Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled Model S order, bought a Plug-In Prius

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you talk about the process of getting your deposit back? I'm not going to do it, but I know someone who is thinking about it. How easy was it? How long did it take? Any thought to investigating trading your spot? (I know it's been discussed here and pretty much ruled out, but the person I know who is thinking about canceling has a very low P number).

All but I think one specific model of one brand fails in stop-and-go traffic. ACC without s&g is fairly useless around Seattle. I'm hoping that when Tesla does offer it, they have a retro-fit available and they do it right with stop&go.

+1 for voting with your wallet
-10 for spending most of your time in the carpool lane burning gasoline
+5 for the fact that the Prius offers one of the most efficient gasoline engines

-5 for Toyota offering the PIP with such a limited plug-in range

+100 for moving me up a spot :smile:

For long trips that EVs can not make, the Prius is the obvious choice from an environmental standpoint, but the plug in range for it sucks (I'm very, very disappointed with them, Toyota could have done better)- the only reason to get it is the carpool lane benefit.

Personally, for me it's Tesla or nothing

Well, after doing a search, looks like we already had three separate threads all centered on Adaptive Cruise Control and whether or not the Model S would have it, how it should have it, how it's a deal breaker if it doesn't have it, and how it's disappointing that it won't have it.
Those have been merged and discussion about ACC should be done here: Adaptive Cruise Control

We also already have a thread on the Plug-in Prius and that is here: Toyota Plug-In Prius

William3... ACC can be considered a "want" that will only be used on long trips to reveal fatigue. The "HUD" can be dispensed with like a normal speedo it's only useful when gathering information on the speed and range of your car. Good luck and we hope to see back in line for that "S".

I think William3 made a great choice and has the ideal garage:
1. A cheap beater for around town duties (not that I would call the Leaf a true "beater", but it's all relative)
2. A long distance hauler
3. A fun car
And all 3 are as efficient as possible! My take on his reasoning was that the long range (in addition to ACC) was why he went with the PIP. We've discussed in many other threads the sensibility of having an ICE for the occasional long haul. Certainly replacing with Leaf with the S would have been better for our stock holdings, but the S doesn't fit the "cheap beater" role as well. Maybe in the future there will be a fourth category:
4. 4WD people/cargo mover (model X)

I have used the ACC on my father's E-Class Merc, and found it to be quite reliable. But I always get a kind of uneasy feeling when a car does too much on its own. So the S not having ACC at the moment would not be a dealbreaker for me. I rather miss other things small and large on the S but that's another story.

In any case I would never have bought a Prius. Not only is it friggin ugly, it sucks in almost any category. The only car that would come to my mind as an alternative would be an Opel/Vauxhall Ampera, known in the US as the Chevy Volt.

The 160-mile Model S will be slow and have short range.

I've no issue with anything you said there, except the slow bit? Actually I don't even have an "issue" just wondering if the Prius or Leaf are significantly faster than 6.5 seconds? I think the Karma is 6.3 , I'd heard about 7 for the Leaf and not sure about the PiP.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/02/review-a-week-in-a-2012-nissan-leaf/

Thanks to the low-end grunt, the Leaf posts a very respectable 2.92 second 0-30MPH time while the 0-60 time stretches out to 8.96 seconds (a considerable improvement over the 10.2 seconds the pre-production Leaf achieved in May).

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-03-25/lifestyle/29994790_1_ev-mode-battery-pack-nissan-leaf
Driving the Prius Plug-In is actually nothing like the Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt, even in EV Mode. While the Leaf feels surprisingly strong and torquey at stoplights, the Prius is a little sluggish, with few hints of that churning instant-on EV torque. The Prius can move respectably with most traffic in EV mode, though. Very carefully feathering the throttle at the three-quarter-or-so point before the gasoline engine comes on, we saw 60 mph take about 20 seconds from a standing start

Read more: 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In: Driven - Business Insider

Interesting choice, and I'm impressed that you got you hands on the PIP already...this clearly wasn't a spur of the moment decision or you paid a handsome premium to get it "off the shelf".

You may or may not know that I'm quite the Prius fan/maven, long time moderator at Priuschat.com, official "Prius Expert" on Facebook. But even I have had a bit of a hard time getting super excited about the PIP. Particularly considering your intended use for the car I can't quite understand why you'd pay the premium for the PIP instead of just getting a regular lift-back. The larger pack seems to offer little advantage to you for the intended long trip use you described. Would've saved you nearly $10k.

I'm not trying to be critical, just honestly trying to understand the thought process for the decision.

You're spot on. The LEAF is my beater (and it is a lease). The Prius is the long distance hauler and has much greater range than the Model S. The Roadster is the fun car and is way faster than even the fastest Model S.
Just like a lot of you guys, I also own a bunch of Tesla stock. I hope they have a bright future.

The LEAF and the Prius both have an annoying bug in the radio software.
When using a USB thumbdrive with a bunch of music on it the radio can only see the first 255 songs in each folder.
My music collection is stored on my home computer in just one giant folder.
I had to write a program that would divide it up into 255 song chunks just so that my cars could deal with it.
The Kenwood radio in my Tesla Roadster also has this bug.
I hope the Model S doesn't have this problem.

I love where the charge port door is on the LEAF.
I hate where the charge port door is on the Prius.
I hate (even more) where the charge port door is on the Model S.

The Prius window sticker says that it uses 29 kWh per 100 miles.
Does anyone know roughly how much the Model S uses?

As previously noted, your garage is commendable.

Are you the sole driver for all three cars? If not, how many drivers share/use the three? I ask because it would appear more cost effective to have one Model S Performance than all three. Of course, if your household has more than one driver, you may need multiple cars. While the Model S performance is not as fast as the Roadster, does not have ACC, and has the least optimal charge port, the cost benefit of one Model S Performance would be significantly less than the sum of the three.