Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled my order today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These thoughts went through my head. While some people still don't like the turn signals, and I know it is not the best, there are many more people who still have the car and are living with it and say no big deal. But I understand if not your only car.

My wife is not excited about this car coming. She drives alot when we are together. She points to the yoke, blinkers and regenerative breaking as the issue she is worried about. She points out Ill get use to it, but she will have tougher time.

We are picking up car Monday in Savannah and heading to Atl and she is nervous about the trip. She already has range anxiety! ( What if there is a traffic jam!) And she is pretty chill most of time.

I'd bet your kid will get used to your yoke about ten times faster than you can, so don't go blaming it on the kid. Your reasoning would insist that he couldn't drive anything but an automatic because he could never learn where to put that stick thingy that sticks out of the floor,
Again, I never said the yoke is the issue. And yes, everyone in my family can drive a manual; including my 14 and 15 year old kids. They can even drive a tractor, a boat, a plane, and go-karts. The safety issues involved with not having the turn signal stalk and horn button location is the issue. There may be crashes because of the yoke or the goofy controls. Personally, I decided to not worry about the controls and cancel the order. Problem solved.

These thoughts went through my head. While some people still don't like the turn signals, and I know it is not the best, there are many more people who still have the car and are living with it and say no big deal. But I understand if not your only car.

My wife is not excited about this car coming. She drives alot when we are together. She points to the yoke, blinkers and regenerative breaking as the issue she is worried about. She points out Ill get use to it, but she will have tougher time.

We are picking up car Monday in Savannah and heading to Atl and she is nervous about the trip. She already has range anxiety! ( What if there is a traffic jam!) And she is pretty chill most of time.
It’s weird that people worry about the regen braking. I love it on our MY. My brother-in-law was looking into buying a MY and he drove our car and said, “nope. The brakes are weird.” That was that. Lol

Congrats on the car. I’m sure you guys will love it. Not buying gas is a blessing.

It’s weird that people worry about the regen braking. I love it on our MY. My brother-in-law was looking into buying a MY and he drove our car and said, “nope. The brakes are weird.” That was that. Lol

Congrats on the car. I’m sure you guys will love it. Not buying gas is a blessing.

The regen/one-pedal driving is one of the best features to me.

Yokes are idiotic on non-race cars.

There are many reasons why a car could become available. Tesla's weird allocation system is one of them. For quite a while, there were Plaids available her locally.

I'd buy a gokart or race car with a yolk, but that's it. Sometimes I have to do this thing called turning around. The turn signal stuff it awful. The horn is awful. Whoever is doing ergonomics for Tesla needs to be fired.

• Funny
Reactions: Dan_Foster and SO16
I'm convinced that if you grew up driving a yoke, you would think round wheels and stalks are ridiculous. a 16yo new driver will have zero problems learning with one.

My 18yo has driven a few hundred miles. Backed into a supercharger spot, did a 3pt turn into a garage, round-abouts, etc. Not one issue. He even used the horn without hiccup. I have almost 12k miles on it in 15 states (including mountain road driving). A lot of hype over nothing.

Reactions: SO16
Nothing wrong with canceling a car you won’t be happy with!

Hopefully soon Tesla will offer a more conventional control option for people that want it.

One thing to think about, though…

Teslas are retaining their value so well right now that you could likely sell it for around what you paid for it if it turns out that you and your family members just can’t get used to it.

Most people so far are finding that after the initial adjustment period the yoke and controls are ok and can live with them.
Tesla's lose their value just like any other car. We bought a used 2016 Model X with 41,000 miles and it looks brand new inside and out. I have the original window sticker and the original owner paid $152,950.00 in Sept. 15, 2016, so not including tax and license they lost $92,950.00 in 5 years. But after that initial value reduction, they do hold their value, but losing $92,950.00 would be a hard pill to swallow.

My 18yo has driven a few hundred miles. Backed into a supercharger spot, did a 3pt turn into a garage, round-abouts, etc. Not one issue. He even used the horn without hiccup. I have almost 12k miles on it in 15 states (including mountain road driving). A lot of hype over nothing.
Those young folks do a lot of gaming and have excellent hand eye coordination, esp adept as using their thumbs.

Tesla's lose their value just like any other car. We bought a used 2016 Model X with 41,000 miles and it looks brand new inside and out. I have the original window sticker and the original owner paid $152,950.00 in Sept. 15, 2016, so not including tax and license they lost $92,950.00 in 5 years. But after that initial value reduction, they do hold their value, but losing $92,950.00 would be a hard pill to swallow.
Yet in another example, my "Stealth" Model 3 Performance is going for only $3k-$5k less two years later than it was new. But for sure, over time the used car market will correct itself, and it'll be worth what a typical used car should be worth.

A friend just took delivery of a refresh LR and was skeptical of the Yoke and Controls. He absolutely loves it.
The only thing that he said was really awkward was backing up with the Yoke.

I still screw up the AutoPilot Lever on my Model X after 2 years, so I perfectly understand.
Your muscle memory can get all messed up.

And OP is right. It could be a reject, return or something if it suddenly appears. Risky at that price.

Reactions: SO16
Yokes are idiotic on non-race cars.

There are many reasons why a car could become available. Tesla's weird allocation system is one of them. For quite a while, there were Plaids available her locally.

I'd buy a gokart or race car with a yolk, but that's it. Sometimes I have to do this thing called turning around. The turn signal stuff it awful. The horn is awful. Whoever is doing ergonomics for Tesla needs to be fired.
I here you. I walked into a Verizon store and they are telling me that my pager is no longer needed. They have these handheld devices that work as a flashlight, scientific calculator, phone, voice recorder, messenger that requires to be plugged in every single night. And then this guy at the store tells me that they have only been allocated 20 phones with an EDD of Thursday or Friday which could slip and that I would have to wait because others already reserved them.

I‘d buy a flip phone with an actual touch pad with real buttons, but that’s it. These new phones that have to be updated with new software all the time is awful. The no headset jack on these phones is awful. Whoever engineered these $ 1,000+ Apple Max Pro Rose Gold devices that you then need to pay extra for a case to protect them should be fired.

I think Tesla is making a huge mistake by not offering the normal steering wheel as an option for the folks who don't like the yoke steering wheel. I read on here and other forums where there are people who have cancelled or decided to not buy a Tesla due to the yoke. One person on this site said they even put money down on a Lucid instead. The folks who ordered and like the yoke would have ordered and bought the Tesla even if the yoke didn't exist, but the folks who are cancelling or buying some place else would have stayed with Tesla also. How many sales Tesla is losing due to the yoke, who knows, but losing folks to competitors will hurt eventually, especially now that there are other EV options besides Tesla, and there will be more as time goes by. Tesla needs to be smart from here on out.

I here you. I walked into a Verizon store and they are telling me that my pager is no longer needed. They have these handheld devices that work as a flashlight, scientific calculator, phone, voice recorder, messenger that requires to be plugged in every single night. And then this guy at the store tells me that they have only been allocated 20 phones with an EDD of Thursday or Friday which could slip and that I would have to wait because others already reserved them.

I‘d buy a flip phone with an actual touch pad with real buttons, but that’s it. These new phones that have to be updated with new software all the time is awful. The no headset jack on these phones is awful. Whoever engineered these $ 1,000+ Apple Max Pro Rose Gold devices that you then need to pay extra for a case to protect them should be fired.
I disagree with your analogy, smartphones are a great piece of technology when compared to a pager. It’s not even close at how much more functionality you get with a smartphone.

A yoke provides no technological advancement over a round wheel, the ergonomics are awkward at best and turn signals being buttons is just a change for changes sake, there’s no improvement, it’s just different. Not everyone is going to like something different especially when that something provides no meaningful benefit.

I think Tesla is making a huge mistake by not offering the normal steering wheel as an option for the folks who don't like the yoke steering wheel. I read on here and other forums where there are people who have cancelled or decided to not buy a Tesla due to the yoke. One person on this site said they even put money down on a Lucid instead. The folks who ordered and like the yoke would have ordered and bought the Tesla even if the yoke didn't exist, but the folks who are cancelling or buying some place else would have stayed with Tesla also. How many sales Tesla is losing due to the yoke, who knows, but losing folks to competitors will hurt eventually, especially now that there are other EV options besides Tesla, and there will be more as time goes by. Tesla needs to be smart from here on out.
I wouldn’t mind the yoke if the horn was the center and proper turn signals. Maybe Yoke 2.0 will arrive someday.

I disagree with your analogy, smartphones are a great piece of technology when compared to a pager. It’s not even close at how much more functionality you get with a smartphone.

A yoke provides no technological advancement over a round wheel, the ergonomics are awkward at best and turn signals being buttons is just a change for changes sake, there’s no improvement, it’s just different. Not everyone is going to like something different especially when that something provides no meaningful benefit.
That‘s fair. But I don’t think someone should get fired over the yoke. I agree that they should offer a round steering wheel.

Anyway, after thinking overnight I’ve decided to cancel my order for a reason ....
No idea if it really matters, but in your shoes I would make a special point of requesting that it officially states the reasons for cancellation. Perhaps Tesla might listen and care, perhaps not. It's a bit like voting on referendums.

Reactions: AMPd