Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled Model S order, bought a Plug-In Prius

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arguments over tech toys are silly. That's not what makes a great car. I'm more concerned with how the Model S drives. There will be enough techno toys; I don't need to have every single feature ever devised by an automaker.

While I do like ACC, it's a modest convenience. Not having it certainly isn't a show-stopper. Of course your opinion may vary.

In contrast, I consider the PIP's EV mode extremely weak. Frankly I'd much rather have a Volt. I can't see why anyone would want a PIP except perhaps to get HOV access.

I wonder how much additional power all these fancy features might pull from the battery... acc, hud, power folding mirrors (obviously that one is a rare use in all), HID lights (don't those take quite a bit of power, respectively), and other gadgets.

I also wonder how much power the X falcon wings pull. I hope for a manual over-ride. Guess I'm a bit of an auto control-freak.

I wonder how much additional power all these fancy features might pull from the battery... acc, hud, power folding mirrors (obviously that one is a rare use in all), HID lights (don't those take quite a bit of power, respectively), and other gadgets.

I also wonder how much power the X falcon wings pull. I hope for a manual over-ride. Guess I'm a bit of an auto control-freak.

HID lights are probably the lowest wattage (power draw) full headlight solution right now. LEDs are by some metrics better but they are pulling 35W or more.

As for everything else it won't noticeable affect your range. The amount of power needed to drive the car is huge. The only thing that will really affect range noticeably is HVAC. Other than that is is the way you drive and the weather/terrain you drive it in.

In contrast, I consider the PIP's EV mode extremely weak. Frankly I'd much rather have a Volt. I can't see why anyone would want a PIP except perhaps to get HOV access.

That's a good point. William why not get the new Volt that has full HOV access? I would guess that you have had the PiP in the works for a while.

Though with your funds I would get the new Volt, have the interior de-plasticized and then sell the PiP. 40 Electric miles on your long trips is better than 5.

I buy a lot of cars so I'm somewhat well connected in that regard.

Also, full disclosure, the Model S isn't the only car that I cancelled because of "lack of adaptive cruise control". I also cancelled my Fisker order for the exact same reason.

Just out of curiosity: may I ask what line of work you are in if you buy/own/use such a lot of cars?
For comparison: I'm financial controller at a bank and I normally buy a car every eight to ten years! :smile:

Last edited:
I worked for Mercedes Benz for years and they were the first to have Distronic - a Doppler Radar adaptive cruise control system. It's hilarious to me that you based your decision on ACC. Is it cool? Yes. But not practical. There were alignment issues, sighting issues, etc. It just wasn't perfected yet. I can't wait to see how your Prius does! I'm sure your Prius is more advanced than a $150k Benz. Have we become that lazy? If you don't want to brake, accelerate, or pretty soon steer your own car I suggest a limo and a driver. That way you can make your non fat mocha frappuccino with whip cream on the way to work.

I worked for Mercedes Benz for years and they were the first to have Distronic - a Doppler Radar adaptive cruise control system. It's hilarious to me that you based your decision on ACC. Is it cool? Yes. But not practical. There were alignment issues, sighting issues, etc. It just wasn't perfected yet. I can't wait to see how your Prius does! I'm sure your Prius is more advanced than a $150k Benz. Have we become that lazy? If you don't want to brake, accelerate, or pretty soon steer your own car I suggest a limo and a driver. That way you can make your non fat mocha frappuccino with whip cream on the way to work.

As Doug said we have threads for ACC. These Wikis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_cruise_control point out reasons for CC that have nothing to do with being lazy such as keeping at a speed limit (Which an EV does perfectly, even downhill), fuel conservation (pretty important in an EV) and reduced fatigue.

ACC are laser or radar and even both. Technology has come along way since your time in 1998. We have electric cars to buy now.

...the Model S is a huge step down from my current Tesla Roadster. The Model S Performance edition is not as quick and just seems like a big heavy boat in comparison. Gosh, shoot me if I ever make that kind of downgrade.

Sounds like you're going to be surprised when Model S Performance does Laguna Seca or the saloom faster than Roadster Sport. Which, according to the Tesla employee who drove Roadster the fastest at Laguna Seca last year, is true.

As Doug said we have threads for ACC. These Wikis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_cruise_control point out reasons for CC that have nothing to do with being lazy such as keeping at a speed limit (Which an EV does perfectly, even downhill), fuel conservation (pretty important in an EV) and reduced fatigue.
Those are features of ordinary cruise control (which model S will have), not of adaptive cruise control. The "ordinary" cruise control on my 1999 Audi will properly engine-brake the car going downhill, to maintain the speed limit, and accelerate uphill, for the same reason; and it is critical for reduced fatigue on long trips. (Which is why my Model S is going to be my long-trip car, as my other gasoline car doesn't have any cruise control.)

As for "adaptive" cruise control as opposed to plain cruise control -- to each his own. What does it add? Noticing cars in front of you, *which is your job and which they test for when they give you a driver's license*? I think ACC is really only useful for drivers who are so tired or distracted that they shouldn't be on the road -- but there are an awful lot of those, and if you're one of them, for goodness sake get ACC so you don't crash into my expensive car. :wink:

I just noticed this thread, I am actually doing to opposite, going to trade in (or more likely sell to my sister) my Plug in Prius, and get a Model S :) It won't be anytime soon, as my reservation # is 10010

Congrats. See if they can push you back to Reservation number 10101. Wouldn't be that much of a delay.:smile: