TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cancelled my X....1.1% ROI

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Superloud, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Superloud

Superloud Member

I ended up buying a used S instead.

I called to cancel on 4/8/16. They said their policy is that if it's been less than a year since you reserved, you'll get the refund back on your credit card. But, since it had been over a year for me, they sent me a check. Which means...since my credit card gives me 1.1% cash back, I made a cool $55 on my investment. So, who ever said you get nothing for letting Tesla keep your reservation money? ;-)

Also, I received the check on 4/21/16 by the most comical fedex route I've ever seen (see attached photo)

Attached Files:

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
  2. Jeff Andrews

Jeff Andrews Member

San Luis Obispo, California, United States
    That check is well-traveled! I'm almost jealous.

• Funny x 1
  3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

That's the FedEx overnight model. Spend $10 and send a package to yourself from/to the same address. :)

• Like x 1
  4. NewCow

NewCow Member

Couldn't they have just gotten in a car and driven the 10 mins?

• Like x 1
  5. BryanJ

BryanJ Member

#winning

• Like x 1
  6. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

I was so tempted to do what you just did! I did however confirm the first possible chance I had back in early Jan. I assume you never confirmed your order correct? TM had told me they could just swap your 5k and put it towards an S purchase (new or used) surprised they didn't do that for you.

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

It is odd. But UPS does the same. Apparently, it is less expensive and actually faster to to send everything to the hub and then back out again. They've been doing it for years. Both companies hubs are in TN. I would have thought something more central would be better. But they know more than me.

8. deonb

deonb Active Member

That check needs its own carbon tax...

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  9. fawu

fawu Member

Well, it's your card issuing bank who is the other winner here. Tesla of course had to pay the 2-4% interchange fee on your initial payment.

10. Superloud

Superloud Member

I ended up buying used off craigslist. I was kind of in a holding pattern. Not sure if I should go new X or used S. After the great CPO purge of February, I didn't see a whole lot of value in a lot of CPO cars. So I was taking pot shots here and there on craigslist and one surprisingly panned out and I found a deal I couldn't refuse and uber'd across the bay that minute.

One of my biggest beefs with confirming my X was that I wanted a 70D (now turns out it would have been a 75D) and I hated that there didn't even seem to be a good level of certainty that I'd get it in 2016. I didn't want to make my $5k non-refundable when 6-12 months could go by before I got my car. To me that was unacceptable.

It seems to be turning out that 75Ds will be delivered earlier than expected - and at the original $80k base price would have been tempting. But...that's life. I think I'll be happy with my S for up to 5 years and then possibly upgrade when true autopilot is out.

• Informative x 1