least expensive Model 3 that I would be happy with is $46k + tax.

$35k for the base model, +9k battery upgrade, +1k different color, +1k delivery/docs = $46k. I don't need the PUP upgrades, although they would be nice, and Autopilot isn't necessary either. OTD (out-the-door) pricing at this level is close to 50k... without the nicer features and Autopilot. Even if there is no primary concern, cost is a major concern.

I agree with Reciprocity that Model 3 is a big step forward in that it provides most of the capability of a Model S, at half the cost. However, a 50k car is still very expensive, even for people in the upper middle class.

This was discussed elsewhere, but another factor is that not everyone has $7500 in federal tax liability, which is necessary to claim the entire credit. For people who are paying interest on a home mortgage and student loans, and have dependents, federal income tax liability can easily fall well below $7500.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
My slightly different perspective is that people got caught up in the "$35,000 Tesla - $7500 federal credit - $ state incentives = TESLA FOR TOYOTA $. It was theoretically possible for a Model 3 to cost about 25k, not too far off the base price of a Toyota Camry.

The options pricing mostly demolished this. Want a color other than black? + $1000. Want range that gets closer to an ICE? + $9000. That autopilot everyone is talking about? + $5000.

If it's too good to be true, it usually isn't true. Model 3 was always going to be BMW 3 money, not Toyota Camry money.

It still is Tesla = Camry for the $35k model without fed tax credits as long as you factor in residual value, fuel savings and maintenance. I have done the math on this forum a dozen times, not doing it again. Gene Munster did a similar analysis that you can search for as well, but left out some factors such as residual value. Adding solar to the equation can bring the base model 3 inline with a Corolla if you in own long enough (10 years).

And don't forget that every day-one reservation holder should have at least some tax credit. There is also a legitimate push to fix the tax credit as it is going to unfairly benefit those European and Chinese companies that have large import duties on us cars and who never did anything to push EVs forward. In fact they have had to be dragged kicking and screaming (crying really) into EVs.

I believe Tesla had the right formula to make people do the match on TCO to see the value of the model 3 vs your average Camry or Accord. When people see how sexy it looks and how fun it is to drive, they will get real good at math all the sudden. And they will find ways to justify it. Like no more Starbucks or cheap cellphones every two years instead of a new $1k iPhone every year. Or packing healthy lunch instead of eating out.

Reactions: insaneoctane