Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled My Reservation - Refund Timeline is Rediculous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to cancel my reservation for a variety of reasons last month. I sent an email to ownership on Feb 21st requesting cancellation of the reservation and for the refund to be processed. I received a response on Feb 25th asking me to call to confirm, hoping that I'd change my mind. I called to confirm. March 6th comes and I email about the status of the refund. The rep responds that it takes 20 business days to process a refund. I paid via Paypal, so all someone needs to do is go into the account and click refund, but that takes a month. It amazes me how fast some companies are to take your money, but the second you want it back its an extremely painful process.

I decided to cancel my reservation for a variety of reasons last month. I sent an email to ownership on Feb 21st requesting cancellation of the reservation and for the refund to be processed. I received a response on Feb 25th asking me to call to confirm, hoping that I'd change my mind. I called to confirm. March 6th comes and I email about the status of the refund. The rep responds that it takes 20 business days to process a refund. I paid via Paypal, so all someone needs to do is go into the account and click refund, but that takes a month. It amazes me how fast some companies are to take your money, but the second you want it back its an extremely painful process.

That's the norm. Sorry to hear you will not be a Model S owner. Hopefully in a few years you will become one. What were some of your reasons?

That's the norm. Sorry to hear you will not be a Model S owner. Hopefully in a few years you will become one. What were some of your reasons?

- Deadline to decide at 2012 pricing was Feb 12th, could get a test drive booked until the 12th so had little time to decide.
- No AWD + Living in Canada.
- Nearest service center is over 2 hours away.
- Price

- Deadline to decide at 2012 pricing was Feb 12th, could get a test drive booked until the 12th so had little time to decide.
- Price

fair enough. but a small question. why did you reserve in the first place? these are not circumstance that were unknown.... except maybe for the test drive bit........?! just curious.

fair enough. but a small question. why did you reserve in the first place? these are not circumstance that were unknown.... except maybe for the test drive bit........?! just curious.

sounds like it was an impulse buy and had buyers remorse later. Of course it was a reservation and not the actual purchase.

I guess we really wont know unless the OP comes back. However, test drives can be a tough nut when you live far away from test drive cars. It could cause cancellations for others besides impulse buyers. There has to be a way for TMC to help. Just don't know what it would be if Res holders don't come here. A lot don't.
I would definitely be willing to give test drives to res holders for their convenience. My only drive was graciously arranged by DSM363. I'd love to pay it forward.
How can we do this most effectively?

Where in Canada do you live? Here in southern Ontario AWD only has a large benefit a few days a year when the roads actually have snow on them.

Hopefully another Tesla will fit your needs better in the future. :)

Where in Canada do you live? Here in southern Ontario AWD only has a large benefit a few days a year when the roads actually have snow on them.

Hopefully another Tesla will fit your needs better in the future. :)

He said he was from Ottawa. The idea of no AWD being a deal breaker is debatable but it was well known that it wouldn't be there when he made his reservation so it has to be a precognition of buyer's remorse.

This past summer at the AMPED test drive tour in NJ, they told me at the NY Tesla Dealer that they are only giving test drives to reservation holders so I didn't reserve but they called me up a week a later that they have a few spots open for non reservation holders. So I went and I drove the car and I was amazed about everything it , how fast it was, technology etc. so I put down a reservation on the spot. If it wasn't for the test drive I would have never reserved it !! Now they give test drives for anybody which is the smart thing.

When I cancelled, the money was credited back to my credit card in about 5 days. The process was painless (well, getting the money back was, cancelling still hurts 5 months latter)

I'm in the similar boat as the OP. Cancelled my reservation last month and received confirmation email on Feb 19th. No refund yet. Seems like they end up using the deposit and have to find ways of getting it back to the reservation holder.
Don't get me wrong. I love Tesla and their philosophy. But my reasons for canceling were the fact that 40 kWh battery wasn't going to be enough for my driving needs especially after realizing that real world numbers could differ greatly from the EPA estimates. And test driving a 80kWh Performance doesn't quite give me the feel of how would the 40kWh drive.
I look forward to getting the Gen III where I can afford a larger battery pack.

Don't get me wrong. I love Tesla and their philosophy. But my reasons for canceling were the fact that 40 kWh battery wasn't going to be enough for my driving needs especially after realizing that real world numbers could differ greatly from the EPA estimates. And test driving a 80kWh Performance doesn't quite give me the feel of how would the 40kWh drive.
I look forward to getting the Gen III where I can afford a larger battery pack.
I agree with you.

I first started and thought a 40kwh pack would be fine for me. After reading the real energy consumption & especially during the cold winter in Canada, I will need to spend an additional $12-24K to get the bigger battery pack.

Problem is, the specs seem to be a bit of a moving target. Banana Leaf trim was an option when I reserved, and I'm not even sure if the car I'm picking up Saturday will have fog lights or not (Fog lights disappeared from the options page, but were there when I reserved too).

Funny, just the opposite experience for me vs. the OP...I reserved so I could do a test drive at the Get Amped event, fully intending to cancel a few days later. After the test drive I kept my reservation planning to get a 40kwh, then bumped up to the 60kwh! Well, to each their own!

- Price
Have you considered a Model X?

AWD = Model X
Service Center distance = Ranger service.
Price = "comprable to Model S" more time to save.
Test Drive= Model X ride should be similar to model X. plenty of time for a test drive before manufacturing begins

After reserving, we waited for 7 months for delivery and during that time i noticed how the worry would set in every time I read something about the build quality or range or cold weather. Frankly, I was not so impressed with the test drive fit and finish. now that I have taken deliver of a production car and put 2,000 miles on in under a month, I have to say, the car is beautiful, very well designed and the fit and finish is of very high quality. The stuff people tend to complain about are fixable and minor. When you are waiting and on the fence it's easy for the little stuff to become paper tigers, it's hard to know if they are signs of systemic issues and Tesla is a new start up, it's only natural to have second thoughts. It turns out, I don't care that some times the rear view camera screen overlaps with some of the text, that the sound system takes some personalization to make it delight my ears, the few little things are just a matter of software fine tuning or at the very worst require a visit to a service center, such is life with a new technology, I have not seen any show stoppers that would make me regret owning the car. nothing I've seen suggests there is something inherently wrong with the car or the company. for a slight inconveniences early on you are rewarded with an unparalleled driving experience, something truly revolutionary and the excitement of being a part of a see change in car technology, a thrill few people get to experience.

as for the range, two days ago I did a little experiment, it had been pretty cold that night (upper 30's) I drove 150 spirited miles round trip driving at least 5 mph over the speed limit, which meant 75+ mph most of the way and aggressively passing in the left lane, heat set to 72 degrees, 550W stereo blasting, raining, strong head wind, some elevation change, I even sat "idling" with the heat on for an hour while reading a book overlooking the ocean at my destination, I returned home having used exactly 70% of the charge. I paid virtually no attention to the rated or ideal miles projection, paid all my attention to the state of charge bars, which are fragmented on a hidden screen. Few people it seams, have caught on to the fact that the actual graduated battery indicator can be brought up on the touch screen by pressing the little battery icon, it shows 10 hatch marks, more like a regular gas gauge, if you are trying to max range, this is a screen you want to keep your eye on when you are getting down to a quarter tank, the close up reveals a lot more remaining energy than you'd think by looking on the dash and it shows the remaining miles estimation as well. Based on my experience I could have gone quite a bit further, over 215 miles and that's in bad weather and driving like a mad man and sitting in the car with the heat on for an hour. there are a few things you have to do with this car in cold weather if you want to max out the range, which most people rarely need to think about on a day to day baiss. To max out the range in cold weather it's pretty simple, leave some charging to be done about an hour prior to leaving, this preconditions (warm) the battery, set the charging to "max range" mode, set HVAC to "Max Range". most of this can be done from the mobile app. When you leave, pull up the climate control screen and take everything off auto, AC off (it can still use energy when it's cold out), direct air to feet and windshield, fan to 3. this keeps you warm and the windows clear without eating range excessively, and of course slowing down a little will substantially extend the range.

if you are going up significantly in elevation for a prolonged period, you will need to plan for charging more frequently and or adjust speed. the EPA rating for the 85 kW is pretty spot on.

No one car is for everyone but I am concerned that some folks are getting cold feat and canceling their reservation based on fears that, when in reality, they would be very happy with the car. If you are finding yourself getting worried, I would highly recommend doing more test drives and really trying to put it all in perspective so you don't loose the opportunity to experience what is making so many people smile ear to ear. I can report back, from the other side of the inevitable process of getting the jitters, this car is well worth the money and the wait!

Last edited: