TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Cancelled my Day-0 Model 3 reservation and bought an S

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by rpm001, May 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rpm001

rpm001 Member

While I think the 3 still looks great, I went to the showroom just to look around and do a testdrive of the S. Well, that was it. After driving and sitting in the S I was sold. The level of awesome is just too great. This was before all the anti-selling started. I'm supposed to be taking delivery of my S75D in mid-June and can't wait!

I'm hoping to get my $1k deposit back quickly so I can apply it to my model S downpayment.

• Like x 19
  2. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

Yay! moving 1 spot forward, probably 119,682 to go

• Funny x 13
    • Love x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

I get why you bought the S, but why did you cancel your model 3 reservation. You might change your mind and want two Tesla and you will have to wait 18 months.. haha. J/K congrats! I did something similar but kept my Model 3 res.

• Like x 1
  4. xmetal

xmetal Member

Congrats! I would have done the same long ago, but even the cheapest S that I could configure and be happy with is still far in excess of what I plan to spend on the 3, so I wait patiently....

• Like x 1
  5. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

I would keep that reservation. Might want a 3 also, might be able to flip an early 3 for a profit, etc.

• Like x 1
  6. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

Congratulations.

You should be able to just have them transfer the $1k deposit directly over to the Model S downpayment. That's what I did to move the $5k Model X deposit to over to my Model S downpayment. There's no need to have them send you a refund and then have to pay it back to them again.

Exactly. I actually had reservations for both a Model X and a Model 3 before I bought my Model S. I transferred the Model X deposit directly over to the Model S but kept the Model 3 reservation just in case. :)

7. rpm001

rpm001 Member

I would LOVE to be all-in on Tesla. I asked my wife if she wanted the 3 and she said it was too small for our kids stuff like double-stroller. She wants the X... But I definitely can't swing that without a major change in our finances. The S was already pushing the limits. Maybe the Y will be in the cards down the road.

If I knew I could transfer the reservation or something I would. I'm doubtful that flipping would yield any reasonable profit especially factoring in the hassle.

So while it made me a little sad, it's just $1k more against my S which makes me really happy. :)

8. Trips

Trips Member

Congrats! I should have bought a Model S in late 2015. At the time the Model 3 was only 5 months away and I thinking it would be a cheaper mini MS. Then it came out and looked great and production was pushed up years before I expected. Everyone thought of all the cool (HUD, Smart Glass, Spaceship Steering...) features it was going to have so I waited. Even after my hopes were recently dashed I am waiting to know for sure for another couple months.

• Like x 1
  9. rpm001

rpm001 Member

Even though some of those things are no longer present, I still think the Model 3 is going to be a fantastic car and I'm getting excited about it's release. This is the car that will change the world. We're literally witnessing history in the making here!

• Like x 2
  10. Reciprocity

Yeah, its like a Tesla products savings account really.

• Like x 2
  11. rpm001

rpm001 Member

I just mailed my DS and he said the deposit cannot be transferred as they're separate transactions. I'll ask him to double-check.

12. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

My Model X deposit was made in April 2015. I applied that deposit to my Model S downpayment when taking delivery in December 2016 without any difficulties. Maybe they have to handle things differently in Canada or perhaps the rules have changed. I think I've read other posts where people were able to move it over. In any case, I guess it's not that much hassle to get the refund and then pay it back again.

13. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

I tried to transfer my deposit for one of my two Model 3 reservations to my S purchase and they told me the same thing...they are being managed by different groups, and your $1000 deposit takes a while to get returned once cancelled.

14. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Strange the deposit cannot be transferred.

I also had a 3 deposit down but ended up purchasing an S. Same reasons as you. Bigger car is useful with family. Keeping the 3 deposit in place for the moment, not sure why, I can't afford another car at the moment, but its nice to dream.

I'm happy with my S decision.

15. rpm001

rpm001 Member

He came back with "It is not possible to do so. You should expect the money back in about a month or so. "

• Informative x 1
  16. Reciprocity

I think this is getting faster as it took about a week to get back my Solar roof deposit. Getting solar installed next month instead.

• Like x 1
  17. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Was just going to say this. I think they've worked the early refund kinks out. I got my roof deposit back in 6 days (credit card). (Roof wasn't economically feasible with asphalt shingles and Virginia cheap power :( . Don't even know if normal panels are! But that's another discussion!)

18. Big-T

Big-T Member

Congratulations man, I'm very happy for you. If I could float 80k I'd do it too.

• Love x 1
  19. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I did the same thing with one of our day 0 reservations back in August. It took about three weeks for the refund and it just went back on the card I charged it on.

20. Reciprocity

Your problems will be solved with 2 electric cars in your garage. Once you trade $300 a month in gas to $100 a month in electricity, or free solar it becomes much more effective. I know for me, it was the Electric car that drove my electric bill to a level that made solar payment much quicker and is why I pulled the trigger. My wife's van is half way through the lease then we are looking at the Pacifica because she only drives 900 miles a month but needs 7 seats and room for stuff.

I now really do see why Elon wanted to buy Solar City and it was far beyond just bailing out his other investment and cousin. EVs are going to drive solar to a new level, even though they are already being driven by eco friendly demand. The EV that goes to a non tree hugging, non environmentalist, non climate alarmist, will push those folks to look at solar more closely. This is the missing link. Its not even about the affordability or payback, because that already exists without an EV in most cases. The EV makes you think in a different way and almost pushes you to do things like LED bulbs and Solar, because of the shock of the electric bill. Even though you are still saving a ton of money on gas, its still a wake-up call. It's almost like people dont equate Gas to energy use because you MUST fill your car to get to work, even though you must also turn on your lights to see. The more something is not optional, the more it becomes out of sight and out of mind. Once you stop paying for gas but your electric bill nearly doubles, then it hits you over the head that solar might work for you. Again, this is even though solar would have probably worked for these buyers before they had an electric car, but this makes it almost unavoidable.

In short... more EVs will drive solar to new levels. If half the EVs are going to people without solar, then solar roofs and panels will become very appealing for those folks. A hundred thousand solar roofs is $50B in revenue for Tesla. Good luck finding a residential solar company with those kinds of revenues, the only one close was Solar City.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1