Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled my order today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a MS LR in June and yesterday I was notified it was in Atlanta and was ready to be picked up. It was a sudden notice because my account said it wouldn’t be here for another 2 months. The SA said it is prepped, washed and ready to go. My guess is someone else didn’t like the car or fit/finish. Anyway, after thinking overnight I’ve decided to cancel my order for a reason that is both dumb and reasonable at the same time.

Why cancel? Because of the driving controls. We have a soon to be 16 year old and he loves driving our MY LR. He would be driving the S and I don’t like him learning on a car without a stalk like every other car in the planet. We have 10 cars with 3 drivers, so adding the MS would be a confusing proposition for me and my son to switch between. I’m too old to not hit the center of the wheel when I need to honk the horn in a panic situation. And I can’t standing the turn signal buttons. That’s nuts. Not having turn signal stalk is not optimal for a new driver or us old folks. Really, spending $10 to add a turn signal stalk should have been a $200 option IMO.

I think we’d get used to the yoke, the PDNR controls, and the new way of turning on the self driving mode.

I was hoping Tesla would offer a center horn button and turn signal stalk, but it didn’t happen. So there’s a black MS LR sitting in the north Atlanta deliver center needing a home. I’m sure it was sold quickly to the next person in line. Nobody at Tesla cares if I don’t like the new controls. It’s a shame they don’t listen to customers; but that’s the nazi soup guy way.

Nothing wrong with canceling a car you won’t be happy with!

Hopefully soon Tesla will offer a more conventional control option for people that want it.

One thing to think about, though…

Teslas are retaining their value so well right now that you could likely sell it for around what you paid for it if it turns out that you and your family members just can’t get used to it.

Most people so far are finding that after the initial adjustment period the yoke and controls are ok and can live with them.

Yeah, I thought about taking delivery and reselling it. But I’ve sold 5 cars this year and in Georgia they might think I’m a dealer and fine me. So I let it go this afternoon. Kind of sad. But it’s a good decision based on the uneasy feeling we have about the controls.

I can see how others get used to things in the refreshed model. I’m sure I would too, but I switch off cars just about every day and I don’t want to restart the learning curve every time I get in the MS for the turn signals and horn. The PDNR wouldn’t bother me. I think all my cars have pretty different gear selection systems, from manual transmissions to rotary dial in a Ram truck. I also think the yoke would be fine. But those dang turn signals and horn were the deal breaker. Sad, but true.

10 cars. Wow. Impressive!

Not mad at you at all for your reasons for cancelling. And totally agree, especially on the horn aspect. Literally a dumb decision. ZERO benefit to that decision. Im guessing the test guys knew it was dumb, but from what Ive read, you dont stand up to Elon. Or, you get fired
I need to get rid of some of the cars. Too many! My wife says I’m becoming a car hoarder.

It’s hard to argue with Elon’s success. Yet, as they grow there must be some independence in management. It’s not like it was when Enzo Ferrai and Henry Ford were running their businesses. Today people have way too many choices and social media is quick to take a company down. If Elon truly believes in the stalkless world with yokes for everyone, then do it across the board and see what happens to MS and M3 sales.

I ordered a MS LR in June and yesterday I was notified it was in Atlanta and was ready to be picked up. It was a sudden notice because my account said it wouldn’t be here for another 2 months. The SA said it is prepped, washed and ready to go. My guess is someone else didn’t like the car or fit/finish. Anyway, after thinking overnight I’ve decided to cancel my order for a reason that is both dumb and reasonable at the same time.

Why cancel? Because of the driving controls. We have a soon to be 16 year old and he loves driving our MY LR. He would be driving the S and I don’t like him learning on a car without a stalk like every other car in the planet. We have 10 cars with 3 drivers, so adding the MS would be a confusing proposition for me and my son to switch between. I’m too old to not hit the center of the wheel when I need to honk the horn in a panic situation. And I can’t standing the turn signal buttons. That’s nuts. Not having turn signal stalk is not optimal for a new driver or us old folks. Really, spending $10 to add a turn signal stalk should have been a $200 option IMO.

I think we’d get used to the yoke, the PDNR controls, and the new way of turning on the self driving mode.

I was hoping Tesla would offer a center horn button and turn signal stalk, but it didn’t happen. So there’s a black MS LR sitting in the north Atlanta deliver center needing a home. I’m sure it was sold quickly to the next person in line. Nobody at Tesla cares if I don’t like the new controls. It’s a shame they don’t listen to customers; but that’s the nazi soup guy way.

Seems reasonable to me. I don’t understand why anyone would give you a “thumbs down” reaction for simply stating a personal preference.

You do what is best for you - not going to argue with you - get what makes you happy.

As a note, my 17yo son drove the Tesla for the first time. He has been driving a 2015 lifted Wrangler for 2 years. On the first round about he giggled about how easy it was to drive. He never missed a turn, parked, did 3pt turns and always signaled well. He drove for about 1.5 hours that afternoon. He went right back to his Wrangler. Never missed a beat.

The young ones pick this stuff up pretty easily and adjust quickly.

I think the yoke would be ok, but I felt the turn signals and horn would be a problem.

Do not overthink something you have not yet tried. Cancel the order if unsure and wait to test drive one - then make your decision. I think you will see that all the hype on the yoke and buttons is a real nothingburger.

Yeah, I thought about taking delivery and reselling it. But I’ve sold 5 cars this year and in Georgia they might think I’m a dealer and fine me. So I let it go this afternoon. Kind of sad. But it’s a good decision based on the uneasy feeling we have about the controls.

I can see how others get used to things in the refreshed model. I’m sure I would too, but I switch off cars just about every day and I don’t want to restart the learning curve every time I get in the MS for the turn signals and horn. The PDNR wouldn’t bother me. I think all my cars have pretty different gear selection systems, from manual transmissions to rotary dial in a Ram truck. I also think the yoke would be fine. But those dang turn signals and horn were the deal breaker. Sad, but true.
You should find one on Turo and rent one for a day or two. I actually like the yoke and I'm already used to the turn signal/horn buttons. Even if I didn't like the yoke (or the buttons,) I wouldn't care because the car is amazing.
Edit: or meet up with a TMC member with a refresh in your area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier and Big Earl
You do what is best for you - not going to argue with you - get what makes you happy.

As a note, my 17yo son drove the Tesla for the first time. He has been driving a 2015 lifted Wrangler for 2 years. On the first round about he giggled about how easy it was to drive. He never missed a turn, parked, did 3pt turns and always signaled well. He drove for about 1.5 hours that afternoon. He went right back to his Wrangler. Never missed a beat.

The young ones pick this stuff up pretty easily and adjust quickly.
Yup the yoke took me an hour to get used to it. The blinker buttons took a bit longer but it's nothing. If Tesla offered me a free switch to a round wheel with stalks, I'd 100% keep the yoke with buttons.

Reactions: SO16 and Hayseed_MS
I need to get rid of some of the cars. Too many! My wife says I’m becoming a car hoarder.

It’s hard to argue with Elon’s success. Yet, as they grow there must be some independence in management. It’s not like it was when Enzo Ferrai and Henry Ford were running their businesses. Today people have way too many choices and social media is quick to take a company down. If Elon truly believes in the stalkless world with yokes for everyone, then do it across the board and see what happens to MS and M3 sales.
The real reason you canceled is because you were afraid the Tesla would make your other cars feel slow hah

I'd bet your kid will get used to your yoke about ten times faster than you can, so don't go blaming it on the kid. Your reasoning would insist that he couldn't drive anything but an automatic because he could never learn where to put that stick thingy that sticks out of the floor, much less that he'd need to push in that left pedal when he tried to move that stick thingy. I wouldn't be surprised if he already knows how to drive a shift stick and use a clutch. If he doesn't, I can teach him in five minutes just like I taught my younger cousins. And as to using the shifter, I didn't see Chrysler worrying about pushing buttons on the dash to change gears, and neither did the new owners.

Just think of the people who had to change their way of thinking, and quit pulling on the steering wheel and hollering "WHOA!" whenever they wanted to stop. It's the old geezers that can't change with the times. And I mean the old THINKERS who've grown inflexible.

I can see where switching cars (between yoke and non-yoke) often could be problematic.
I can't. And I'm 77. I had no problem switching to plugging in at my garage as opposed to driving a mile to the service station to fill up a tank with explosive fluid. If you get so old that you can't change, I wonder how you adapted to a cell phone you could carry in your pocket as opposed to a chunk of plastic that sat on your desk with a big plastic dial on it. Yeah, change is hard for some folks, but if you think about it, the only thing permanent IS change.