Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CANCELLED EVENT: Join Florida Tesla Enthusiasts for a Weekend Getaway at Hawks Cay in the Keys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Hawks Cay landing-page-4000x1400-lagoon-01.jpg

NOTE: This event is only available to members of Florida Tesla Enthusiasts (FTE). If you live in Florida and want to learn about the club and join, please visit our website at teslaownersflorida.org and click the Join Us link. If you have questions, contact me at [email protected].

Hawks Cay Resort, Villas and Marina, located on Duck Key in the Middle Florida Keys, is the premier destination for outdoor fun in the sun. Situated roughly halfway between Key Largo and Key West at mile marker 61, this 60-acre, tropical paradise is easily accessible yet feels worlds away from everyday life.

Already a recipient of the prestigious AAA Four Diamond Award and a member of the Preferred Hotel Group Lifestyle Collection, Hawks Cay has raised the bar with a multi-million dollar renovation. This resort-wide enhancement includes updates to 177 guestrooms and suites, 15 meeting rooms, the 85-slip marina and all public spaces, including the kids’ club and Pirate Ship Pool. Other additions include The Oasis, an exclusive adults-only area with five private cabanas at the Tranquility Pool; two luxury penthouses; and 16 family suites.

Hawks Cay Resort Map.jpg

Room Rates

We have obtained exceptional group rates of $189 per night plus 12.5% taxes. (Normal rates start at $306 per night.) These rates are available for a limited time and are contingent on reserving 10 rooms for at least two nights. Additional nights can be booked at this rate subject to availability at the time of your request.

You need to register before July 31st to be eligible for this deal.

Included in room rate:
  • Resort Fee waived
  • Complimentary Wireless Internet
  • Complimentary Self Parking
  • 10% discount at Angler & Ale, Beach Grill and the Tiki Bar
  • Complimentary Access to Coral Cay Health & Fitness Club
  • Tram Transportation throughout the Resort
  • Unlimited use of Putting Course, Sports Field, Hard and Clay Court Tennis Facilities
  • Daily Newspaper
  • Local and Toll Free Calls
  • In Room Coffee
The club will be entering into a binding agreement and will be liable for the number of contracted room nights. After you register, if you cancel you may be subjected to a cancellation fee to recover the club's incurred costs.

After you register for this event, and when we meet the contracted room minimum, you will receive instructions on how to schedule and book your stay. You will be paying the resort directly for your room and any additional ancillary services.

Please do NOT contact the resort to book your room until we provide you with the special booking instructions to obtain your group discount.

Hawks Cay dolphin-connection-4000x1400-handshake-02 (1).jpg

Resort Activities & Attractions

• Five Pools & Saltwater Lagoon
  • Dolphin Connection™
  • Beach Sunbathing alongside the Lagoon
  • Award-Winning Calm Waters Spa
  • Full Service Marina with 85 Boat Slips
  • Offshore & Inshore Fishing Charters
  • Certified & Licensed Dive, Snuba™ & Snorkel Trips
  • 8 Tennis Courts Fitness Center
  • Water Sports, including: Kiteboarding, Kayaking, Jet Skiing & Parasailing
  • Island Segway Tours
  • Award-Winning Coral Cay
  • Coral Cay Activities and Adventures
Hawks Cay Restaurants & Bars
  • Alma
  • Beach Grill
  • Angler & Ale
  • Bar at Alma
  • Ocean Restaurant
  • Coffee Bar
  • Coral Grill at Coral Cay Activities and Adventures
  • In-Room Dining
  • Personalized Event Menus & Catering
  • Tiki Bar
  • Ice Cream Store
  • Dockside Store
Pools

Resort Pool:
The Resort Pool features entertainment, exciting all ages games and competitions, on-site food and beverage service, and spectacular Atlantic Ocean views.

Tranquility Pool:
Reserved for guests 21 and older, the oceanfront Tranquility Pool provides a newly renovated private setting with exclusive cabana rentals where adults can layout, cool off, and take advantage of some alone time.

Pirate Ship Pool:
The Pirate Ship Pool features slides, water cannons, raining palm trees, and shallow areas that are perfect for new swimmers.

Coral Cay Pool:
The Coral Grill provides nearby snacks and refreshments, and tropical landscaping creates the ideal serene setting for our morning fitness classes like yoga and aqua yoga.

Sunset Pool:
Tucked away behind Hawks Cay’s Sunset Village, Sunset Pool is the perfect location to take a refreshing morning swim, relax with a good book, or just sit back and admire the beautiful ocean and sunset views.

Saltwater Lagoon:
Enjoy your own private ocean at Hawks Cay’s enclosed Saltwater Lagoon. Snorkel and search for small tropical fish; soak up the sun on your sandy beach; paddle around on kayaks or stand up paddle boards; watch dolphins jump and play at Dolphin Connection, located just yards away; and keep a look out for sea turtles swimming by in the clear waters of the harbor.

Electric Charging

The resort has one NEMA 14-50 outlet compatible with your Mobile Connector.

The resort is 68 miles south of the new Supercharger Station at Florida City and 10 miles north of the Marathon Supercharger Station.

Last edited:
Larry, can you give us more info about signing up; a deadline for final commitment; etc.
Hi Todd,

Our deadline for signing up is July 31st. As a club member all that you have to do is login to our website with your email address and password. Then click on the Events main menu item and select this event. You will then receive an automated message giving you a phone number to book your night's stay. Due to the popularity of this event, it would be prudent to book your room as soon as you receive the booking information.

I will also probably also send out a final reminder to the membership soon.

Larry

Headed down there in August. Would love to make the Oct date, but we've already got plans that weekend (and don't have the model 3 yet).

In my opinion, making two and from Florida City should not be a problem. Keys traffic is usually slow, so you shouldn't be burning that much energy to get down there and back.

Headed down there in August. Would love to make the Oct date, but we've already got plans that weekend (and don't have the model 3 yet).

In my opinion, making two and from Florida City should not be a problem. Keys traffic is usually slow, so you shouldn't be burning that much energy to get down there and back.

First, let me say congratulations on your Model 3, but why wait for delivery to join our club? Just click on the link in my signature to be invited to other upcoming events.

As you say, the round trip to the Florida City Superchargers should only take about 118 rated miles of range. In addition, the resort is also only 10 miles from the Marathon Superchargers. I've also been in touch with the management, and they are interested in the possibility of installing Tesla Destination Charging Equipment.

Larry

For Florida Tesla Enthusiasts club members who registered for this event:

Right now it is likely that we will have to cancel or postpone the event.

Authorities are not letting anyone, including residents, beyond about milepost 75. Our resort is at milepost 61 roughly 14 miles beyond the barricade and currently inaccessible.

The Monroe County Emergency Management Officials have provided only sketchy information so far.

The resort is waiting on the Emergency Management folks to make a determination.

When I have meaningful information I will inform everyone who has registered for the event. In the meantime, I don’t plan to cancel my personal reservation yet and would recommend that others wait for my update.

Larry

Rather than cancel this event I would rather postpone it if possible.

I have been in contact with the management at Hawks Cay. They inform me that “…the resort took minimal damage all things considered. It is a mess as you can imagine and is going to take some time to restore."

However, they won’t be able to host us in either October or November of this year.

I asked them to send me a new contract for the weekend of Friday, February 16th in which there is a Federal holiday on President’s Day, Monday, February 19th. I also asked about how they intended to handle deposits.

I have just receiveD the following response:

"We currently do not have staff on-site nor access to our systems in order to process any refunds, however as soon as we are able, we will be 100% refunding deposits.

We will be back with you on revised dates. It may be a couple of weeks or so but I will circle back around to you."

When I have more information from Hawks Cay I will send out another update.

Larry

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this event has been cancelled indefinitely and deposit refunds are being processed.

The resort management informs me, "The resort is going to take time to restore. We are currently doing the laborious process of making full assessments room-by-room. With that being said, we are able to look at reschedule dates beginning in January 2019 and beyond."

The 2019 is NOT a typo.

Larry