Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceling Tesla Solar order, seeking input on third party install and different panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Tesla order for a 12kW system and 2 powerwalls. Time from design to site assessment was 6 months and I started to get cold feet reading about the lack of post-sale support from Tesla - my main concern was what if an inverter goes out and I'm stuck paying an energy bill for months waiting for a fix when I've already shelled out tens on thousands to not have to? So I'm probably going to cancel and try to find a local place that would use microinverters.

Energysage has been giving me a lot of quotes and SolarOptimum seemed pretty competitive. Their quoted price for a 12 kW system with new Enphase microinverters and two powerwalls was right in line with Tesla's but they were quoting for Solar4America 410-108MH10 panels. I know that that company declared bankruptcy during COVID and were acquired by SPI but I'm hesitant to get the first run of this restructured company's panels.

Here are the panel specs:

Am i right to be wary of these? Should they be alright? Should I have them quote me on something like an REC panel? Is SolarOptimum a good company?

@Vines can you please weigh in here?

I would ask to visit the Solar Optimum shop, meet the people there and see their operation.

I talked to another TMC user a local up in the bay area who used them, and the workers who showed up were not employees of Solar Optimum, but contract employees in an unmarked truck.

If, after visiting their shop, you see a fully engaged construction company that looks like they will be in business for 10-20 years I might trust them to be around long enough to replace any of the defective low-tier panels.

Here's a list of the PV modules which are eligible for interconnection in California, I do not see any Solar4America or SolarOptimum listed so not sure if they aren't yet listed or what. https://solarequipment.energy.ca.gov/Home/PVModuleList I have not heard of a case where an entire manufacturer doesnt occur on this list, but occasionally a new model might not be approved and that seems reasonable for a large PV company with hundreds of different SKU. For the entire manufacturer to not yet exist I would certainly pump the brakes.

Reverse searching for the part number it appears that Solarjuice American has very similar part numbers so maybe this is all on the up and up but I've never heard of them.

Overall, you get what you pay for. Tesla Energy and Solar Optimum might be the cheapest game in town but what do they sacrifice?

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
I would ask to visit the Solar Optimum shop, meet the people there and see their operation.

I talked to another TMC user a local up in the bay area who used them, and the workers who showed up were not employees of Solar Optimum, but contract employees in an unmarked truck.

If, after visiting their shop, you see a fully engaged construction company that looks like they will be in business for 10-20 years I might trust them to be around long enough to replace any of the defective low-tier panels.

Here's a list of the PV modules which are eligible for interconnection in California, I do not see any Solar4America or SolarOptimum listed so not sure if they aren't yet listed or what. https://solarequipment.energy.ca.gov/Home/PVModuleList I have not heard of a case where an entire manufacturer doesnt occur on this list, but occasionally a new model might not be approved and that seems reasonable for a large PV company with hundreds of different SKU. For the entire manufacturer to not yet exist I would certainly pump the brakes.

Reverse searching for the part number it appears that Solarjuice American has very similar part numbers so maybe this is all on the up and up but I've never heard of them.

Overall, you get what you pay for. Tesla Energy and Solar Optimum might be the cheapest game in town but what do they sacrifice?
I researched a bit and apparently Solar4America was acquired by Solarjuice/SPI Energy so that's why the part numbers match up. But you're correct - I don't really trust these new panels to live up to the specs since the company is just out of bankruptcy restructuring. They might be great! But I don't think I want to take the chance. Thanks for the input.

I don't know the companies in SoCal, but I would recommend someone who uses LG panels. My Seattle installer used them + Enphase microinverters.
Disagree, LG stopped making panels this year. LG to close solar business - what does this mean for people who have or want LG solar panels?

Also LG Chem batteries that were installed in the field are becoming a real issue to return, despite the clear direction from the manufacturer not to use many of them anymore. They don't have enough product to replace the defective home batteries with new safe batteries. The installers who put them in customers houses arent happy about the delays and neither are the customers.

Last edited:
I had a Tesla order for a 12kW system and 2 powerwalls. Time from design to site assessment was 6 months and I started to get cold feet reading about the lack of post-sale support from Tesla - my main concern was what if an inverter goes out and I'm stuck paying an energy bill for months waiting for a fix when I've already shelled out tens on thousands to not have to? So I'm probably going to cancel and try to find a local place that would use microinverters.

Energysage has been giving me a lot of quotes and SolarOptimum seemed pretty competitive. Their quoted price for a 12 kW system with new Enphase microinverters and two powerwalls was right in line with Tesla's but they were quoting for Solar4America 410-108MH10 panels. I know that that company declared bankruptcy during COVID and were acquired by SPI but I'm hesitant to get the first run of this restructured company's panels.

Here are the panel specs:

Am i right to be wary of these? Should they be alright? Should I have them quote me on something like an REC panel? Is SolarOptimum a good company?

@Vines can you please weigh in here?
FYI. Tesla do price match. They priced match my system

I researched a bit and apparently Solar4America was acquired by Solarjuice/SPI Energy so that's why the part numbers match up. But you're correct - I don't really trust these new panels to live up to the specs since the company is just out of bankruptcy restructuring. They might be great! But I don't think I want to take the chance. Thanks for the input.
If you are a Costco member, Sunrun has a Kiosk in the stores. We went through Costco and got Sunrun to install our system. We got a $2100 cash card after install along with the tax credit. we have a 9.45Kw system with 2 powerwalls. So far this fall, since the end of Oct, we have had ZERO grid draw because the powerwalls are charging to 100% almost every day.

I'm going with a local company to install a 12kW system using Panasonic 400 panels, Enphase IQ8A's, and 2 Powerwalls. Price is about 20% higher than Tesla but they're infinitely more responsive, communication is excellent, the panels are better, and I'm more comfortable with the idea of micro inverters on each panel vs 2 string inverters. The price for the solar isn't even outrageously different than Tesla's - the main cost increase is the price of Powerwalls from an authorized dealer vs. from Tesla.

I'm going with a local company to install a 12kW system using Panasonic 400 panels, Enphase IQ8A's, and 2 Powerwalls. Price is about 20% higher than Tesla but they're infinitely more responsive, communication is excellent, the panels are better, and I'm more comfortable with the idea of micro inverters on each panel vs 2 string inverters. The price for the solar isn't even outrageously different than Tesla's - the main cost increase is the price of Powerwalls from an authorized dealer vs. from Tesla.
Just my 2 cent, what if this company goes out of business lets say in 10 years. Your warranty is zero. I had my neighbor who went through this situation. I would say go with a reputable company where they will be in business for long time.

Just my 2 cent, what if this company goes out of business lets say in 10 years. Your warranty is zero. I had my neighbor who went through this situation. I would say go with a reputable company where they will be in business for long time.

I think it's a crapshoot. I'd say go with components that are easy to support and manufactuerers that are larger, their components are widespread. Tesla is pulling out of many markets already and large installers go away too. Tesla will start subbing for more installs. Even reputable companies (and not so reputable ones) will go away.

Sullivan Solar just disappeared and took everyone's money and they weren't "small", of course, they were unreputable, but who knew?:

Bottom line is every company can go away and after NEM3.0 in CA, you can bet a LOT will shut down after their initial surge prior.

My advice is get components from manufacturers that will still be around so at least the manufacturer can still send parts to whoever is needed since ultimately, they're the ones providing the parts/warranty service, NOT the installer. You can probably use other installers if needed.

I had an issue with my system recently and I called my installer, they told me to wait. I called Enphase directly and we debugged it and got it working again from 1st person I reached on their phone line.

I think OPs price is great and I wouldn't bet Tesla Solar can get the job done before NEM3.0 is done. From reports, they won't even file the paperwork to get you grandfathered in NEM2.0.

I had Panasonic panels with integrated Enphase microinverters installed by a Panasonic authorized installer when I did my second solar install. When installed by a Panasonic authorized installer the panels and microinverters are covered by Panasonic's TripleGuard warranty which is for 25 years parts, labor, and performance.

I got slightly burned by my first solar install in 2009. It was a large company that got bought out by a Chinese company that basically pulled out of the solar market and now focuses on crypto mining. They soon shut down their website that supported production monitoring. Technically they aren't bankrupt but I bet I'd struggle if I wanted to get some panels replaced under their 25 year warranty.

Last edited:
I thought about this long and hard. Here's why I ended up going the way I did.

1. The company warrants their work, has plenty of great examples of their work, is very highly reviewed across all platforms I could find, and has been in business since 1999.
2. They also include a third party warranty policy from a company called Solar Insure which is good for 25 years (assuming the warranty company stays in business).
3. The Panasonic panels come with a 25 year warranty backed by Panasonic that covers the panels, racking, and inverters for 25 years as well as the labor to fix any problems. I don't think Panasonic is going anywhere.
4. The Panasonic panels are guaranteed to produce 92% of their original power after 25 years vs. the Tesla Q.Peak panels only guaranteed to produce around 86%. They are also more efficient than the Tesla panels.
5. I like the idea of using micro inverters on each panel vs. two Tesla string inverters, especially with the stories I've heard of Tesla taking months sometimes to warranty fix problems. If I have an inverter go bad (unlikely but possible) that's half my solar grid down until they get around to fixing it, vs. if a micro inverter goes out, it's just that panel.
My Tesla experience was different, quite responsive. They are overwhelmed with business and installations, however.
With mine, it took 6 months from design approval to site assessment. I'm still trying to get grandfathered into NEM 2.0 and with the time Tesla was taking it definitely wouldn't have happened. I signed the papers with the local company today and have my site assessment on Wednesday.

I thought about this long and hard. Here's why I ended up going the way I did.

1. The company warrants their work, has plenty of great examples of their work, is very highly reviewed across all platforms I could find, and has been in business since 1999.
2. They also include a third party warranty policy from a company called Solar Insure which is good for 25 years (assuming the warranty company stays in business).
3. The Panasonic panels come with a 25 year warranty backed by Panasonic that covers the panels, racking, and inverters for 25 years as well as the labor to fix any problems. I don't think Panasonic is going anywhere.
4. The Panasonic panels are guaranteed to produce 92% of their original power after 25 years vs. the Tesla Q.Peak panels only guaranteed to produce around 86%. They are also more efficient than the Tesla panels.
5. I like the idea of using micro inverters on each panel vs. two Tesla string inverters, especially with the stories I've heard of Tesla taking months sometimes to warranty fix problems. If I have an inverter go bad (unlikely but possible) that's half my solar grid down until they get around to fixing it, vs. if a micro inverter goes out, it's just that panel.

With mine, it took 6 months from design approval to site assessment. I'm still trying to get grandfathered into NEM 2.0 and with the time Tesla was taking it definitely wouldn't have happened. I signed the papers with the local company today and have my site assessment on Wednesday.
What is the name of the local company and where?

got a quote from solar optimum as well for $2.78/watt with the same panels with IQ8M, also worried about solar4america.
If you are a Costco member, Sunrun has a Kiosk in the stores. We went through Costco and got Sunrun to install our system. We got a $2100 cash card after install along with the tax credit. we have a 9.45Kw system with 2 powerwalls. So far this fall, since the end of Oct, we have had ZERO grid draw because the powerwalls are charging to 100% almost every day.
what's the price for your sunrun system? they quoted me quite high years ago

got a quote from solar optimum as well for $2.78/watt with the same panels with IQ8M, also worried about solar4america.

what's the price for your sunrun system? they quoted me quite high years ago
ya, a bit high, $64k. But, that was 27 panels, 2 Powerwalls AND fixing our roof, (lift and relay. Replaced underlayment and 20 tiles, plus vent covers.) We got a $2100 cash card from Costco and $17500 tax credit, which we put $12k onto our loan. So, $52k after tax credit.

Reactions: Xpert and h2ofun