Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled my order today...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now, Tesla has only 2 production lines: One makes the LR AWD & Performance while the other the MR RWD. With US and Canadian demand winding down for those models, the production will be for foreign markets. Until that demand has been exhausted, or a new production line is built we will not see the SR in RWD or AWD form. My best guestimate is the earliest SR will be available in Sep 2019.

And as much as I was disappointed at not getting an SR by 2018, I'm over it now as I realize the cost savings are non-existent when compared to ICE cars as the high up-front price negates any gas savings. And that's without factoring in higher insurance, annual taxes in CT, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: adaptabl
Right now, Tesla has only 2 production lines: One makes the LR AWD & Performance while the other the MR RWD. With US and Canadian demand winding down for those models, the production will be for foreign markets. Until that demand has been exhausted, or a new production line is built we will not see the SR in RWD or AWD form. My best guestimate is the earliest SR will be available in Sep 2019.

And as much as I was disappointed at not getting an SR by 2018, I'm over it now as I realize the cost savings are non-existent when compared to ICE cars as the high up-front price negates any gas savings. And that's without factoring in higher insurance, annual taxes in CT, etc.

All modern manufacturers do flex production. Adding a different battery pack should not an issue on the existing production lines. The only reason to add extra production lines would be to increase capacity. It would be foolish for Tesla not to be able to adjust production to market demands at any time.

I do agree the SR model sell will be difficult as tax incentives are reduced. It appears most of the reservation holders reserved because of the $35K announced price less government incentives to have an out the door price of 25K in many areas after federal and states tax incentives. That may never happen unless Tesla reduces the price more than the Jan 1 price drop. Q2 and Q3 2019 might be pretty tough for Tesla as most of the Europe and China demand will be filled quickly in Q1 2019.

Reactions: electracity
All modern manufacturers do flex production. Adding a different battery pack should not an issue on the existing production lines. The only reason to add extra production lines would be to increase capacity. It would be foolish for Tesla not to be able to adjust production to market demands at any time.

I do agree the SR model sell will be difficult as tax incentives are reduced. It appears most of the reservation holders reserved because of the $35K announced price less government incentives to have an out the door price of 25K in many areas after federal and states tax incentives. That may never happen unless Tesla reduces the price more than the Jan 1 price drop. Q2 and Q3 2019 might be pretty tough for Tesla as most of the Europe and China demand will be filled quickly in Q1 2019.
As per Tesla's own recent admission, they are having a hard time making profits with the higher version of the M3. So it's easy to conclude that an SR M3 will be a tough sell for them. As to adjusting production to market demands, I think they have failed as they are unable to handle demand and customers like me have decided to wait rather than buy into the upsell.

• Funny
Reactions: adaptabl
"Tesla has lost my business!" - Person unable to afford a Tesla

No problem being upset at how things turned out. But your threat is meaningless. Just pull your money out and invest it elsewhere. In the meantime, TM3 will decrease in price so that it's in your purchase range. Works for everyone.

Last edited:
We reserved with the intention of getting the short range and I'm so glad we got the LR instead. The main incentive being the tax rebates, in CA it adds up to $10k, so basically the same price for a SR after the credits end - a no brainer for anyone in California. I'm grateful they made the LR available first, which enabled us to get it with the rebate, otherwise we never would have considered it. I use the extra range all the time, plus it felt extra special to get the car in its first year of production and have the novelty of driving around something new before they start popping up absolutely everywhere.

Because I waited in line on Mar 31st, 2016 for a SR AWD M3. Based on Tesla's production lines going from LR RWD -> LR AWD -> MR RWD -> MR AWD -> SR RWD -> SR AWD, my best estimate is putting me into late 2019 to early 2020 for this car. The fact that as one of the first customers to place an order, I'm going to be the last to receive it does not speak well for putting the customer first. Factor in the lack of tax credits by the time my M3 is produced and the gas savings no longer make it a tax effective option.

The above was my feedback on the cancellation form.

The M3 was supposed to replace my 2013 Subaru Outback, but I'll just keep it until a better option shows up. With that, goodbye and good luck.

-Avi
1. You cancelled reservation, not order
2. Congrats. You showed them

Reactions: pipestem
... plus it felt extra special to get the car in its first year of production and have the novelty of driving around something new before they start popping up absolutely everywhere.

yeah, that is so over, like bunnies now.

That really depends entirely on where you live. By your statements, I assume you both live in California, where I'm sure they are ubiquitous (recent sales breakdown supports this). In my neck of the woods I've only still seen a handful, and only one up close. They're still quite the novelty in my area.

That really depends entirely on where you live. By your statements, I assume you both live in California, where I'm sure they are ubiquitous (recent sales breakdown supports this). In my neck of the woods I've only still seen a handful, and only one up close. They're still quite the novelty in my area.

I thought they were still pretty rare where I live in Atlanta until the other morning when I saw no less than 6 model 3's, 2 model X's and 1 model S in a 1 mile stretch of road about a mile from my house - I guess we all decided to go to work at the same time :) Really surprised me to see that many in such a short time.

I live in Cali east - between Durham and Chapel Hill, NC - it's a very polarized state. On today's morning commute I was trading places with 2 M3s and one MS. There are at least 6 M3s at my work place, I was feeling left out. I looked up Antioch on the map, you probably are in an EV desert. That just means you get to be the pioneer.

Reactions: mattjs33

The SR will be an easy sell at $35k without tax incentives. Entry level premium ASP is $42k. It'd be right in the sweet spot.

People signed up in hope of the deal, but it certainly doesn't mean that it was the deal or nothing. In my case it's simply the difference between buying early or on a normal replacement schedule.

I live in Cali east - between Durham and Chapel Hill, NC - it's a very polarized state. On today's morning commute I was trading places with 2 M3s and one MS. There are at least 6 M3s at my work place, I was feeling left out. I looked up Antioch on the map, you probably are in an EV desert. That just means you get to be the pioneer.

I actually see a fair amount of S in the area, particularly around the north suburbs of Chicago (that’s where the wealth is). But a 3 in my area is still notable. Like the S was circa 2012-13.

• Helpful
It will be $35K. It's tough but Tesla and Elon are still saying $35K.

You don't drop the price of every other Tesla by $2K if you can't pull off the $35K Model 3.

I'm still strongly suspecting that most of the AP hardware will be eliminated on the $35K car and Tesla will require you to upgrade to a $40K version with PUP to get the AP hardware. They could keep the front radar for emergency collision avoidance and use a cheaper version of the computer that does the EAP heavy lifting. They could put blanks on for all of the cameras and they could eliminate the ultrasonic parking sensors.

I guess it will come down to whether they can offer a subset of the AP hardware that will still do the safety stuff.

Reactions: Grendal