Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled Maintenance Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strike one with Tesla Customer Service...

Here is the email response:

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Support. We apologies for the delay in responding to your email. I reviewed your previous case with your cancellation request. The plan was reviewed and due to the mileage driven after you had taken delivery was the reason your refund was that amount. The 4 year plan is good for 80467 km, 4 uses, or 4 years, whichever comes first. I do apologies for any confusion on this matter, however after review and verification the refund amount is correct for the cancellation.

----
So, a couple of things... when I purchased the plan, I had about 40,000km on the car (November 2017). So, when I did my first service, I had about 50,000km. When I tried to do my second, I had about 77,000km on the car, but they wouldn't book an appointment for me!!!

Right now, I have just under 81,000km on the car (he's right about that) but the car and the plan was not new. This is a CPO car!!!

Strike one with Tesla Customer Service...

Here is the email response:

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Support. We apologies for the delay in responding to your email. I reviewed your previous case with your cancellation request. The plan was reviewed and due to the mileage driven after you had taken delivery was the reason your refund was that amount. The 4 year plan is good for 80467 km, 4 uses, or 4 years, whichever comes first. I do apologies for any confusion on this matter, however after review and verification the refund amount is correct for the cancellation.

----
So, a couple of things... when I purchased the plan, I had about 40,000km on the car (November 2017). So, when I did my first service, I had about 50,000km. When I tried to do my second, I had about 77,000km on the car, but they wouldn't book an appointment for me!!!

Right now, I have just under 81,000km on the car (he's right about that) but the car and the plan was not new. This is a CPO car!!!
Man, they did my first service at almost 35k KM, and my second at almost 55K KM, i wish they would awnser me that and shoved them my invoice in their face.

Reactions: Struja
I have a 2013 that I bought new and immediately purchased the extended warranty and service agreements. Slightly different than your situation but if the extra data will help ...

This last march when I was scheduling my yearly visit someone from the local service reached out to me to try and convince me to cancel believing that it might be in my best interest.

I wanted know what the specifics were before cancelling and got referred to global customer service for the answers. After getting the runaround with vague answers (not sure now much was intentional vagueness and how much was just bad communication skills) I finally spelled out my questions requiring specific answers and the response was

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tesla. I apologize for the delayed response, and any inconvenience this may have caused. We do not carry the specifics of your reimbursement as it is only determined once you cancel it. You will receive a pro-rated refund. Prices for completing the recommended procedures vary based on local labor rates, you would need to reach out to your local service center.​

and my response to the local service rep:

We have our (non-)answer …

I will not blindly cancel the contract without having any data detailing the effects of the cancellation … and they don’t want to give it so I assume that it is not something they really want to do and I’m tired of getting the runaround on this issue.

I will hold onto the original extended service agreement until it expires two years from now.​

@clea - That was smart. My approach was a bit different, insofar as I resevered my rights in my initial cancellation letter. At the time, I really felt like I was being "duped" so I took steps to protect myself. Here is the letter I wrote to tesla which accompanied by cancellation forms:

----------------------------------

I am submitting this letter in addition to the cancellation form for two reasons: First, is to provide you with more information and second, is to reserve my rights in connection with the maintenance plan.

I was told over the phone from the service centre that Tesla would no longer be honoring the maintenance contract which I paid $3,051 for (4-year contract). In order to get a refund, I was told that I had to complete the within form which states that I am cancelling the contract, which is in fact not true. Tesla has terminated the agreement; I am simply completing this form so that I can get my refund. I therefore reserve all of my rights, should I not be satisfied with the outcome of my refund.

As for the refund… I purchased the 4-year maintenance plan on November 11, 2017. I was told I should get my first service within 12 months or 20,000km of the purchase date. So, I scheduled my first (and only) maintenance appointment for April 19, 2018.

At that appointment, I received the following services:

· Replaced wiper blades (I just did this at home last weekend), parts cost $60 at Canadian Tire and it took me about 6 minutes.

· Key Fob battery (also did this myself last week). Cost was $2.50 for both batteries.

· Cabin Air filter replaced.

· Cleaned and Lubricated Panoramic Roof Assembly

· AC service and replaced desiccant cartridge (cost is about $35)

· Brake fluid flush (Can be done between $89 and $149 locally)

My estimate is that the full cost of all of these services would be no more than $500 (on the high end), including labour.

Two weeks ago, I called the Mississauga Service Centre to get my second year of service of the 4-year agreement and they told me Tesla no longer honours the service agreement and that I needed to wait for a refund. It was only after I contacted Customer Support that I was told that I needed to “cancel” the agreement.

So, I am writing this letter to advise that I only received about ½ of 1 year of service and my refund should reflect that amount. In the first year, I requested an alignment (which was in the service agreement) but Tesla refused to do it.

They did minimal work on this vehicle and I paid more than $3,000.00 and my expectation is that my refund reflects how little work was done on this car. I also want to make clear in this letter that I will reserve my rights to dispute the refund given to me if it does not reflect the reality of how little work was done on this vehicle.

As an update... I am now 5 emails and two phone calls into Customer Service and I am still getting nowhere. I suspect I will be in small claims litigation with Tesla in about two weeks and if I have to go that route I will also be seeking damages for breach of contract and my legal costs.

As an update... I am now 5 emails and two phone calls into Customer Service and I am still getting nowhere. I suspect I will be in small claims litigation with Tesla in about two weeks and if I have to go that route I will also be seeking damages for breach of contract and my legal costs.

Just wondering, have you been able to connect with a manager/Canadian division leadership about this?

Sounds like such an easy fix for Tesla to make it right once the right person gets involved.

Reactions: Struja
what I find strange in all of this is that they, in essence, refused to service your vehicle ... they never refused to service mine. I think I might have gotten lucky this time because they couldn't refuse my appointment. There were some specific warranty related things to be fixed plus at least one service recall to perform at the same time as my yearly service. I thought something was up when they switched some of the work to a mobile service rep and that is when I started my process to ensure that all of the service items to be done in my plan were respected and they suggested instead I might prefer to get a refund instead of having this unnecessary work done (based on their new policy).

Reactions: TrevTremaine
should also mention though that when i actually got to my service appointment, the service reps at the center said that there would never be an issue with them respecting the extended service agreements ... we'll see what happens next year.

should also mention though that when i actually got to my service appointment, the service reps at the center said that there would never be an issue with them respecting the extended service agreements ... we'll see what happens next year.
I would have kept the plan but they unilaterally cancelled my appointment in Mississauga. I wasn't given the opportunity to continue because I would have if permitted.

You know, why not approach the Lawrence centre and discuss your situation. They might be able to help out. I'd say that the Mississauga location reneged on it's obligation at least once without reason. Someone screwed up but you shouldn't be out of pocket for it.

One of the requirements of appealing a claim is the contact Lawrence, so I sent them a letter last week Thursday (by snail mail - because when I called them, they said that had no fax number???). So, I have decided to wait to see if they will reach out to me.

At the end of the day, if they want their $700 cheque back, I am happy to give it to them, to get my 4 years of maintenance. I NEVER wanted to cancel. I would also be happy with 75% of my money back. Either solution is acceptable to me but neither is being offered so far.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
One of the requirements of appealing a claim is the contact Lawrence, so I sent them a letter last week Thursday (by snail mail - because when I called them, they said that had no fax number???). So, I have decided to wait to see if they will reach out to me.

At the end of the day, if they want their $700 cheque back, I am happy to give it to them, to get my 4 years of maintenance. I NEVER wanted to cancel. I would also be happy with 75% of my money back. Either solution is acceptable to me but neither is being offered so far.
Have you tried escalating on MyTesla?

Have you tried escalating on MyTesla?
Yes, I kept getting the same flunkie who was writing me incoherent email after incoherent email. I asked to speak to a manager to no avail.

I finally got a response from the Mississauga SC today (they were forwarded my letter that went to Lawrence). I spoke to what sounded like my first sensible person today. I explained everything to him and he agreed with me and did not understand Tesla’s refund or position. Unfortunately, he does not have the power to issue a refund but he said he would “make some calls” and let me know next week. So, I am back in a holding pattern.

i have a Model X (Nov 2017) and purchased the 4 year maintenance plan in April 2018 as we were having a number of issues with the car and we felt we wanted to be proactive with any Tesla service. We did the first annual appointment in October 2018. My experience with that was similar to the OP, in that they did very little. I believe the list price was around $500 US. Crazy expensive for next to nothing.

When I was at the service center for other issues in April 2019, I asked about their stance on ongoing annual service. They told me that things like flushing the battery fluid had turned out to be useless - that the fluid they were draining out looked just like the new fluid they were putting in. Thus the Tesla engineers have determined it is not a needed service.

I am more than happy to cancel and get a refund for the remaining 3 services that have not been used. It was all overpriced and happy to recover the price I had paid for the next 3 services. I submitted my cancellation on May 2. They have acknowledged receipt of my cancellation but I’ve not seen a refund yet.

I actually came to the forum to search on this topic because I am curious if anyone understands this statement in the terms and conditions:

“Tesla will add a ten percent penalty to any applicable refund per month that is not made within 30 days of Tesla’s receipt of all necessary documentation for the cancellation of the Maintenance Plan.”

This sounds like they are guaranteeing the refund within 30 days or else they will give me a bigger refund? There doesn’t appear to be any necessary documentation beyond the 1 page request to cancel form. ADDING a PENALTY seems unusual terminology to me in reference to a refund they owe me.

Also, does anyone have a copy of the services that were to be performed each year? I thought that was once spelled out (with prices) but it seems to have been sucked into a cyberspace black hole.

so i cancelled my plan for Nov 2016 Model S AP2 - I got back $600 this month with no warning the amount would be that low. I had it serviced twice but did not take it in the third time as I was hearing mainteance is not needed and assumed I would get 1/2 or 2 services worth back. The explanation from tesla is that I should have by now (40K) used 3 maintanence plans and I would have only 1 left by mileage and got $600. I asked them (and Haven't heard back yet) how come they didn't notify me of the amount and where does it say in the contract that I would have to use the 3rd plan up before cancelling?

They are really screwing ppl over with this. I've asked them to comp me a 3rd service and I will call it even. No reply.